DF Retro: GameCube HDMI - The Best Video Quality Possible From Nintendo's Classic Console

Pikachu

PlayStation 3 was the first mainstream console with a digital AV output... or was it? Nintendo's GameCube featured digital output functionality that was never fully utilised - until the release of HDMI adapters based on the GCVideo project. In this DF Retro special, John talks with MyLifeInGaming's Marc Duddleson about the various solutions available, showcasing the Eon GCHD Mk2.

Here is the video from My Life in Gaming. It is an even bigger deep dive. I think these are great but not for me since I already have the component cables. The big deal for me playing on the Gamecube is the GameBoy Player. While the Gamecube has some great games for itself I can also play Gameboy, Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advance games. If your interested in this GCVideo project check out this deep er dive.

27 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

One of the interesting this I took for reading the article that has been attached to this is that the GC was designed for 3D displays (much like the display on the 3DS). Nintendo dropped the idea as LCDs that would be able to do that were deemed too expensive. 

Was Nintendo going to sell you a special TV to go with the Gamecube?

Because that's actually one of the most Nintendo plans I've ever heard of. :lol:

20 minutes ago, Rodimus said:

Here is the video from My Life in Gaming. It is an even bigger deep dive. I think these are great but not for me since I already have the component cables. The big deal for me playing on the Gamecube is the GameBoy Player. While the Gamecube has some great games for itself I can also play Gameboy, Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advance games. If your interested in this GCVideo project check out this deep er dive.

I think it's become increasingly common for TVs and receivers to not have component inputs, right? That's where I see the value for something like this, letting you continue to hook up a Gamecube (or Wii) without having to drag out an old TV or getting involved with daisy-chaining converters.

48 minutes ago, Jason said:

Was Nintendo going to sell you a special TV to go with the Gamecube?

Because that's actually one of the most Nintendo plans I've ever heard of. :lol:

I guess Iwata had an interview a decade or so back where he talked about it. But that was the plan until they realized it would be too expensive and dropped the idea. It is just interesting to read that Nintendo was working on that idea all the way back to the Gamecube. 

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I think it's become increasingly common for TVs and receivers to not have component inputs, right? That's where I see the value for something like this, letting you continue to hook up a Gamecube (or Wii) without having to drag out an old TV or getting involved with daisy-chaining converters.

You are right many TVs these days are taking out Component. It currently doesn't effect me because I'm running the component through an upscaler (Framemeister). For me like I said I have a current solution so I will wait it out until the setup changes and the technology matures a little longer.

It's kinda cool that all these hacks exist, but it's still kind of amazing to me that people are putting in so much effort for what seems to me to be so little gain. Is this entirely because of the SSBM scene?

I also had no idea that the GC component cables were so rare. I must have mine laying around somewhere.

36 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

It's kinda cool that all these hacks exist, but it's still kind of amazing to me that people are putting in so much effort for what seems to me to be so little gain. Is this entirely because of the SSBM scene?

I also had no idea that the GC component cables were so rare. I must have mine laying around somewhere.

Yeah Nintendo Gamcube component cables are rare. You really should double check to see if you have any. Back in the day the only way to buy them was direct from Nintendo.com

I guess SSBM is one reason the other is the GameBoy Player.

51AEDQQY6QL._SX425_.jpg

It really started when people realized there is a slight difference between a Wii with Component cables vs. a Gamecube with Component cables.

GameCubePage02%20-%20large.jpg

FYI Gamecube component cables are so expensive because they have a propiatary chip that converts the digital out to component. These new plug and play options are the fruits of the Open Source GC Video project. I remember the person years ago solved it and didn't want to make anything and left the source open for others to make it.