Hard water

SuperSpreader

I use a filtration system as I have both hard water and sulfur water, yipee! :sun: I have a chlorine & salt softener and filtration system. And with all of that, I still only use that water for showering, cooking, and cleaning. I have 75 gallons of water delivered each month for drinking (family of 4 plus guests). 

7 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

Have any of you had to deal with this shit? I'm thinking of getting a whole home filtration system installed, any recommendations?

Since I have no experience with water softeners, my recommendation for dealing with hard water is....

be grateful for what you have! :p I hate soft water. Using soap, shampoo, etc. and not feeling like you can ever wash it off is the worst. :p 

2 hours ago, Nokra said:

Since I have no experience with water softeners, my recommendation for dealing with hard water is....

be grateful for what you have! :p I hate soft water. Using soap, shampoo, etc. and not feeling like you can ever wash it off is the worst. :p 

Yup, we had soft water where we lived before and it was terrible.

On 12/7/2018 at 10:58 AM, Nokra said:

On 12/7/2018 at 11:21 AM, BlueAngel said:

I agree, l would gladly take hard water over soft water.

On 12/7/2018 at 1:21 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yup, we had soft water where we lived before and it was terrible.

The worst problem I have with my hard water is that it's undrinkable and dries my skin out like crazy when I bath.

I am curious what you guys mean by soft water making it so you can't wash off. Does the "softness" make it bead off of shampoo and soap instead of rinsing it off or something?

9 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

The worst problem I have with my hard water is that it's undrinkable and dries my skin out like crazy when I bath.

I am curious what you guys mean by soft water making it so you can't wash off. Does the "softness" make it bead off of shampoo and soap instead of rinsing it off or something?

The hard water at my parents' house is some of the best water I've ever had the pleasure of drinking, but it might be because it's what I grew up with. :p 

As for the softness... Yeah that's pretty much it. You know the difference in friction between when you first get your hands wet and when you then put soap on them? That feeling of slipperiness doesn't really go away with soft water, or at least not as easily. 

Yeah, I don't really know enough of the science behind it, but soft water always makes me feel like I can't get the soap and shampoo off. I have naturally oily hair, so that's a terrible feeling. My skin doesn't get too dry, but I have lotion, anyway.

As far as drinking, I don't drink straight from the tap and the water where I live is okay.

My wife and I love our tap water and drink from it. My guess is the hard water we get is on the low end of the hard water scale. When water is too hard, I find it to have a metallic taste. 

If you want to see what soft water feels like you can try to boil water and let it cool. It won’t remove all the minerals but you should be able to taste/feel the difference.  

You absolutely can tell.  The house I grew up in had a water softener because of hard well water, and you could always tell when you needed to refill it with salt because you'd be taking a shower and it's like someone cast a spell on all the soap and it didn't do shit.  You'd be trying to lather and you'd just have a wet bar of soap and nothing to show for it.  Trying to shampoo your hair made it feel like you just smeared some crap in your hair, and then it came back out in glops.  Brushing your teeth with it was weird.