Psychonauts 2 (25 August 2021) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

Just rolled credits on this.  What a wonderfully creative game.  Enjoyed it a lot more than the original.  The level design was probably some of the most creative I've played.  Really really well done.  I know Double Fine has said they would prefer to do smaller games and do new things, but I'd have to expect a future Psychonauts coming from them eventually.

12 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

Just rolled credits on this.  What a wonderfully creative game.  Enjoyed it a lot more than the original.  The level design was probably some of the most creative I've played.  Really really well done.  I know Double Fine has said they would prefer to do smaller games and do new things, but I'd have to expect a future Psychonauts coming from them eventually.

Cool. I look forward to playing this!

• 1 month later...

Anybody recently play/beat this? After I finish TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima Iki island, I'm moving onto this next.

I just re-watched easy allies review and they were blown away. They gave it a 9.5 so I'm pretty excited for this. However, I never played part 1 so I hope that doesn't effect my time with part 2 story wise.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Psyconauts 1 is a good enough game, so as someone who hasn’t played 2 yet, maybe start with the first?  It’s not quite as good as most 3D Marios or the first Banjo Kazooie, but it’s really close.  A bit wonky in the controls dept.

I don’t know if 2 would ruin 1 for you.

I may just watch a recap of part 1 instead of playing it. Thanks for the response.

Just now, best3444 said:

How is that going to explain the story from part 1 though? Please forgive my ignorance here.

It won’t.  

With Psyconauts, I wouldn’t be as concerned about missing the overarching story.  It’s more about how crazy each level is and the scenarios you find in them.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

It won’t.  

With Psyconauts, I wouldn’t be as concerned about missing the overarching story.  It’s more about how crazy each level is and the scenarios you find in them.

So I will be able to follow what's going on in part 2 well enough on it's own? I'll look up that level you mentioned, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Started this one up finally now that I cleared out Guardians, very good opening level but ahhhhh so many teeth. But they did a great job of summing up the first game and the vr one and getting you right into the action.

I probably love a good 3D platform more than just about anything else, so I’m excited to see if this is as good as people say.

@best3444 looks like you can run this 1440p/120, might be worth checking out as a fun test of your new toy’s 120hz ability

5 hours ago, stepee said:

Started this one up finally now that I cleared out Guardians, very good opening level but ahhhhh so many teeth. But they did a great job of summing up the first game and the vr one and getting you right into the action.

I probably love a good 3D platform more than just about anything else, so I’m excited to see if this is as good as people say.

@best3444 looks like you can run this 1440p/120, might be worth checking out as a fun test of your new toy’s 120hz ability

Yep. I have this downloaded but wanted to wait for the XSX. Now I have to re-download it again but its going be awesome at those specs. Plus I hear the game is incredible. 

46 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yep. I have this downloaded but wanted to wait for the XSX. Now I have to re-download it again but its going be awesome at those specs. Plus I hear the game is incredible. 

If you installed it on an external drive I believe that you can plug it in and it will just upgrade it to the correct version on the XSX.

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

If you installed it on an external drive I believe that you can plug it in and it will just upgrade it to the correct version on the XSX.

I don't own an external drive but that sounds convenient. It's going to be a lot of downloading and waiting Wednesday evening. I'll probably won't even get to try my xsx out at all until maybe Friday. I'll be playing ghost of Tsushima while setting up my xsx.

• Sad 1

Definitely worth it to inject hdr into this using Special K. I have no idea why but this does not support hdr on pc natively not even with auto hdr. Just the old fake hdr in windowed mode thing. You can use global injection so it still works on the gamepass version, just add the .exe name to the whitelist. Then enable hdr in the special k control panel and open the widget and set to the 1000nit profile. Much better!

On 11/23/2021 at 6:00 AM, best3444 said:

I don't own an external drive but that sounds convenient. It's going to be a lot of downloading and waiting Wednesday evening. I'll probably won't even get to try my xsx out at all until maybe Friday. I'll be playing ghost of Tsushima while setting up my xsx.

The XSX doesn't take very long to set up. Updates are quick and easy. I did a factory reset a couple of months back too, and it was fine.

Downloading games is definitely the longest part of the process, and that depends on your internet. 

Either way, I hope you get great joy out of your new box.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

The XSX doesn't take very long to set up. Updates are quick and easy. I did a factory reset a couple of months back too, and it was fine.

Downloading games is definitely the longest part of the process, and that depends on your internet. 

Either way, I hope you get great joy out of your new box.

Thank you. I have off all day tomorrow to set it up so I should be good to go. 

• 2 weeks later...

Beat this one now, amazing game/10. Probably tied for goty for me so far of what I’ve played with Guardians and Rachet. It’s probably the best game out of the 3, I’m just not sure if it’s the most fun. That isn’t to say it isn’t VERY fun but I had a blast with those other two as well. I wish most games had 1/10th the artistic (visually) brilliance that this game continually delivered from the first moment to the last. Just one of the coolest things you can possibly look at period.

• Shocked 1
  • True 1

Also wow I guess I didn’t pay much attention I thought this was a much more low budget kind of AA almost release still but it really is a AAA production and a fantastic sign for MS at the start of the gen. They must have reallt came through on budget once they bought DF.

17 hours ago, stepee said:

Also wow I guess I didn’t pay much attention I thought this was a much more low budget kind of AA almost release still but it really is a AAA production and a fantastic sign for MS at the start of the gen. They must have reallt came through on budget once they bought DF.

Awesome news. I'm going to beat Halo Infinite, Guardians of the Galaxy, then play this. I can't wait.

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 8/7/2022 at 5:28 PM, BloodyHell said:

The best game of 2021. I can't believe @best3444hasn't played this yet. So much wasted time playing games that aren't this, and I can't imagine why 

I finally will beat this. I started this evening and it will compliment Zelda nicely for me. It’s extremely unique and really beautiful to look at. 

• Halal 1