Psychonauts 2 (25 August 2021) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

The game is really hard to put down. Everything is improved upon in the sequel from animations, controls, and pacing. I would actually love if the first game got remastered in this engine. DF hit this one out of the park. 

@stepee on discord, someone confirmed this game runs well on the deck. 

9 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

The game is really hard to put down. Everything is improved upon in the sequel from animations, controls, and pacing. I would actually love if the first game got remastered in this engine. DF hit this one out of the park. 

@stepee on discord, someone confirmed this game runs well on the deck. 

That would be @LaXDragon :p

On 8/25/2021 at 8:19 AM, DPCyric said:

So it seems Microsoft had finally got the platformer mascot they searched for their first couple generations. I am certain we will see Psycohonauts 3 at some point so they have it exclusively :D

The problem is that ol' Tim has never been good about putting games out in a timely fashion, so its hard to make him a mascot when it might be a decade before we see the next game.

But wow. I'm so f'in impressed.

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

The problem is that ol' Tim has never been good about putting games out in a timely fashion, so its hard to make him a mascot when it might be a decade before we see the next game.

But wow. I'm so f'in impressed.

TBH Tim puts a lot of thought into this games. Psychonauts 1 story and character development was top notch. I can imagine how refined this one is with as much time it took to make a sequel. Plan to sit down with it this weekend as I know once I start playing I won't be able to stop.

49 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I posted it for the pic with him and his daughter not the other stuff. That's just how the tweets embed when they are part of a parent post.

Also, he said it's a fun game. So why even rag on him?

I mean, the picture is adorable, thats fine. I don't know how I was ragging on him. I go to Grubb for industry news, not his opinion on games. That's not ragging on him, and im not sure how it could be construed as such. 

Ratchet is both a great game, and pretty underwhelming compared to what a lot of people expected. 

Psychonauts is absolutely incredible, all around. Definitely the best game this year. Hell, I was thinking about it on my morning run. Couldn't wait to get home and play.

• Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, the picture is adorable, thats fine. I don't know how I was ragging on him. I go to Grubb for industry news, not his opinion on games. That's not ragging on him, and im not sure how it could be construed as such.

I go to IGN for opinions on video games not you. Don't worry I'm not ragging on you.

8 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Ratchet is both a great game, and pretty underwhelming compared to what a lot of people expected. 

What did people expect from it that made it underwhelming?

Haven't played it (no PS5), but listening to the Easy Allies guys, it sounds like it's basically more of what Ratchet is known to be with portal stuff added.  And a female character that doesn't play any different.

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

What did people expect from it that it didn't deliver on?

Haven't played it (no PS5), but listening to the Easy Allies guys, it sounds like it's basically more of what you know to be Ratchet with the portal stuff added.  And a female character that doesn't play any different.

I think most people expected more, considering how much they talked up how important the ps5 was to the experience.

I mean, like I said, it's a great game, but nothing about it was special, it was more ratchet. Fun to play once, and probably never picked up again for most people. I just think it was hyped in a way that made a lot of people expect a GotY experience.

24 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I think most people expected more, considering how much they talked up how important the ps5 was to the experience.

I mean, like I said, it's a great game, but nothing about it was special, it was more ratchet. Fun to play once, and probably never picked up again for most people. I just think it was hyped in a way that made a lot of people expect a GotY experience.

Never saw anyone hyping it up as a GoTY contender.  More as a next-gen hardware showpiece for the SSD and Raytracing.  And as a new Ratchet game that could hopefully make up for the PS4 remake not meeting fan expectations.

Didn't it?  Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but I'm not seeing backlash like in 2016.

21 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Never saw anyone hyping it up as a GoTY contender.  More as a next-gen hardware showpiece for the SSD and Raytracing.  And as a new Ratchet game that could hopefully make up for the PS4 remake not meeting fan expectations.

Didn't it?  Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but I'm not seeing backlash like in 2016.

I mean, it definitely had massive hype. Maybe not here, but Era and the youtube gaming channels really, really hyped Ratchet as an amazing leap into the next generation.that hype died real fast on release.

Like I said, not trashing the game, it was a fun 10 hours. But had I known it would just be more ratchet with a fast load portal gimmick, I probably would have waited for a sale.

Psychnauts 2 though, honestly I wasn't sure. I love the original so much, and seemed to be in development hell, I didn't expect much. Instead I got one of the best platformers I've played in a very long time so far.

21 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, it definitely had massive hype. Maybe not here, but Era and the youtube gaming channels really, really hyped Ratchet as an amazing leap into the next generation.that hype died real fast on release.

Like I said, not trashing the game, it was a fun 10 hours. But had I known it would just be more ratchet with a fast load portal gimmick, I probably would have waited for a sale.

Did it?  Era did a poll 2 months ago on their favorite games of the first half of the year.  Ratchet Rift Apart came in 2nd, behind Returnal and ahead of Village.

Not trying to talk down your opinion on the game either.  Only pointing out that you might be projecting it too much onto a broader consensus.  Which again, seems to have stayed quite positive on the game, unlike the last time.

Psychnauts 2 though, honestly I wasn't sure. I love the original so much, and seemed to be in development hell, I didn't expect much. Instead I got one of the best platformers I've played in a very long time so far.

Once MS scooped up Double Fine and gave them extra time, I knew this would be great. :)

28 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

If you spend time on Twitter and follow the gaming personalities, you see all the fanboys along with it.  If you see those types of accounts, then ya, the hype and talk of Ratchet being GoTY, next gen must buy, possible generational type game, it was all there.  But that will come from the fanboys all the time with 1st party releases for all consoles.

I plan to finish up The Ascent then jump into Pyschonauts 2.  Great to hear all the impressions here.  I've seen a lot of GoTY talk about this game on Twitter, and didn't really buy into it. 

Hearing how much better it feels than the original was expected, but nice to hear regardless as I didn't love the 1st one playing it recently.

R&C:RA is a top 3 R&C game but the hype around the SSD and the impact it will have on gameplay was over hyped. I barely used the rifts in game. SSD did  allow for some cool set pieces though.  It is a great game and will probably be the favorite game I played on the PS5 this year. 

What is crazy about Psychonauts is the gap between the first and second game is massive but you can’t tell. The game picks up from one so smoothly and carries on the charm, setting, and characters really well. It is really impressive. It is the first time in a while where I am taking my time to collect everything and soak up the world. 

I am happy that we are getting more 3D platformers and all of them are different and unique. It brings back memories of the PS2 era feeling when you had R&C, J&D, and Sly.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Bloddyhell got me excited for this game! Definitely playing this after Ghost of Tsushima. This a a surprise to me and this game was not on my radar at all. Gamepass, too

:feelsgood:

Did you play the first?

Just know what you're getting. This is a cutesy platformer with deep mental health based themes, and incredible little puzzles. 

17 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

If you spend time on Twitter and follow the gaming personalities, you see all the fanboys along with it.  If you see those types of accounts, then ya, the hype and talk of Ratchet being GoTY, next gen must buy, possible generational type game, it was all there.  But that will come from the fanboys all the time with 1st party releases for all consoles.

I plan to finish up The Ascent then jump into Pyschonauts 2.  Great to hear all the impressions here.  I've seen a lot of GoTY talk about this game on Twitter, and didn't really buy into it. 

Hearing how much better it feels than the original was expected, but nice to hear regardless as I didn't love the 1st one playing it recently.

I mean, the original is 16 years old. I can definitely see why playing it recently wouldn't feel good.

It's  why I rarely go back to old 3d platformers. It ruins the experience of what they were at launch, considering how tight gameplay and controls have become.

9 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I am happy that we are getting more 3D platformers and all of them are different and unique. It brings back memories of the PS2 era feeling when you had R&C, J&D, and Sly.

There's also a 3D platformer indie showcase coming at the end of this month. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
gm-803da689-e0e8-4751-b6d1-3ce8bd69dd9f-
WWW.ALTCHAR.COM

Jon Burton, the founder of Traveller’s Tales states that Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart's impressive rifts could have been easily made on PlayStation 3.

:dab:

"He says that these "amazing sequences of Ratchet zipping between many other worlds all chained together into awesome action sequences” are "mostly just cutscenes or very short sections of very limited gameplay."

Rapidly loading unique environments in and out would have been a challenge on PS3/360 due to those consoles RAM limitations.  Developers can do fancy tricks to mask loading times, sure.  But something like Rift Apart on those consoles... I call BS.

Maybe on a PC at the time with a SSD and beefier RAM budget.  Or resorting to FMV.

Did you play the first?

Just know what you're getting. This is a cutesy platformer with deep mental health based themes, and incredible little puzzles. 

No, never played the first. I have nothing to lose because it's on gamepass. I enjoy platformers so this looks good imo.

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

No, never played the first. I have nothing to lose because it's on gamepass. I enjoy platformers so this looks good imo.

K, wasn't sure if you had GP. Just wanted you to know in case you were spending $$.

Its an incredible game, but its both very adult and at the same time, suitable for children.  

2 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

K, wasn't sure if you had GP. Just wanted you to know in case you were spending $$.

Its an incredible game, but its both very adult and at the same time, suitable for children.  

Yea, I watched a few reviews and have an idea what I'm getting involved with. Looks awesome so I look forward to it. 

More impressions guys!

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

"He says that these "amazing sequences of Ratchet zipping between many other worlds all chained together into awesome action sequences” are "mostly just cutscenes or very short sections of very limited gameplay."

Rapidly loading unique environments in and out would have been a challenge on PS3/360 due to those consoles RAM limitations.  Developers can do fancy tricks to mask loading times, sure.  But something like Rift Apart on those consoles... I call BS.

Maybe on a PC at the time with a SSD and beefier RAM budget.  Or resorting to FMV.

He literally created a "better" version of this in a Lego game that he shows in the video. Renders both scenes in full detail with you swapping between them so smoothly. 

I wouldn't try to call BS on this guy without bringing a lot of evidence, his entire channel is about the crazy shit he's been able to pull off with clever programming. 

Hell, Psychonauts 2 has some insane transitions too, although obviously it's not the same. Ratchet, at least from how far I've gotten (not terribly far) really hasn't done too many cool transitions to different areas outside of on-rails sections. Maybe it gets crazier later on. 

And yeah, either play Psychonauts 1 first or watch a decent summary video. You won't want to play it second, old Double Fine was not great at refined gameplay.  Do the same with Rhombus of Ruin. Psychonauts 2 literally takes place like a day after the first game and a few hours after Rhombus of Ruin. 

• Thanks 1