Popular atheist who is totally not racist quits Patreon in solidarity with Milo and Sargon of Akkad

RedSoxFan9

4 hours ago, Rev said:

Believe it or not, some people in marginalized groups are super offended by this idea that they should just be listened to. They want to be challenged when they're wrong. They don't want to just be listened to and agreed with. Shocking I know.

I think the bigger issue is that most of America are not intellectuals who are willing to actually listen, REALLY listen, to the opinions of others and be open to changing their views on things. Sometimes you need to shut up and listen instead of yelling out your opinion. If you can’t listen with an open mind then you can’t have an engaging productive conversation about these things. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, johnny said:

I think the bigger issue is that most of America are not intellectuals who are willing to actually listen, REALLY listen, to the opinions of others and be open to changing their views on things. Sometimes you need to shut up and listen instead of yelling out your opinion. If you can’t listen with an open mind then you can’t have an engaging productive conversation about these things. 

Well yeah, I can't refute an argument if I don't listen to all of it. That's not what's being advocated or what I'm arguing against here. 

25 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I'm just letting everyone know that in any discussion with me that I will NEVER call you out on any of that "logical fallacy" stuff because I seriously don't give a damn about it.  In fact, if you DON'T use it on me, I'm gonna wonder exactly what the hell is wrong with you!

I honestly can’t think of a real world situation calling someone out for a logical fallacy helps a person’s argument.  That nonsense has no place outside of sexist YouTube videos and academic masturbation

29 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I'm just letting everyone know that in any discussion with me that I will NEVER call you out on any of that "logical fallacy" stuff because I seriously don't give a damn about it.  In fact, if you DON'T use it on me, I'm gonna wonder exactly what the hell is wrong with you!  

If it advances your case and maneuvers you into a "win", knock yourself out, dawg!

I wouldn’t call it going for a “win” but rather a greater form of intellectual honesty.  

Fyi, I just knocked myself out, dawg.  

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

Because the existence of both of them is largely in the "eye of the beholder", neither can make a claim to being "real" in any objective sense (not that such a thing even exists to begin with :p)

Having said that, I subjectively consider "fairness" to be "more real" than "rights" because the correction of a real or perceived disparity represents a more "tangible" notion (such as it is) than what I consider to be the quasi-metaphysical concept of rights.

Rights are just as real by that logic. You've lost all your footing here.

25 minutes ago, legend said:

Rights are just as real by that logic. You've lost all your footing here.

Hence my first sentence where I reject the entire premise of either being "real" to begin with.  But as I was asked to make a choice, I did so according to my own internal worldview of which is the "more real" of two "unreal" choices.

As such, there was never any "footing" to begin with.

11 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Hence my first sentence where I reject the entire premise of either being "real" to begin with.  But as I was asked to make a choice, I did so according to my own internal worldview of which is the "more real" of two "unreal" choices.

As such, there was never any "footing" to begin with.

It's unfortunate you see no problem with holding arbitrary inconsistent views.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

On the contrary, it's actually quite transcendent and liberating!

Well, it will have impacts on you personally too, but mostly I just meant for all of us :p  The more people that don't care the worse. We all infect each other to our detriment or success.

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Whet the fuck is the point of even arguing anymore? 

There isn't any point of arguing with people who reject logic and don't care if their positions are consistent. I've just been reading it in amazement.