Popular atheist who is totally not racist quits Patreon in solidarity with Milo and Sargon of Akkad

RedSoxFan9

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

Sam Harris:

Atheists = awesome!

Judaism/Christianity = bad!

Islam = really bad! probably because they're mostly scary brown people to a Jewish upper-middle class guy like me

I honestly can't believe I have ever respected you on an intellectual level.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Paperclyp said:

I guess I don’t necessarily find Harris to be racist...

I think he discusses some uncomfortable topics. But he seems like he almost always has pretty sound arguments and comes from a genuine place... 

But maybe I’ve missed some stuff.

He's extremely anti-racist and spends a ton of time deriding racism and other forms of bigotry. Drooling idiots in the thread are conflating opposition to religion with racism because some religious people are brown. 

34 minutes ago, Rev said:

He's extremely anti-racist and spends a ton of time deriding racism and other forms of bigotry. Drooling idiots in the thread are conflating opposition to religion with racism because some religious people are brown. 

That has been my impression. 

If someone arguing otherwise has actual evidence to back up the racist claim, I’m all ears. 

9 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

That has been my impression. 

If someone arguing otherwise has actual evidence to back up the racist claim, I’m all ears. 

You'll see a lot of guilt by association, mind-reading and out of context quote-mining. It's the general strategy. I disagree with Harris on a handful of propositions but he's been extremely vocally opposed to racism and bigotry. He's spent countless hours arguing with people he's accused of being in league with like Peterson and Shapiro. He's also been one of the most vocal public figures attacking Trump in just about every imaginable way since 2016. 

Something that I think often gets lost in the deplatforming discussion is the reverse perspective. If you're a platform provider, any government effort to prevent you from banning a customer would be effectively compelling speech you disagree with. I think there's rightfully a careful consideration of when platforms should and should not ban people, but perhaps worse than censoring speech is forcing speech on you. CA got in trouble recently with their crisis pregnancy center law for exactly this. Forcing someone to promote speech they disagree with is a seriously problematic area.

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

Again like I said if I run onto something on Facebook, television, in a book, web page, etc. that I don’t agree with. That I think is hateful or horrible I simply choose for myself to not read or watch it. That’s why it’s called free speech and freedom of choice. 

Liberals have a pretty nice scam going on. Basically all of social media is owned and ran by liberals. So they can censor any right wing views under the guise of hey they are private business first amendment doesn't apply! But as we saw with Gab, which was literally right wing Twitter, they'll just shut that down too. It hosts hate speech, take it down! So you'll get taunted with well if you don't like FB, IG, YT, whatever else, go create a conservative supporting alternative! It doesn't matter, even if you did manage to do it they would just say your platform supports hate speech and shut it down.

Liberals have turned 1984 into a fucking instruction manual. Say anything that goes against liberal group think and they will deem it hate speech. They will doxx you. They will try and likely get you fired from your job. I forget who said it but there is a quote by someone "If you are conservative liberals want you broke and dead. They want your children brainwashed. And they think it's funny"

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Liberals have a pretty nice scam going on. Basically all of social media is owned and ran by liberals. So they can censor any right wing views under the guise of hey they are private business first amendment doesn't apply! But as we saw with Gab, which was literally right wing Twitter, they'll just shut that down too. It hosts hate speech, take it down! So you'll get taunted with well if you don't like FB, IG, YT, whatever else, go create a conservative supporting alternative! It doesn't matter, even if you did manage to do it they would just say your platform supports hate speech and shut it down.

Liberals have turned 1984 into a fucking instruction manual. Say anything that goes against liberal group think and they will deem it hate speech. They will doxx you. They will try and likely get you fired from your job. I forget who said it but there is a quote by someone "If you are conservative liberals want you broke and dead. They want your children brainwashed. And they think it's funny"

Isn't it wonderful? :daydream:

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Yeah they sure shut down that hate speech on Twitter and Facebook. 

Well-oiled censoring machines, they are. 

28 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Liberal_Fascism_(cover).jpg

3 minutes ago, Jose said:

So you're ok with people displaying Confederate and Nazi symbols in an office setting? You think their employer should not be allowed to fire them?

The problem is that "hate speech" has gone from Nazi and confederate symbols to anything short of full throated support for allowing infinity immigrants into your country. 

6 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Not as much as censorship. 

Preventing this kind of "censorship" means compelling organizations to promote speech they disagree with. So you'd rather have the government forcing people to broadcast speech they disagree with than allow private companies to limit the kind of speech they host? That feels like the far more authoritarian outcome to me.

1 minute ago, TwinIon said:

Preventing this kind of "censorship" means compelling organizations to promote speech they disagree with. So you'd rather have the government forcing people to broadcast speech they disagree with than allow private companies to limit the kind of speech they host? That feels like the far more authoritarian outcome to me.

Such a proposition effectively creates "censorship".

40 minutes ago, Jose said:

So you're ok with people displaying Confederate and Nazi symbols in an office setting? You think their employer should not be allowed to fire them?

First. Confederate and Nazi symbols are two different things entirely. But that’s a another argument for another day.