Ryan Reynolds Aviation Gin commercial

10 minutes ago, Reputator said:

You how when Jim Carry did Man on the Moon and he became Andy Kaufman, and he never returned to normal since?

I think that's what happened to Ryan Reynolds. He never stopped being Deadpool.

Counterpoint: what if he was always Deadpool? :hmm:

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Yeah Ryan Reynolds playing Deadpool is almost no different than Ryan Reynolds in any other role. He’s been playing the same kind of character since 2 Guys a Girl and a Pizza Place. 

For the most part, yes, but he has given some fantastic dramatic performances in underrated films as well, like: Smokin' Aces, Buried, Woman in Gold, Mississippi Grind, The Voices, Adventureland, Chaos Theory, Safe House, Definitely Maybe, and others (Fireflies in the Garden, The Nines, . . . ). I've been a fan of Reynolds for a long time now and don't understand why people keep saying all he does is play himself/Deadpool when in the aforementioned films he's often nothing like himself or Deadpool. 

And since Deadpool he's done the films Criminal, Life, The Hitman's Bodyguard, and Deadpool 2 and only in 2 of those 4 is he playing himself/Deadpool (obviously, one is the Deadpool sequel). So I'm not sure we can even say all he's doing is playing himself/Deadpool since beginning to play Deadpool either. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

For the most part, yes, but he has given some fantastic dramatic performances in underrated films as well, like: Smokin' Aces, Buried, Woman in Gold, Mississippi Grind, The Voices, Adventureland, Chaos Theory, Safe House, Definitely Maybe, and others (Fireflies in the Garden, The Nines, . . . ). I've been a fan of Reynolds for a long time now and don't understand why people keep saying all he does is play himself/Deadpool when in the aforementioned films he's often nothing like himself or Deadpool. 

And since Deadpool he's done the films Criminal, Life, The Hitman's Bodyguard, and Deadpool 2 and only in 2 of those 4 is he playing himself/Deadpool (obviously, one is the Deadpool sequel). So I'm not sure we can even say all he's doing is playing himself/Deadpool since beginning to play Deadpool either. 

You're obviously not counting all the commercials he's been doing, as himself/Deadpool.

2 hours ago, Reputator said:

You're obviously not counting all the commercials he's been doing, as himself/Deadpool.

Well, uh, yeah. I presumed most of the comments about him always playing himself/Deadpool were aimed at his films. :)

1 hour ago, Emblazon said:

Don't forget The Nines. 

Is listed in my previous post. :)

1 hour ago, Moa said:

Green Lantern was the worst movie I've ever seen and I will never forgive Ryan Reynolds.

Green Lantern isn't that bad.

Just speaking in generalities about it. Didn’t mean for the comment to be taken literally. I’d say if you said Ryan Reynolds name, before he ever did Deadpool, the large majority of people would associate him with that kind Jim Carrey lite/deadpool-esque character. Even though he had done other work it’s not what he’s known for. 

Same thing with Jim Carrey. You say his name people think more of The Mask/Ace Ventura and less of dramatic Jim Carrey. 

On 12/16/2018 at 7:56 AM, Mercury33 said:

Just speaking in generalities about it. Didn’t mean for the comment to be taken literally. I’d say if you said Ryan Reynolds name, before he ever did Deadpool, the large majority of people would associate him with that kind Jim Carrey lite/deadpool-esque character. Even though he had done other work it’s not what he’s known for. 

Same thing with Jim Carrey. You say his name people think more of The Mask/Ace Ventura and less of dramatic Jim Carrey. 

While I'd agree that's how people would think of Ryan Reynolds, they'd be wrong is my point to think that way about him. But I agree that's our understanding of him, his brand, in the mainstream.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 12/9/2019 at 12:28 PM, Remarkableriots said:

I just don't understand the problem with the Peloton commercial. 

Depends on what context you assume is happening in the commercial. I assumed someone getting an exercise bike for their spouse would only do it if clearly asked but I can understand why other's life experiences would mean their assumption is a judgy, controlling husband.