IAMA avowed liberal yuppie who went to a gun range for the first time today, AMA

Chris-

It ain't that big a deal.

I guess it's kinda weird to me that some people treat it like it's a big thing, but then, I grew up around guns and have been shooting since I was probably 5 or 6. And while I've no desire to own an AR or anything like it, I don't really get what's so much more intimidating about the sound of one over any other gun.

6 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It ain't that big a deal.

I guess it's kinda weird to me that some people treat it like it's a big thing, but then, I grew up around guns and have been shooting since I was probably 5 or 6. And while I've no desire to own an AR or anything like it, I don't really get what's so much more intimidating about the sound of one over any other gun.

For me it's fear kids (I guess they are old enough now) or like when my older was trying to sneak in the house and we almost took her head off with a katana thinking someone is breaking in.. That would have gone badly with a gun. Plus I used to be treated for depression and still have anxiety so there is that fear. I think once I was comfortable with one because training I wouldn't mind. Idk 

Belt fed weapons are even more fun.  And wear some hearing protection next time if it is too loud. An AR is not very loud compared to other rifles out there. There is almost zero kick to one due to the buffer spring and it is pretty fun to shoot. Go to a range with an AR that has 300 + yard targets and see how you do.

12 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Whenever I’ve used a larger gun at a firing range, I’m alwaus stunned at how accurate I can be as someone who fires a gun once every 18-24 months. And if you throw a red dot or holo on it, forget it. 

Granted im firing at a still target in a controlled setting, I’m not pretending I’m anything that remotely resembles a sharpshooter... but that’s also kinda the point. 

Yeah, he had something...maybe a holo? It was just point dot at target, hit target right where dot was. Really unnerving to me.

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I would highly imagine he was already wearing ear protection at a gun range. That's pretty basic. 

The ranges I’ve been to require you to have hearing protection on. I just assumed that was standard practice.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The ranges I’ve been to require you to have hearing protection on. I just assumed that was standard practice.

I would highly assume so. I've actually never been to a range, I grew up in the country and we just always did shooting on the back roads. Honestly, that's then only time I shoot these days, when I visit my family. Ear protection is essential. 

I don't wear it while hunting, for obvious reasons, but I'm typically only firing one shot at the deer, so it isn't as bad. Plus, my adrenaline is flowing, so I usually don't even notice the noise at that point. :p 

5 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I would highly assume so. I've actually never been to a range, I grew up in the country and we just always did shooting on the back roads. Honestly, that's then only time I shoot these days, when I visit my family.

I wish I knew someone around here with enough land that we could shoot on their land.  As it is we're stuck having to pay for indoor range memberships. :|  Back home in VA I was like you, just shot in the back woods at whichever family member's place.  So much better.