Chief justice of California Supreme Court quits GOP

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/chief-justice-california-supreme-court-quits-gop-over-kavanaugh-confirmation-n947911?

Chief Justice of California Tani Cantil-Sakauye has reportedly renounced her Republican Party registration and re-registered as a no-party-preference voter, citing Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh.

“I felt compelled to make a choice now. It better suits what I do and how I approach issues," Cantil-Sakauye told CALmatters, adding that she has become displeased with the GOP's direction nationally and in her home state.

Cantil-Sakauye, 59, was tapped by then-Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, a Republican, in 2011 to be the state’s top judge. She is the first Asian-Filipina American and the second woman to serve as chief justice of California's Supreme Court, according to her official biography.

Cantil-Sakauye has excoriated President Donald Trump for being harmful to the "rule of law" because of his attacks on judges.