Metro Exodus - Information Thread, update: Enhanced Edition announced for PC (free upgrade for current owners)

Pikachu

28 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Damn. One of the better looking games you've ever played? 

Honestly, I've only run the benchmark a handful of times and haven't played it on PC yet. :p 

I have a bunch of hours on Xbone (played on my X1X). From what I can see in the benchmark, the game does look better on PC than it does on X1X, but it's really not a "OMGWTFBBQ" difference, just "more" in the sense of more shadows, more particles, more grass, more leaves on trees, more fur on animals, more particle effects, more (farther) draw distance, etc... and better textures.

I think Cyberpunk, maxed out with ray-tracing, may look better. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

Since you ignored me in the other thread, I'll ask here. How does rdr2 run on your system? I linked you a vid of it running on a 3090. It looks beautiful! I cannot imagine what R* will pump out this gen. 

On topic, Metro Exodus looked incredible on my Xbox one x. This enhanced version must look so fucking good. I beat that a while back. Very atmospheric game.

I only have rdr2 online because its only $5 and it doesn’t have the benchmark but pretty locked 60fps at 4k max besides in St Dennis, turning it down to 1800p locked it 60 there mostly and it’s still sharper than than on X with all the weird pc extras so I left it there. If I had vrr I would just leave it at 4k though it’s not big drops.

It looks amazing ofc, still top 5, but it’s no Cyberpunk.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Honestly, I've only run the benchmark a handful of times and haven't played it on PC yet. :p 

I have a bunch of hours on Xbone (played on my X1X). From what I can see in the benchmark, the game does look better on PC than it does on X1X, but it's really not a "OMGWTFBBQ" difference, just "more" in the sense of more shadows, more particles, more grass, more leaves on trees, more fur on animals, more particle effects, more (farther) draw distance, etc... and better textures.

I think Cyberpunk, maxed out with ray-tracing, may look better. 

That still sounds nice. I'd love to play Cyberpunk maxed with rt but I'll have to wait for the watered down version on either the xsx or ps5. I mean wait for the update/patch for the new consoles. Which if I remember reading somewhere... that may not even happen this year! 

:feelsrona:

• 2 months later...

Good timing.  I just played through both Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light and thought they were absolutely fantastic games.  2033 feels sort of like a dry run, because it's an ambitious AA game with really cool ideas that it doesn't fully explore, and it can feel pretty dated in some respects.  Last Light felt like a more complete and well-designed game, and it still plays very well.

I have Metro Exodus and got some ways through it when it released, but I've been meaning to start it again now that I've played the other two.  I wonder if it's worth waiting for the console update to play it.

Pasting my bench from resetera here, posted in the thread there because nobody seems interested here:

3840x2160 - Extreme quality, tessellation full, physx on, reflections ray tracing (but shows hybrid when I get the results screen?), ray trace ultra, dlss performance, vrs 2x, hair works on.

Average: 67fps
Max: 116fps
Min 44fps

Only actually dropped below my pq65-q9 vrr range of 48fps for one quick drop, and most of it is 60+ so I’m quite happy with this!

With dlss balanced I still get just over 60fps average but the scene when it first goes out of the building by the water it drops below my vrr range for a bit.

Have to find out if I really am getting ray traced or just hybrid reflections though and see how that affects performance if it’s not, but still much more promising than I thought.

i9 10850
32gb ddr4 3600
nvme pcie 3.0
3080 ftw3

Not using any overclocks on anything right now besides the oc ftw3 already has by default.

Im pretty pleased with the performance! Can’t wait to check it out more later, but holy shit, you guys gotta see this.

@Vic

@Spork3245

@legend

@Xbob42

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Even at 1080p on the XSS the game is gonna look incredible with RT and 60fps.

I checked it out at 1080p with reflection rt removed (it’s not on console versions) and can confirm it’s still incredible looking.

DLSS + HDR unfortunately seems to be broken. I mean, only when used together, it creates really bad ghosting, like seeing multiple ghost copies of your gun when you turn. This was was an issue Metro had previously but I thought it got fixed at one point. Really hope they fix that, for now I just turned HDR off and kept it on in Windows and made sure tone mapping was maxed on my tv and it looks close enough and doesn't have the ghosting.

Also, they already announced this I guess but I missed it, your chapter progress should carry over, but not your progress within a chapter.  Kind annoying, but also it didn't seem to carry over my chapters completed either, or maybe this chapter is long so that's why I have no progress, either way, sux.

3 hours ago, stepee said:

DLSS + HDR unfortunately seems to be broken. I mean, only when used together, it creates really bad ghosting, like seeing multiple ghost copies of your gun when you turn. This was was an issue Metro had previously but I thought it got fixed at one point. Really hope they fix that, for now I just turned HDR off and kept it on in Windows and made sure tone mapping was maxed on my tv and it looks close enough and doesn't have the ghosting.

Also, they already announced this I guess but I missed it, your chapter progress should carry over, but not your progress within a chapter.  Kind annoying, but also it didn't seem to carry over my chapters completed either, or maybe this chapter is long so that's why I have no progress, either way, sux.

Ok I guess only local saves work on the epic store version anyway to get your save back up to the last chapter you got to, found it from windows.old folder thankfully so I’m in business now. This is NOT a small improvement, it’s pretty freakin drastic.

It’s just fucking amazing looking. I honestly don’t know how to talk about it right now without hyperbole. If you have the pc for it, give it a try asap. 

What I will say is what impresses me the most I think is the consistency. At least in the bit I played it was the most consistently amazing looking thing i’ve played. I think it’s all just in the lighting improvements mostly, the big wow factor for me. I mean, it’s a lot of things, but I think the lighting is the key to the consistency.

It makes times of day that can normally look plain in a lot of games, a lot of games are like this just with broad day light or when overcast, actually look beautiful. Not many games do that for me. Like you take a Ubisoft game and they are pretty much totally time of day dependent on if they look good or not. It all breaks apart during certain time cycles. 

Just little empty corners in mostly empty wooden rooms can actually look fantastic here because of how the lighting hits, it’s really great stuff. 

Fired this up for a bit and was running perfectly.  Also very neat with my keyboard it was changing the colors to highlight keys to press to learn and the general colors depending on the situation you are in like outline will flash red like the screen if you are low health

10 hours ago, stepee said:

Ok I guess only local saves work on the epic store version anyway to get your save back up to the last chapter you got to, found it from windows.old folder thankfully so I’m in business now. This is NOT a small improvement, it’s pretty freakin drastic.

It’s just fucking amazing looking. I honestly don’t know how to talk about it right now without hyperbole. If you have the pc for it, give it a try asap. 

What I will say is what impresses me the most I think is the consistency. At least in the bit I played it was the most consistently amazing looking thing i’ve played. I think it’s all just in the lighting improvements mostly, the big wow factor for me. I mean, it’s a lot of things, but I think the lighting is the key to the consistency.

It makes times of day that can normally look plain in a lot of games, a lot of games are like this just with broad day light or when overcast, actually look beautiful. Not many games do that for me. Like you take a Ubisoft game and they are pretty much totally time of day dependent on if they look good or not. It all breaks apart during certain time cycles. 

Just little empty corners in mostly empty wooden rooms can actually look fantastic here because of how the lighting hits, it’s really great stuff. 

That's awesome. Glad you have another game to take advantage of your setup. I'd love to see it in person. 

• 3 weeks later...

So this supports the ps5 controller natively now including the advanced haptics! Only works wired at the moment, but it’s pretty rad. I hope they get wireless working soon and other games do this, I’d just get another one and make it my pc game pad now.

25 minutes ago, stepee said:

So this supports the ps5 controller natively now including the advanced haptics! Only works wired at the moment, but it’s pretty rad. I hope they get wireless working soon and other games do this, I’d just get another one and make it my pc game pad now.

You have a laptop and not a desktop, correct? How big is your screen and do you sit down on a chair to play? I'm just curious in your awesome setup.

10 minutes ago, best3444 said:

You have a laptop and not a desktop, correct? How big is your screen and do you sit down on a chair to play? I'm just curious in your awesome setup.

Oh no, it’s a desktop. You pay way more for less power still with laptops, though a 3070 series laptop would still surpass current gen.

I do pc as I always have, connected direct to the pc with a game pad while sitting on my couch. I just use it like you would a console except I have a wireless keyboard/mouse combo I use to open games instead of the game pad.

There isn’t really anything special about my setup, I just happened to get a new tv right after I built my pc so I got to then take advantage of the 120fps/vrr stuff, but your tv already has all that ish. All your are missing is the box!

6 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I think I'm finally gonna go for this next time it's on sale. I just suck at being stealthy in this series, so I never get the good endings.

I need to start the books. I've had the first one on my shelf for a couple years or so. 

If you don’t have issues with the epic store it’s on sale for $16 right now!

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

No EGS for me. 

It goes on sale on Steam frequently. Besides, I've got to finish Resident Evil, get back to Control, and buy the AC Valhalla expansion. 

Lol yeah, I have too much to play to actually get too into this yet also. Need to bear RE8 this weekend so I can concentrate mostly on Last of Us 2, then back to Judgement and some Returnal, and I need to actually play Cyberpunk, then Rachet is coming.

Worth it just to look at when it goes on a steam sale though even if you aren’t ready for it yet. I do think I’ll play it some time this summer, game itself does seem good and man it’s just astonishing to look at.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Lol yeah, I have too much to play to actually get too into this yet also. Need to bear RE8 this weekend so I can concentrate mostly on Last of Us 2, then back to Judgement and some Returnal, and I need to actually play Cyberpunk, then Rachet is coming.

Worth it just to look at when it goes on a steam sale though even if you aren’t ready for it yet. I do think I’ll play it some time this summer, game itself does seem good and man it’s just astonishing to look at.

Yeah, I can see myself playing it this summer. I've been trying to go for some shorter games lately, since finishing Valhalla. I'll definitely grab it on the next Steam sale. 

I've been playing more games lately, but reading also takes up a ton of my free time. 

34 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yeah, I can see myself playing it this summer. I've been trying to go for some shorter games lately, since finishing Valhalla. I'll definitely grab it on the next Steam sale. 

I've been playing more games lately, but reading also takes up a ton of my free time. 

Hey that’s good you are enjoying games again, I know you were kinda not feeling it for awhile.

4 hours ago, stepee said:

Oh no, it’s a desktop. You pay way more for less power still with laptops, though a 3070 series laptop would still surpass current gen.

I do pc as I always have, connected direct to the pc with a game pad while sitting on my couch. I just use it like you would a console except I have a wireless keyboard/mouse combo I use to open games instead of the game pad.

There isn’t really anything special about my setup, I just happened to get a new tv right after I built my pc so I got to then take advantage of the 120fps/vrr stuff, but your tv already has all that ish. All your are missing is the box!

That's how I used to game with my desktop and nice TV back in the day.

With that setup and a 3090, I would only own the PS5 for exclusives like you're currently doing. God that's gaming heaven right there. I'm going back to that at some point.