Black Widow Trailer and Discussion Thread (Opening 09 July 2021)

This was fun. I'd call it a solid middle of the road Marvel film mostly saved by the cast. I also appreciate every bit of hero landing shit talk.

Spoiler

So does this pretty much confirm that Valentina is definitely not to be trusted here? Had this movie come out before Falcon and Winter Soldier, her scenes would have been a lot more sinister.

I know Yelena is in the Hawkeye series, but now I'm curious to know if she'll play the antagonist for most of it.

21 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

This was fun. I'd call it a solid middle of the road Marvel film mostly saved by the cast. I also appreciate every bit of hero landing shit talk.

Hide contents

So does this pretty much confirm that Valentina is definitely not to be trusted here? Had this movie come out before Falcon and Winter Soldier, her scenes would have been a lot more sinister.

I know Yelena is in the Hawkeye series, but now I'm curious to know if she'll play the antagonist for most of it.

Spoiler

I really hope they don't go the route of something that could be solved by a simple conversation being dragged into a vendetta role for a season of a show. 

I overall liked the movie. I was expecting FAWS level of enjoyment and that's what I got. With the action amped up, of course. I totally agree the casting made this movie. Florence Pugh is fantastic and I can't wait to see more of her. I think I would have liked this movie a lot more if it had released in 2016 after CW but it is what it is. Just glad the movie got made, it was a fun send off for Scarlet. The humor in the movie was great, very Marvel.

This is not gonna be a "watch multiple times" like other MCU movies for me because too many questions can be asked that you should turn your brain off for but the biggest thing was...

Spoiler

I was really convinced we'd learn the widows had a small amount of super soldier serum injected into them unknowingly because the number of stunts and accidents Natasha and Yelena just walked away from was almost Fast & Furious level of nutty. That fall BW has in the alley hitting everything on the way down hard then landing on her feet and that final action scene falling in the sky was crazy for a human, insane training or not. 

32 minutes ago, NeoJoe said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I overall liked the movie. I was expecting FAWS level of enjoyment and that's what I got. With the action amped up, of course. I totally agree the casting made this movie. Florence Pugh is fantastic and I can't wait to see more of her. I think I would have liked this movie a lot more if it had released in 2016 after CW but it is what it is. Just glad the movie got made, it was a fun send off for Scarlet. The humor in the movie was great, very Marvel.

This is not gonna be a "watch multiple times" like other MCU movies for me because too many questions can be asked that you should turn your brain off for but the biggest thing was...

Spoiler

Hide contents

I was really convinced we'd learn the widows had a small amount of super soldier serum injected into them unknowingly because the number of stunts and accidents Natasha and Yelena just walked away from was almost Fast & Furious level of nutty. That fall BW has in the alley hitting everything on the way down hard then landing on her feet and that final action scene falling in the sky was crazy for a human, insane training or not. 

Spoiler

honestly when the movie started I swore it said the date was 1955 and I was 1955??! WTF and then I was thinking perhaps they Red Guardian her real father and perhaps she stayed young and could handle some of the punishment because he passed on some of his Russian super solider serum powers

11 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Anything that gets more people to join the Pugh Crew is a win in my book. 

She, apparently, pushed for the hysterectomy clap back and that was one of the best lines in the movie, so she gets my approval.

florence_pugh_yelena_black_widow.jpg
WWW.POLYGON.COM

Cate Shortland explains Yelena’s incredible riff on Red Room trauma

• Haha 1

Black Widow world wide with 60 million on D+ and 215 theatrical. I think that paints a pretty good picture of how premium priced home product can perform when day and date with theatrical. Still a decent number of markets where cinemas are closed or limited capacity, and a decent number of markets where D+ isn’t available so not a full picture of how either would work in a “normal” time.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Black Widow world wide with 60 million on D+ and 215 theatrical. I think that paints a pretty good picture of how premium priced home product can perform when day and date with theatrical. Still a decent number of markets where cinemas are closed or limited capacity, and a decent number of markets where D+ isn’t available so not a full picture of how either would work in a “normal” time.

So it did better on D+ than Ant-Man on its domestic opening? That's pretty good, though also impossible to tell how good. It's been a long time since the last Marvel feature.

I do wish these would continue to hit D+, even with the extra $30. It was nice being able to catch this on Friday, after the kids went to bed, without having to worry about finding a sitter.

Just now, Ghost_MH said:

So it did better on D+ than Ant-Man on its domestic opening? That's pretty good, though also impossible to tell how good. It's been a long time since the last Marvel feature.

I do wish these would continue to hit D+, even with the extra $30. It was nice being able to catch this on Friday, after the kids went to bed, without having to worry about finding a sitter.

The D+ number is WW, but yeah, a little better than the low tier Marvel domestic numbers. 

I think your case is a perfect example of where streaming isn't reeealllllyyyy competing with theatrical. There are many people who would like to see movies during their theatrical runs but can't for logistical reasons, so they either skip the movies or wait until late in their runs to finally catch it. More options for consumers is better than fewer, and excitement for movies is a good thing for theaters. It's like what we know about the effects of new restaurants going in to a place with existing eateries. Adding more restaurants encourages people to go out to eat more frequently, which helps all the businesses.

I paid $30 without blinking, mainly because I can watch it when I get home from work at 2am and I end up spending like $25 when I go to the theater anyway. To me it's a no brainer.

I also have a projector with 5.1 sound, so... There's that, too.

It was a relatively fun movie and a decent enough story for Natasha. I agree with whoever said that the main problem with this movie is that it's 5 years late and should have been released after Civil War so that everyone would have the mindset/context of why she was on the lamb and getting into these kinds of side shenanigans fresh in their heads.

Also kind of Winter Soldiery vibes, although I think Winter Soldier is more memorable, and not just because it came first.

ALSO it's kind of remarkable comparing what a lot of people consider a meh MCU movie today (e.g. this movie) to what was considered a good MCU movie back in the day. This feels kind of by the numbers now, but if this had come out at the end of Phase 1 or the beginning of Phase 2 people would have been fucking raving about it. To the extent it feels meh it's only because they've really fucking refined the formula over the years and it's just lacking the novelty factor now.

On 7/10/2021 at 6:56 PM, NeoJoe said:
  Hide contents

I really hope they don't go the route of something that could be solved by a simple conversation being dragged into a vendetta role for a season of a show. 

Spoiler

Hide contents

Spoiler

For the MCU I feel like "peak training" is an acceptable level of explanation. Natasha should have been unconscious at several points in this movie but I suppose it works that you can keep going via peak training if by some miracle you manage to retain even a shred of consciousness.

I mean honestly…

Spoiler

If we’re at the point where we can accept that Tony Stark can perfect time travel in an afternoon and Doctor Strange can hang with The Ancient One after a couple semesters at Hogwarts, I’m completely fine with elite physical training giving normal humans borderline superhuman abilities / stamina.

I watched the movie again yesterday cause I was bored and the thing at the end:

Spoiler

with the pheramoan blocking, is the dumbest thing I've seen in an action movie in recent memory.

My other opinions are still the same and was right in thinking multiple views do not bode well for this movie. lol\

edit: Oh also, that screen rant video was hilarious and brought up a good point:

Spoiler

There is absolutely no reason why Natasha and Yelena fight when they first see each other again. "Not sure if I can trust you." Maybe talk for a couple of minutes? Also why are they pointing the gun muzzles into each other? Imma a shoot your gun in it's gun hole! lol

16 minutes ago, NeoJoe said:

I watched the movie again yesterday cause I was bored and the thing at the end:

Reveal hidden contents

My other opinions are still the same and was right in thinking multiple views do not bode well for this movie. lol\

edit: Oh also, that screen rant video was hilarious and brought up a good point:

Reveal hidden contents

That fight was...

Spoiler

...supposed to show you that they're both pretty evenly matched. It seems they just didn't really know how to make that known other than having them fight, one on one, even on the sketchiest of pretenses.

The script for this one was pretty weak, saved only by the cast.

2 hours ago, Komusha said:

The cosmic/multi-verse/magic side of the MCU is interesting me much more and making the super spy stuff seem kinda boring in comparison.

That's why Thor and GOTG are the better MCU movies, because they're actually Sci-fi stuff and more interesting than terrestrial matters.

Sure, NATO - blame Disney's "Day & Date" strategy for the steep weekend-to-weekend drop.  Where was this complaint the previous weekend, huh?

It couldn't POSSIBLY be that the character herself and the actress who portrays her are absolute snoozefests and that practically everyone who could possibly be interested in seeing the film did so during opening weekend, could it?

black-widow-2-3.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

The National Association of Theatre Owners noted the financial peril involved in Disney's theatrical and Disney+ release of Black Widow. 

Paging @sblfilms for his take!

While I’m sure there are some people who will opt for watching the flick at home vs in a theater, I still contend that for the majority of viewers that isn’t the actual calculus. I can also imagine for a title like Black Widow that got generally positive but not impressively positive reactions you don’t have the WOM to carry it week over week, so I could see people foregoing both seeing it in theaters and paying $30 on D+ and just waiting until it’s available for free. I would be shocked if the D+ sales did not also drop off significantly after its first week of availability.

The actual thing that will kill theater going is price inflation. It’s just getting to be too dang expensive to go with any regularity, and young people have always been the primary movie going demo and you’re pricing them out. It’s one of the reasons I’ve moved so heavily towards drive ins. Different experience that doesn’t really compete with the hard tops OR streaming, and presents much more value to the average guest.

I actually enjoyed Black Widow - the action was good and the character interplay was fun and funny. It was well shot and well scored. It wasn't anything amazing but I had a good time with it. 

The film does ultimately feel inconsequential and there was way too much action and not enough character drama but for a film I didn't care about at all my wife and I enjoyed it.

I liked it well enough. The acting performances lifted what was elsewise a bland as shit action romp into something heartfelt and occasionally funny. Florence Pugh and David Harbour specifically kind of steal the show.

The more I think about the movie, the less I like it. But it's fine.

At any rate, Disney doesn't publicly release the D+ numbers, do they?

8 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

At any rate, Disney doesn't publicly release the D+ numbers, do they?

This was the first time they have.

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

David Harbour and Florence Pugh are the reason to watch it. And Taskmaster.

Definitely agree with you about Florence, and David to a lesser degree. Not all that thrilled with the reworking of Taskmaster. Not as bad as what they did with Mandarin in Ironman 3 but still....

2 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

Definitely agree with you about Florence, and David to a lesser degree. Not all that thrilled with the reworking of Taskmaster. Not as bad as what they did with Mandarin in Ironman 3 but still....

I definitely didn't like the re-working either, but the Taskmaster always makes action really good and that was done pretty well here.

I quite liked it, it's a friggen Bond movie, complete with an evil lair to blow up at the end.  I kept waiting for a Dethlok reference though for Taskmaster, I thought the front of their armor looked kinda similar to the Agents of SHIELD Dethlok.