Popular atheist who is totally not racist quits Patreon in solidarity with Milo and Sargon of Akkad

RedSoxFan9

23 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Dafuq, you think I always agree with Wade? I don't even agree with him here! At least not in regards to his inconsistent views. 

There's just nothing to be accomplished here anymore. Go spend time with your wife and kids. 

Or did you get a divorce, because judging from your Discord picture I'm not sure?

Man, in a thread filled with shitposts, this beaut shines above the rest.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, gfxtwin said:

ITT a discussion about racism that gradually becomes several pages of honkeys arguing about what should/shouldn't be considered racist behavior, minus viewpoints of users who have experienced systemic racism.

I've experienced racism since racists mistake me for a Hispanic dude. :santasun:

Nothing systemic, doe.

Also, Wade's notion of objective/subjective is actually much more astute than any of you are giving it credit.

For example, imagine there is a red ball inside of a room. You and I experience a red ball; someone who is red-green colorblind experiences what we would consider a green ball; someone who is blind experiences just a ball, and then only through their ability to touch it; someone who is blind and lacks a sense of touch only knows the ball is there if they can hear it move; people outside the room don't experience the ball;  you could imagine Godzilla-sized beings, for whom the ball is no more consequential than an atom or molecule is to a person. Moreover, almost nothing about my personal experience with the ball is a priori; without external forces like language and culture, I may have no concept of things like 'red' or 'ball'. Even if you wanted to reduce the ball to measurements like circumference and the visible spectrum, those are concepts entirely based in language, which is subjective. Outside of ourselves, we more or less play the odds when we assume something is 'objective'...Granted, the odds are usually impossibly in our favor, but since you rubes want to dive this deep into it, even a margin that slight is relevant.

3 hours ago, Chris- said:

I have a philosophy degree from the top ranked program in the entire world, so I'm eminently qualified to say you are all dumb and should shut up.

As somebody who supports the man with a philosophy degree from the top ranked program in the entire world, I think everybody should shut down

• Thanks 2

I see a lot of “shut it down” and “I’m unable to talk about these tough subjects” but not a lot of “I’m able” or at least “willing” to discuss topics that are difficult to discuss.  

However, I understand that not a lot of people feel comfortable discussing such things, but I believe we should have an honest discussion without the hate and disdain for our fellow human.  

Let’s have a productive conversation where everyone realizes I’m right.  

Is that hat so hard to do??!!

• Haha 1

Where a lot of you have it wrong is that the feminine vs masculine subject is interpolated into a nationalism that assumes dialect as some sort of totality. NOW if you want to go into post-dialectic deconstruction by all means. But that only helps to convey that reality is simply a matter used to entrench a perception of narrativity that is wholly outdated. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Where a lot of you have it wrong is that the feminine vs masculine subject is interpolated into a nationalism that assumes dialect as some sort of totality. NOW if you want to go into post-dialectic deconstruction by all means. But that only helps to convey that reality is simply a matter used to entrench a perception of narrativity that is wholly outdated. 

Finally someone gets it. 

13 hours ago, Chris- said:

Also, Wade's notion of objective/subjective is actually much more astute than any of you are giving it credit.

For example, imagine there is a red ball inside of a room. You and I experience a red ball; someone who is red-green colorblind experiences what we would consider a green ball; someone who is blind experiences just a ball, and then only through their ability to touch it; someone who is blind and lacks a sense of touch only knows the ball is there if they can hear it move; people outside the room don't experience the ball;  you could imagine Godzilla-sized beings, for whom the ball is no more consequential than an atom or molecule is to a person. Moreover, almost nothing about my personal experience with the ball is a priori; without external forces like language and culture, I may have no concept of things like 'red' or 'ball'. Even if you wanted to reduce the ball to measurements like circumference and the visible spectrum, those are concepts entirely based in language, which is subjective. Outside of ourselves, we more or less play the odds when we assume something is 'objective'...Granted, the odds are usually impossibly in our favor, but since you rubes want to dive this deep into it, even a margin that slight is relevant.

This isn’t the objection people (including myself) were making to Wade’s comments on subjectivity. But that conversation was mostly in the other thread so you’ll have to head there.

Noteably, most of the people (all?) disagreeing with Wade’s claims are epistemic skeptics. That wasn’t the disagreement.

I have been told I speak English with an accent by several acquaintances in my life. It's a subtle type of prejudice, but prejudice all the same. I was born in NYC and raised in Jersey, I don't speak my native language with a fucking accent lol. This only happens if people learn my legal name (Jose) or they meet me with my wife, who does have a heavy accent. If I just introduce myself as Joe, I usually get people that think I am of Irish descent (which is partly true, but I digress).

11 hours ago, stepee said:

That's just because English and Germanic languages are inferior in that the words don't apply a feminine and masculine tense. I can assure you these arguments are uniquely very American "problems".

On 12/22/2018 at 4:06 PM, Chris- said:

I have a philosophy degree from the top ranked program in the entire world, so I'm eminently qualified to say you are all dumb and should shut up.

This gave me a good belly laugh once I realized you were serious.