Detroit Become Human reaches 2 million copies sold

Pikachu

8 minutes ago, SmugPrick said:

Again - was the game worth buying?

Depends, have you played any of Quantic Dream's previous titles like Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls? If you liked both of those, then I would definitely pick it up.

If you haven't played their previous titles, do you enjoy games that are focused more on narrative and being a experience more so then gameplay, then this is worth picking up.

I just finished it a few days ago - at $20 I think it's definitely worth it.  I have played the previous "games" as well and enjoyed them too.  The only gameplay in these games are QTE but I think it's handled well enough.

The main focus of these games is the choices you make that affect the story - can't remember if previous games had this but in Detroit there is a decision map that is shown at the end of each chapter to see the branching of your decisions. You can replay the game and purposely make other choices to see what the outcomes are. I personally never replay, though.

With that said, if you haven't watched Humans (TV show), then might be better off just watching that. 

1 hour ago, AndyD said:

I just finished it a few days ago - at $20 I think it's definitely worth it.  I have played the previous "games" as well and enjoyed them too.  The only gameplay in these games are QTE but I think it's handled well enough.

The main focus of these games is the choices you make that affect the story - can't remember if previous games had this but in Detroit there is a decision map that is shown at the end of each chapter to see the branching of your decisions. You can replay the game and purposely make other choices to see what the outcomes are. I personally never replay, though.

With that said, if you haven't watched Humans (TV show), then might be better off just watching that. 

That's around how much I bought it on Black Friday. I played the hostage demo and really liked the tension.

Just now, mikechorney said:

How do you define a "bomb"?  Titanfall 2 sold in the range of 3 million, and is widely considered to have bombed.

Doesn't make up its budget. That's what a bomb is. Titanfall 2 was not a bomb and sold 4 million. It sold under expectations, however, so sales were disappointing.

"The game was successful, it sold well, but it didn't quite sell as well as it should have," Zampella admitted. "Maybe because it was super-crowded, the pricing was aggressive--it was a rough window to launch our game."

A bomb would be RDR2 and its budget selling 4 million in its lifetime. 

Detroit did well and was made by a smaller team. It is a successful game.

40 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Doesn't make up its budget. That's what a bomb is. Titanfall 2 was not a bomb and sold 4 million. It sold under expectations, however, so sales were disappointing.

A bomb would be RDR2 and its budget selling 4 million in its lifetime. 

Detroit did well and was made by a smaller team. It is a successful game.

None of us will ever know the Budget of a game -- so we can never know if they made it back.

26 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Detroit: Become Human carries a $37 million budget

To clarify, it's a successful game, but that doesn't mean it rocked the charts. Only so many games do that. It has done a good job in sales regardless.

From that same article, "That is, of course, if the numbers are real."  That same reported $37 million is only for development -- which excludes other significant costs.

Just now, mikechorney said:

From that same article, "That is, of course, if the numbers are real."  That same reported $37 million is only for development -- which excludes other significant costs.

Not really. The other costs are advertising. For this game, that would likely be a total of $50 million. Also, the actual interview for the French newspaper which the link is quoting never doubted the numbers. He's saying that only because it's harder to get game numbers.

Furthermore, I can't find a sales analyst who would call this "poor." One such analyst:

This also scorches through Heavy Rain and Beyond, which took considerably longer to reach this milestone, while Detroit did it in five months.

It did well. 

26 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Not really. The other costs are advertising. For this game, that would likely be a total of $50 million. Also, the actual interview for the French newspaper which the link is quoting never doubted the numbers. He's saying that only because it's harder to get game numbers.

Furthermore, I can't find a sales analyst who would call this "poor." One such analyst:

This also scorches through Heavy Rain and Beyond, which took considerably longer to reach this milestone, while Detroit did it in five months.

It did well. 

Retailer margins, rebates, distribution costs, advertising, promotion (i.e. trade shows), publisher costs, interest costs, localization, etc.

What is a "sales analyst"?  Mat Piscatella/NPD  have access to data, which they sell to the industry.

I can say that Detroit sold poorly relative to other big AAA titles (i.e. Monster Hunter, Far Cry 5, GoW, Spider-Man, CoD, RDR2, AC, etc.).  Although it probably outsold SotTR (which I had heard was a bomb).

19 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

Retailer margins, rebates, distribution costs, advertising, promotion (i.e. trade shows), publisher costs, interest costs, localization, etc.

What is a "sales analyst"?  Mat Piscatella/NPD  have access to data, which they sell to the industry.

I can say that Detroit sold poorly relative to other big AAA titles (i.e. Monster Hunter, Far Cry 5, GoW, Spider-Man, CoD, RDR2, AC, etc.).  Although it probably outsold SotTR (which I had heard was a bomb).

SotTR also cost $100 million to make (not including marketing), compared to Detroit's $35, and I'm pretty sure the team which made Detroit is smaller as well.

A sales analyst is one who analyzes sales and knows more than you or I do. That's what Mat does as well. Both, btw, post on Reset and have the same opinion of the game. Benji has said that it has done fine, and the only knock against it would be that it's not blowing up the charts like GOW did. Detroit doesn't need to make the money RDR2 does. Mat also commented on the fantastic growth compared to previous QD games.

12 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

SotTR also cost $100 million to make (not including marketing), compared to Detroit's $35, and I'm pretty sure the team which made Detroit is smaller as well.

A sales analyst is one who analyzes sales and knows more than you or I do. That's what Mat does as well. Both, btw, post on Reset and have the same opinion of the game. Benji has said that it has done fine, and the only knock against it would be that it's not blowing up the charts like GOW did. Detroit doesn't need to make the money RDR2 does. Mat also commented on the fantastic growth compared to previous QD games.

Mat's comments were factual and non-judgmental.  Not once does he use the term "successful", "unsuccessful", "bomb" or offer a subjective opinion.  "Fantastic Growth" is your word, not Mat's.

3 minutes ago, Pikachu said:

I'll put it another way. Would Playsation bother putting out a tweet and congratulating Quantic Dream if Detroit was a bomb or considered unsuccessful?

Have you ever worked with marketing or communications in a big company?

5 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

Mat's comments were factual and non-judgmental.  Not once does he use the term "successful", "unsuccessful", "bomb" or offer a subjective opinion.  "Fantastic Growth" is your word, not Mat's.

And notice how the factual information runs contrary to your opinion that it's selling poorly. Put another way:

Beyond cost slightly less than Detroit and sold significantly less. What you're arguing, based on no information since you haven't actually done anything except try to pick at all the information offered to you, is that Sony, after Beyond sold far less (which would be a bomb according to you), greenlit another AAA game from them anyway. 

Doubt it. 

Sony also gives QD money and time to use their work in advertising the PS systems graphics capabilities because their games look amazing in clips and screenshots. They are ok with just “good” sales with them and I’m sure will be happy to throw money at them again and will be showing off some tech demo from QD in the ps5 reveal.

Anyone who thinks Sony isn't ready and willing to drop a PS4 game developer should go say hello to developer Ready at Dawn and The Order: 1886. Sony is not treating Quantic Dream like Ready at Dawn. Instead, they are praising them in tweets.

Ergo: I think Sony is happy with Detroit's numbers. Certainly not unhappy with them at least.