IAMA avowed liberal yuppie who went to a gun range for the first time today, AMA

Chris-

Just now, 2user1cup said:

How big is your 

Heart 

So big that I didn't pick a person-shaped target to shoot (even though my friend did).

I don’t like guns but my Dad does, so we (my three brothers and I) usually take him to the shooting range for Christmas or his birthday. Mostly handguns.

I did go with a police officer friend of mine once and shot his AR15 and I immediately became opposed to private ownership of semi-auto rifles. Any idiot could mow down a crowd of people with something like that.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t like guns but my Dad does, so we (my three brothers and I) usually take him to the shooting range for Christmas or his birthday. Mostly handguns.

I did go with a police officer friend of mine once and shot his AR15 and I immediately became opposed to private ownership of semi-auto rifles. Any idiot could mow down a crowd of people with something like that.

Some guys in the stall next to us were firing a shotgun and some kind of semi-auto rifle, and they were the most intimidating sounds I've ever heard. I had to time when I was shooting, because I was worried that if they fired right before I did, I'd jump and completely miss the target.

14 minutes ago, Slug said:
  • What was your favorite part?
  • What was your least favorite part?
  • Were the range officials clear on safety procedures?
  • Did you have fun?
  • Would you go back / do you see yourself shooting again in the future?

• I got two or three in the 10 ring (including one dead center), so I guess that.
  • The people shooting the long-guns next to us. The sounds really were unsettling.
  • Kind of? I watched an online tutorial and signed a waiver prior to going, and my buddy coached me on everything. Between those two, I felt well versed in what to do.
  • Again, kind of? I'm kind of unsettled by associating 'fun' with things that are designed to kill, but I didn't have a bad time. I would say it was satisfying or fulfilling as opposed to fun, if that makes sense.
  • I wouldn't be opposed to going back, but I don't see myself doing it regularly or seeking it out.

I've never gone but I want to. I'm not super anti-gun but I'm for increasing regulation. I think gun ownership is generally a bad idea unless many safety precautions are taken. I like the idea of a "panic room" setup in a home with a well-locked gun for self-defense but I won't buy one because I've gone through a stint of depression in my life and I'm worried it may have some chance of coming back someday.

14 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Whenever I’ve used a larger gun at a firing range, I’m alwaus stunned at how accurate I can be as someone who fires a gun once every 18-24 months. And if you throw a red dot or holo on it, forget it. 

Granted im firing at a still target in a controlled setting, I’m not pretending I’m anything that remotely resembles a sharpshooter... but that’s also kinda the point.