Popular atheist who is totally not racist quits Patreon in solidarity with Milo and Sargon of Akkad

RedSoxFan9

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

How can you claim to know that? 

And what's stopping dodger or anyone else from doing the same? Sorry, but I don't give them a pass. 

I'm not giving them a pass with their views.  I think they hold some abhorrent views, but they only hold those views because of reasons outside of their control.  

Absolutely everything we do is predicated on prior experiences combined with our IQ and luck. 

3 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

I'm not giving them a pass with their views.  I think they hold some abhorrent views, but they only hold those views because of reasons outside of their control.  

Absolutely everything we do is predicated on prior experiences combined with our IQ and luck. 

And I'm saying I don't agree with that notion to the extent you do. Our experiences can shape us, but we can choose to rise above our most primal instincts and be better people.

10 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

And I'm saying I don't agree with that notion to the extent you do. Our experiences can shape us, but we can choose to rise above our most primal instincts and be better people.

How is looking down on everyone who doesn't share your political views making you a better person?

11 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

If you have an IQ of 80, can you?  If you are born with an IQ of 80, do you get to choose to do so?

3 minutes ago, Dodger said:

How is looking down on everyone who doesn't share your political views making you a better person?

I think what she means is that her values are better.  And you can absolutely have better values than someone else.  Her political views just tend to align with her values.

Just now, Dodger said:

As I've already stated in this very thread, we're way past the point of disagreeing with each other's political views. I disagreed with peoples' political views before Trump, when the most heated things we had to argue over were tax cuts and health care. 

Demonizing different racial and ethnic groups, treating them like they're not fully human, is not a political view. It's basic human decency and, yes, I will look down on people all day long who spout hateful, bigoted rhetoric. 

I will also look down on people who blatantly lie about my integrity as a nurse to score some internet point.

1 minute ago, Boyle5150 said:

I think what she means is that her values are better.  And you can absolutely have better values than someone else.  Her political views just tend to align with her values.

Sure you can, but when you walk around thinking you are better than everyone who doesn't share your values I question how great your values really are. 

Unless you're suggesting Dodger is borderline mentally retarded, I don't see the merit of arguing this point right now.

tell me the IQ threshold for when you can make better decisions? (and I am not saying Dodger has a low IQ, but I guarantee that it is lower than yours, at that's neither your choice nor his).  Or how about being born into poverty and choosing not to be poor.  Is it a simple choice?

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

As I've already stated in this very thread, we're way past the point of disagreeing with each other's political views. I disagreed with peoples' political views before Trump, when the most heated things we had to argue over were tax cuts and health care. 

Demonizing different racial and ethnic groups, treating them like they're not fully human, is not a political view. It's basic human decency and, yes, I will look down on people all day long who spout hateful, bigoted rhetoric. 

I will also look down on people who blatantly lie about my integrity as a nurse to score some internet point.

Hey remember when you just came in this thread and called me a dishonest twat even though I hadn't mentioned you at all in any reply all of what, 30 minutes ago? Good times. 

Also, I promise you if 1 million immigrants were sent to Arkansas, you'd eventually have a problem with it. 

2 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Also, I promise you if 1 million immigrants were sent to Arkansas, you'd eventually have a problem with it. 

I bet she wouldn't if they shared the same values as she did, and shared the same responsibilities, and didn't use up all the resources available to her. 

Just now, Boyle5150 said:

I bet she wouldn't if they shared the same values as she did, and shared the same responsibilities

And that’s great. But because some people may disagree with that and don’t want people simply walking into our country doesn’t make us bad people or racists. 

Just now, Boyle5150 said:

I bet she wouldn't if they shared the same values as she did, and shared the same responsibilities

You think each and every single immigrant who comes here does all of that?

As someone who spent 35 years in CA, let me assure you that isn't what is happening. 

1 minute ago, Boyle5150 said:

tell me the IQ threshold for when you can make better decisions? (and I am not saying Dodger has a low IQ, but I guarantee that it is lower than yours, at that's neither your choice nor his).  Or how about being born into poverty and choosing not to be poor.  Is it a simple choice?

I stand by my statements and I don't see the need for these additional arguments. The poverty argument really seems like it's coming out of left field. 

Just now, Dodger said:

Hey remember when you just came in this thread and called me a dishonest twat even though I hadn't mentioned you at all in any reply all of what, 30 minutes ago? Good times. 

You came into the thread spouting dishonest bullshit, how dare I say you're dishonest! Shocking!

Also, Arkansas only has about 3 million people. I'm sure exploding the population overnight would cause some issues, regardless of the origin of those folks. I have absolutely no problem with living among immigrants, some of my neighbors are immigrants. I work with a ton of immigrants. The vast majority of progressives, including myself, realize that this country can't absorb every single immigrant who wants to come here, having open borders, not vetting them, etc.We just believe in not demonizing brown people and blaming them for society's ills and we realize that most of them are good people who are just desperate to escape poverty and violence and want to make a better life for themselves and their children and should be treated with basic humanity. 

I stand by my statements and I don't see the need for these additional arguments. The poverty argument really seems like it's coming out of left field. 

It is the same argument.  What is the chance of someone in poverty escaping poverty?  It's a simple choice to make in order to get out of it.

4 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I don’t believe for a second that @CastlevaniaNut18treats anyone differently or gives shitty care to people because they may be watching Fox News. If she ever posted that it was probably because she was venting frustration. We all post crap that in the real world is far from what we actually do. 

I just wanted to make sure to thank you for that, publicly. The only thing I ever said was that I had a patient and his wife who were cheering on Hannity's racist bullshit and I said I didn't feel too horrible for pulling off the sticky EKG patches from his super hairy torso and I didn't linger around to chat with them. 

That's totally the same thing as letting someone die because they didn't have CNN on. :silly: 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

You came into the thread spouting dishonest bullshit, how dare I say you're dishonest! Shocking!

Also, Arkansas only has about 3 million people. I'm sure exploding the population overnight would cause some issues, regardless of the origin of those folks. I have absolutely no problem with living among immigrants, some of my neighbors are immigrants. I work with a ton of immigrants. The vast majority of progressives, including myself, realize that this country can't absorb every single immigrant who wants to come here, having open borders, not vetting them, etc.We just believe in not demonizing brown people and blaming them for society's ills and we realize that most of them are good people who are just desperate to escape poverty and violence and want to make a better life for themselves and their children and should be treated with basic humanity. 

Well fuck me would look at this, we fucking agree on something. I've never, ever said we can't have immigrants over here. All I've ever said is hey, we can't take everyone, let's have some controls and vetting of the process. That's it. Yet somehow I'm the bad guy, the dishonest twat, the guy with the low IQ, the guy who must hate the world and his life and everything around it, the guy who gets ad hominem after ad hominem thrown his way when we have the same exact damn beliefs. 

1 minute ago, Dodger said:

Well fuck me would look at this, we fucking agree on something. I've never, ever said we can't have immigrants over here. All I've ever said is hey, we can't take everyone, let's have some controls and vetting of the process. That's it. Yet somehow I'm the bad guy, the dishonest twat, the guy with the low IQ, the guy who must hate the world and his life and everything around it, the guy who gets ad hominem after ad hominem thrown his way when we have the same exact damn beliefs. 

Yeah, because your post I was initially referring to in the thread make that exact argument in a well-reasoned manner and you didn't spew dishonest garbage about liberals and the beliefs they hold. Every time I ever see you post about immigrants, its with a significant amount of contempt. I'm far from the only person who has noticed that.

You've also expressed a ton of dissatisfaction with your life.

And to be fair, I never suggested you have a low IQ. I don't see what merit that has, unless you're actually mentally retarded or on the border, which I don't think you are.