Popular atheist who is totally not racist quits Patreon in solidarity with Milo and Sargon of Akkad

RedSoxFan9

Almost all arguments about freedom of expression quickly turn into people talking past each other while conflating the legal right or first amendment with the principal with the value which holds that expression and dissent are generally good even when offensive.

12 minutes ago, Rev said:

expression and dissent are generally good even when offensive.

I used to think this was true, but I’m not so certain anymore. Too many people are convinced to do pretty heinous things because of expression/speech.

32 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

The average person does not understand what the hell freedom of speech is. 

Hey remember when the freedom of speech loving conservatives stood up for Kaepernick? 

I remember all too well. :daydream:

Freedom of speech has turned into, "White supremacists are owed a platform on social media. Leave them alone. :angry:" and conservatives continue to misunderstand what freedom of speech actually is.

So weird that freedom of speech turns into freedom from criticism or consequence, which is infringement of others' free speech.

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Freedom of speech has turned into, "White supremacists are owed a platform on social media. Leave them alone. :angry:" and conservatives continue to misunderstand what freedom of speech actually is.

So weird that freedom of speech turns into freedom from criticism or consequence, which is infringement of others' free speech.

Even on a lesser scale not related to politics, people think you can just say whatever in any context and it’s protected lol. Usually after someone is fired for saying something stupid. 

Just now, Paperclyp said:

Even on a lesser scale not related to politics, people think you can just say whatever in any context and it’s protected lol. Usually after someone is fired for saying something stupid. 

Can you imagine some of these guys at work?

"Boss, you're a prick."

"You're fired."

"Nope, Constitution bitch."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

He’s doing probably better than if he would have continued with his career. 

His brain will thank him one day for getting blackballed by the NFL owners.

30 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Oreo Cookies’ Gay Pride Backlash: 25 Companies And Products Boycotted For Supporting LGBT Rights

You just know those are the same snowflakes who get upset about the boycotts of O'Reilly/Cucker/et al.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I used to think this was true, but I’m not so certain anymore. Too many people are convinced to do pretty heinous things because of expression/speech.

The people who generally spout that kind of happy horseshit will more than likely NEVER be on the receiving end of any truly repugnant examples of so-called "freedom of expression".  Never.

18 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

The people who generally spout that kind of happy horseshit will more than likely NEVER be on the receiving end of any truly repugnant examples of so-called "freedom of expression".  Never.

And by repugnant, it's more than, "He hurt my feelings."

Calling someone a racist is worse than racism or being a white supremacist cuz free speech or something. btw wtf are these people kneeling?

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

And by repugnant, it's more than, "He hurt my feelings."

Calling someone a racist is worse than racism or being a white supremacist cuz free speech or something. btw wtf are these people kneeling?

The New York Times is still paying the woman who said we shouldn't be mean to MAGA chuds so that we don't trigger them into voting for Trump again. 

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

Why did you edit your post?  I think the other one is far more representative of standard group think. 

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

I'm curious who believes that calling someone a racist is worse than being an actual racist?  I'm not saying that there aren't people who hold that view, I'm just asking where you are seeing this idea?

6 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

Why did you edit your post?  I think the other one is far more representative of standard group think. 

Because I didn't feel like raising blood pressures today like I did yesterday :p

And for the record, I really have zero issues with so-called "groupthink", even if it results in a "suboptimal outcome".  

1 minute ago, Boyle5150 said:

I'm curious who believes that calling someone a racist is worse than being an actual racist?  I'm not saying that there aren't people who hold that view, I'm just asking where you are seeing this idea?

Racists and white people who don't actually care since they're not affected.

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

Correct, white people who aren't affected and get angrier at people being called a racist than an actual racist.

What does that have to do with white people?  

Also, can you give me any examples of "white people" getting upset at calling someone a racist but who also don't get upset at actual racists?

It's a racist and sexist generalization against white males. But it's ok because they're white males. It doesn't hurt my feelings or anything; it's just not worth my time. There are plenty of non-white females and homosexuals who share my values for freedom of expression.

• Like 1

Just now, Boyle5150 said:

What does that have to do with white people?  

Also, can you give me any examples of "white people" getting upset at calling someone a racist but who also don't get upset at actual racists?

Sure, your average conservative white FB warrior who isn't affected by the people calling for a white ethnostate.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rev said:

It's a racist and sexist generalization against white males. But it's ok because they're white males. It doesn't hurt my feelings or anything; it's just not worth my time. There are plenty of non-white females and homosexuals who share my values for freedom of expression.

I mean, I suppose that's easy for you to say considering your'e a straight white male.  

5 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

sure it does

It matters because its not a something that is based on being white or any other color, but rather the individual ideology.  

Their ideology causes their race to be a status symbol, maybe. Straight white people who aren't affected by any of the heinous racist and homophobic history in the country and world are more prone to easily call slavery an "untenable political belief." I've yet to find a sane black person who would call it that.

@sblfilms had said at one point, in relation to some dog whistle white supremacist shit that was discussed in a thread, "I don't give some of my white friends as much of a benefit of the doubt. They know this stuff is racist; they just don't care." 

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

Their ideology causes their race to be a status symbol, maybe. Straight white people who aren't affected by any of the heinous racist and homophobic history in the country and world are more prone to easily call slavery an "untenable political belief." I've yet to find a sane black person who would call it that.

@sblfilms had said at one point, in relation to some dog whistle white supremacist shit that was discussed in a thread, "I don't give some of my white friends as much of a benefit of the doubt. They know this stuff is racist; they just don't care." 

Much can be said about a great many things that aren't related to black slavery from all other races, not that it should be dismissed, not at all, but this idea that being a white male is what classifies the racism is just ignorant babble.  

Just now, Boyle5150 said:

Much can be said about a great many things that aren't related to black slavery from all other races, not that it should be dismissed, not at all, but this idea that being a white male is what classifies the racism is just ignorant babble.  

The first part makes no sense, and the second part isn't what I said. Are you just bored?