Psychonauts 2 (25 August 2021) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

2 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

I'm not counting on it! But...Microsoft owns Double Fine!? I didn't know this. But this game is coming to Playstation, right? So like...what?

I'm guessing because of previous contractual obligations / promises since the game has been in development for so long.

Kind of like how Death Loop and Ghostwire Tokyo are still coming to playstation even though Microsoft owns those devs.

19 minutes ago, heydude93 said:

Oddly enough, it might be fair to point out the original Psychonauts wasn't quite as geared towards younger audiences as it first seems. A lot of the humor was fairly cerebral and idiosyncratic, having more in common with prime time animation, 90's nicktoons and adult swim than something you'd expect to see saturday mornings on the disney channel. If you explored every nook and cranny of some mental worlds you'd even stumble across some hella dark secrets of a few characters.  

Which makes it even MORE strange that it's not on a Nintendo platform. The Nintendo nerds LOVE stuff like that. This is the same crowd that freaking *adores* games like Earthbound. Find creepy things in Super Mario games. Heck, a lot of Pokémon is actually quite dark and macabre which flies under the radar a lot. Make no mistake, they would eat up Psychonauts

You also said console exclusives aren't permanent, which is true for a lot of cases, but not this series. Hopefully eventually it'll come out on Switch or something, but....like I said, I'm not counting on it. I'll likely just play this on PS4. But...ugh. So would have preferred to play this in bed or something on Switch. 

Maybe I'll use my Vita and Remote Play. Even though that feature suuuuuuuuucks. 

6 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Which makes it even MORE strange that it's not on a Nintendo platform. The Nintendo nerds LOVE stuff like that. This is the same crowd that freaking *adores* games like Earthbound. Find creepy things in Super Mario games. Heck, a lot of Pokémon is actually quite dark and macabre which flies under the radar a lot. Make no mistake, they would eat up Psychonauts

You also said console exclusives aren't permanent, which is true for a lot of cases, but not this series. Hopefully eventually it'll come out on Switch or something, but....like I said, I'm not counting on it. I'll likely just play this on PS4. But...ugh. So would have preferred to play this in bed or something on Switch. 

Maybe I'll use my Vita and Remote Play. Even though that feature suuuuuuuuucks. 

Good point with Earthbound.  Yeah, this game would probably be a smash hit on a nintendo platform so it's strange that a switch release was never in the cards at first jump. Guess it's because it started development two years before Switch's launch day, who knows.

1 minute ago, heydude93 said:

Good point with Earthbound.  Yeah, this game would probably be a smash hit on a nintendo platform so it's strange it was never initially intended to release on Switch. Guess it's because it started development two years before Switch's launch day, who knows.

Good point. At that time, no one knew what a hit the Switch would be. Especially after the spectacular failure of Wii U. (but 3DS was a hit, soooo....?) 

Oh well. 

• 4 weeks later...
UccFm4Yz6x5jzigictBy6P-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

"We want you to have fun, to laugh, to experience a story that affects you. On whatever terms you want"

"All people should be able to enjoy games. All ages, all possible needs. It's an ongoing and important process for our industry and a challenge we need to meet.

"End of the day? We want you to have fun, to laugh, to experience a story that affects you. On whatever terms you want."

• Like 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Psychonauts 2 (25 August 2021) - Information Thread, update: game features invincibility toggle to ensure "all ages, all possible needs" can complete the game

3857210-psychonauts_2-screenshots-202007
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

We got an early hands-on preview of Psychonauts 2, and it's an ambitious, refined, and mature return to the cult classic.

psychonauts-2-banner.jpg
WWW.WINDOWSCENTRAL.COM

Psychonauts 2 could become Double Fine's magnum opus. This meticulously crafted world impresses from every angle, coalescing in a masterful action-puzzle-platformer that left a lasting impression.

QtVcb3YsCGWhgtVmFdMkdP-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Psychonauts 2 casts you as showrunner for a weird unaired Cartoon Network show from the late '90s

psychonauts-2-screens-4.jpg
WWW.NME.COM

A first look at 'Psychonauts 2', the long-awaited Double Fine sequel releasing in August 2021.

Psychonauts-2-GameAwardsTrailer-1080-004
METRO.CO.UK

GameCentral plays the long-awaited sequel to Psychonauts, the latest game from Double Fine - one of Microsoft’s new first party studios.

psychonauts-2-hands-on-preview-matinee-o
WWW.SHACKNEWS.COM

We got an early taste of what's in store for Double Fine's much-anticipated return to the Psychonauts franchise.

310cec56dc66fb9776fd033aec4ae9cf.jpg
KOTAKU.COM

Double Fine's upcoming sequel to its original 2005 action-platformer is a bigger and better adventure

psychonauts-preview-feature-image-1024x5
WWW.WELL-PLAYED.COM.AU

We joined the Psychonauts' intern program

psychonauts-accessibility-image-1024x576
WWW.WELL-PLAYED.COM.AU

We sat down (virtually) with Double Fine

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Psychonauts 2 (25 August 2021) - Information Thread, update: Official Story Trailer and final hands-on previews

A few more of the final hands-on previews/interviews with the Double Fine team:

WI4CL5CREZARPP63AFBQO3ATEA.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

It keeps the witty charm of the original cult favorite, but with the help of Xbox funding, adds polish, accessibility and a focus on mental health.

Psychonauts2-screenshots-071521-Previews
WWW.VG247.COM

At some point, while wise-cracking with a dodgy snake policeman, jumping on platforms made of floating teeth or boiling a talking egg, it sinks in: Psychonauts 2 is delightfully bonkers.To be fair, this feeling could easily have hit us at any time when playing through the demo for the upcoming platformer developed by Double Fine. […]

EVZaJwpHKnmE2XG8gYGFaf-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

"The world does not want games to happen": Double Fine details the heart, humor, and headaches behind Psychonauts 2

N7yM56jiV8xJRsXBCMcN4N-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

With Psychonauts 2 done and Xbox backing the studio, Double Fine says it can work "without the fear that we had before"

Psychonauts2-Hero5002.jpg
WWW.THESIXTHAXIS.COM

Psychonauts 2 starts with an Inception-like mind heist, brought to life with all the weirdness and quirkiness of a Double Fine production. It picks up right where Psychonauts and Psychonauts: Rhombus

r3y29HQ6eHTRA4uJPwdSx3-1200-80.jpg
WWW.TECHRADAR.COM

Opinion: A lesson in mental health wellbeing

1626293941821-ss1fca58dd7904427261233413
WWW.VICE.COM

The original 'Psychonauts' came out in 2005, before ideas like "self care" and "mental health" became dominant. Double Fine's come a long way, too.

Psychonauts2Preview.jpg
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

Another cult classic in the making.

Psychonauts-2-Interview.jpg
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

We dive into the minds of the team at Double Fine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Psychonauts 2 (25 August 2021) - Information Thread, update: "Gold Status" achieved
10 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Part of me wants to buy it on Steam despite having Game Pass just because I always want to give Double Fine my money. They don't always make incredible games, but they definitely try to be creative and fun.

I mean, you will be giving the money to MS either way gamepass or steam. :P

I just finished playing the original game yesterday.

I didn't necessarily love it, but I do appreciate it for what it does.  The feeling of the gameplay though wasn't as tight as I'd like, but hoping the sequel possibly improves on that aspect.  I also need to remember its a rather old game as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2021 at 11:15 PM, JPDunks4 said:

I just finished playing the original game yesterday.

I didn't necessarily love it, but I do appreciate it for what it does.  The feeling of the gameplay though wasn't as tight as I'd like, but hoping the sequel possibly improves on that aspect.  I also need to remember its a rather old game as well.

I recently finished it as well and I loved it. The platforming was kinda floaty but feel a lot of platforming games during that time on Xbox were never as tight as they could have been. The story though and humor in this game is top notch. The characters, art style and music of this game gave off Tim Burton vibes. The experience was well worth the play through and 2 looks even better.

Game Information

Game Title: Psychonauts 2

Platforms:

• PC (Aug 25, 2021)
  • Xbox One (Aug 25, 2021)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Aug 25, 2021)
  • PlayStation 4 (Aug 25, 2021)

Developer: Double Fine Productions

Publisher: Xbox Game Studios

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 88 average - 97% recommended

Critic Reviews

Explosion Network - 10 / 10

Psychonauts 2 excels where others have failed by crafting a story experience that welcomes players, new and old, into the fantastically absurd world of the Psychonauts. I will not forget my time with Psychonauts 2 easily; the characters and themes have left a lasting impression.

Gamerheadquarters - 10 / 10

Psychonauts 2 is a perfect 3D platformer offering a well balanced challenge that’s engaging and filled with a lengthy narrative that provides many laughs alongside heavier emotional beats.

GamingTrend - 100 / 100

Psychonauts 2 is the perfect sequel. It builds on everything the original game was while adding its own unique spin on gameplay and story. The overworld is a joy to explore and the levels are more stylish and dazzling than ever before with fantastic controls. It's a fantastic experience that will stick with you, and has a ton to see and do.

Guardian - 5 / 5 stars

The warped worlds inside people's minds are yours to explore in a bold and beautiful sequel that never fails to surprise

Pure Xbox - 10 / 10

It's honestly astounding how incredible Psychonauts 2 is. After 16 years, the expectations for the sequel were so high it felt as though they were impossible to meet. We don't know how they did it, but the wizards at Double Fine not only met them but smashed through them with ease. Psychonauts 2 is an extraordinary achievement in both its gameplay and storytelling, balancing heavy themes of mental health with its whimsical world. In lesser hands, it could have been a disaster, but the team has taken every aspect of the original game, built upon it and respected the fanbase in the process. Psychonauts 2 is the best game of 2021 so far and one of the greatest sequels ever made.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 10 / 10

Psychonauts 2 is back to set a new standard for platforming games, with an amazing art style and unique creative ideas that led to a diverse and rich experience that you can't find anywhere else. it is one of the best games of the year if not one of the best experiences of this generation.

SomosXbox - Spanish - 10 / 10

‎Psychonauts 2 is one of the best platforms I've ever enjoyed. It's a game that exudes charisma and personality everywhere and raises the bar to an even higher level than its first half. It has a gameplay and story that hooks from the first minute and that together with a graphic, sound section and a spectacular performance becomes a serious candidate for GOTY.‎

The Escapist - 5 / 5 stars

There is something cathartic, or perhaps simply pleasantly escapist, in the idea that I can resolve the mess in my head with the sweep of a hand. Even if Psychonauts 2 looks like a psychedelic fever dream, after 18 months of being intermittently locked indoors, festering in bad thoughts, accumulating emotional baggage, and losing track of any nuggets of wisdom I might have had, it is also a power fantasy that feels especially relevant.

VG247 - 5 / 5 stars

This was a review I picked up on a whim, looking to try something new, and now I’m walking away with a strong new game of the year contender. Psychonauts 2 is fun, funny, heartfelt, and handles its themes with a deft and gentle hand. Thanks to its great recapping, anyone can play regardless of their history with the series, and I recommend you do!

WellPlayed - 10 / 10

Psychonauts 2 is exactly what I was hoping for in a follow-up. Double Fine has smartly refined its unique brand of platforming adventure while greatly expanding its narrative qualities. Plus, it's an absolute treat for the eyes and ears. This is how you do a sequel.

PowerUp! - 9.7 / 10

Psychonauts 2 is a masterpiece of game design, narrative and subtle, yet powerful storytelling. It is a must-play.

Easy Allies - 9.5 / 10

Psychonauts 2 is an intoxicating mix of creativity and passion that makes for an unforgettable game.

GameGrin - 9.5 / 10

Psychonauts 2 is an absolutely fantastic game, and I can say that with certainty. Double Fine took an amazing concept that was ahead of its time and proved that they could do it again. The very few issues I had with the game were minor and had absolutely zero bearings on my overall enjoyment of the game

God is a Geek - 9.5 / 10

Psychonauts 2 completely surpasses the exceptional original game, and if tight platforming and Double Fine charm are what you're into. you should play it asap.

Lords Of Gaming - 9.5 / 10

Psychonauts 2 is a tremendous journey from start to finish. It takes what was successful from the first game, and improves what wasn’t, and cranks everything up to 11. Psychonauts 2 is the culmination of everything Double Fine has learned from its decorated history and is easily their best title to date. If you’re new to the series, you don’t have to worry. The game does a good job of filling you in on the characters and events from the first Psychonauts.

Marooners' Rock - 9.5 / 10

The game offers players a variety of ways to play Psychonauts 2 and makes it accessible for most gamers.

PC Invasion - 9.5 / 10

A tour-de-force of sumptious visuals and world-class game design come together for a truly impressive feast for the senses. Psychonauts 2 is a must-play title for fans and newcomers alike.

PC Invasion - 9.5 / 10

Both M/KB and controller are fully rebindable, so yay. In order to rebind controller bindings, you’ll need to select custom, though. If they’re on default, you can’t change anything. That’s about it for our Psychonauts 2 tech review. A great version for a great game. Sounds about right.

Paste Magazine - 9.5 / 10

Too many of these games fall into that witless trap of thinking something "serious" and "important" must also be humorless and dark, unrelentingly grim and fatalistic. Psychonauts 2 reveals that for the nonsense that it is, showing that you can more powerfully and realistically depict emotion when you use warmth, humor, humanity-the whole scope of emotions that make us who we are. Psychonauts 2 asks "how does it feel to feel?", and then shows the answer to us-and the games industry at large-in brilliant colors.

Washington Post - 95 / 100

After traversing nearly a dozen brains, I, along with Raz, couldn’t help but feel empathy for people along all walks of life. The moral of the story, delivered rather obviously by Raz’s supervisor Hollis Forsythe, is that institutions are flawed, people are flawed, but we are all just trying our best.

Wccftech - 9.5 / 10

Psychonauts 2 delivers on everything it madly promises. That includes old school platforming with new school precision, an impressive visual style that never falters, and a world begging to be explored.

Atomix - Spanish - 94 / 100

‎All the passion, affection and dedication of Tim Schafer's team is reflected in a practically round video game that is difficult to find defects of consideration. Its impeccable script took you through an exciting story full of themes that are not usually touched within the middle, spectacular art direction and graphics of squearing, a sublime design of levels that exalts game mechanics, and very well polished controls, are just some of the reasons why we believe, Psychonauts 2 has to be yes or yes in the lists of the best games of the year, and without a doubt, as one of the best titles that Microsoft has had the honor of publishing in its already rich history within the medium.‎

The Games Machine - Italian - 9.4 / 10

The very existence of Psychonauts 2 demonstrates that good ideas have to overcome a thousand difficulties before being realized, but in the end they somehow impose themselves. It took years for the first chapter to overcome people's skepticism but, day after day, it has built up a fan base so large that we were finally able to play with a full-fledged, high budget sequel. And it's beautiful. Pleasant, original, colorful, compelling. Do you need more adjectives to be convinced?

COGconnected - 93 / 100

So many videogames treat their human characters as singularly good or evil, or worse, as disposable cannon fodder that exist only to be killed. In addition to its excellent platforming, puzzles, and action, Psychonauts 2 impresses the most because it treats human frailty and failure with warmth, compassion, and humor that is never cruel or demeaning. Inside our heads, we’re all just bundles of doubt, random connections, ill-considered motivations, and weird memories mixed with kindness, aspiration, and delight. I’m grateful to Psychonauts 2 for the reminder.

Generación Xbox - Spanish - 9.2 / 10

Psychonauts 2 is undoubtedly the best title Double Fine has produced in its 20 years of life. A unique, original and, above all, fun adventure.

XboxEra - 9.2 / 10

Psychonauts 2 shines by delivering an absurd amount of creativity to the player. The story is filled with heart. The gameplay is smooth and fun. The character cast and the environments show incredible diversity throughout the entire experience. The next brain you’ll visit will always be more even more creative than the last, and the game does all that while also being absolutely gorgeous to look at. Psychonauts 2 is the best game Double Fine has ever created and the best release by Xbox first-party in many years.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4.5 / 5 stars

Psychonauts 2 was a long time in the making, but the wait has certainly been worth it.

AusGamers - 9 / 10

In setting expectation for the journey ahead, pulling teeth and using them as weapons in a brain wholly fixated on dental fears is about as clear an indication as you need.

Checkpoint Gaming - 9 / 10

Psychonauts 2 is absolutely fizzing with ideas in gameplay, story, and presentation. Its story is emotional, its characters are hilarious, its worlds are huge and imaginative, plus I had a fun time actually playing the dang thing. Apart from some minor issues with the optional dialogue, it’s clear Double Fine went all out developing this title. Nothing feels rushed, nothing feels unfinished, and nothing feels like padding. This is a fabulously well-made game, and a perfect game for lockdown. If you’re looking for some extra joy from your video games, you need to play Psychonauts 2. If you’re a fan of the original, I suspect you’ll like it even more.

DASHGAMER.com - 9 / 10

I’m elated to have experienced such an awe-inspiring tale, one that no doubt has motivated me for the better, and one that I will surely be reflecting upon for a long time. I can without a doubt, unequivocally recommend Psychonauts 2, as an essential title for 2021. Game of the Year worthy.

Game Informer - 9 / 10

Well worth the wait and better than the original, Psychonauts 2 hits its stride early and never loses steam

Game Rant - 4.5 / 5 stars

Psychonauts 2 was worth the 16-year wait, as it's easily Double Fine's best game so far and a strong contender for Game of the Year.

GameByte - 9 / 10

Playing Psychonauts 2 is like taking a step back in time in the best way possible. The fact that the game’s core concept still holds up 16 years later is a testament to how far ahead of its time the first game was. Psychonauts 2 feels like it’s the game Double Fine always wanted to make. It incites a childlike, playful nature that I’ve not experienced in games for ages. At the same time, it deals with some heavy subject topics in ways that feel nuanced. Even if you haven’t touched the original, Psychonauts 2 is absolutely worth playing through.

GameMAG - Russian - 9 / 10

Psychonauts 2 is a true sequel, that evolves a lot of ideas from original game, while still stays true to the style the fans love. If you're looking for something special, then this title is fore you. Whimsical and fun Psychonauts 2 is one of the best games we played this year.

GameSkinny - 9 / 10 stars

Psychonauts 2 is a brilliant, thoughtful sequel and one of the most creative experiences of the last generation.

GameSpot - 9 / 10

Psychonauts 2 does more than just fill the shoes of its beloved quirky predecessor, it sets itself apart as a classic in its own right.

GamesRadar+ - 4.5 / 5 stars

Psychonauts 2 captures the spirit of '90s cartoons and channels it into an imaginative, inventive adventure that never fails to find heart and humor in every one of its consciousness-expanding encounters.

GamingBolt - 9 / 10

Psychonauts 2 is bigger, better, and more ambitious than its predecessor in every way imaginable.

Hardcore Gamer - 4.5 / 5

While Psychonauts 2 is an impressive platformer, it doesn't match the perfection of the original.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 90 / 100

‎A brilliant platformer, both in design and imagination. It has captivated us by the variety in development, the sense of humor and its way of transforming mental processes into elements - and enemies - of the game. The technical (not artistic) section is correct, although it falls short of other "next gen" games.‎

IGN Spain - Spanish - 9 / 10

‎Psychonauts 2 is one of the most personal and special games I've played in a long time. The best work of a company with great works led by a Tim Schafer who invests everything learned in his ten years working at LucasArts and his twenty years at Double Fine to sign his best work as a writer and developer.‎

Kakuchopurei - 90 / 100

Long story short, this is the sequel Psychonaut fans deserve.

LevelUp - Spanish - 9 / 10

‎Psychonauts 2‎‎ exists and it is almost a miracle that we have it in our hands. It seemed that its genre was dead to many and the failure of its first installment made us understand why no money-gowned wanted to touch the franchise even with a stick. That said, the collective effort of the community; the enormous talent and heart of the Double Fine team and the work of Xbox Game Studios made it happen. It's an excellent game that I'll be grateful for proving that 3D platformers can be more than just toys for kids.‎

Merlin'in Kazanı - Turkish - 90 / 100

Psychonauts 2 manages to do justice to the long wait. A great adventure that appeals to players of all ages awaits you.

PCGamesN - 9 / 10

A rare sequel that improves on the original in every meaningful way. It's packed to the brim with beautiful worlds and surprising interactions, and its colourful cast is equal parts funny, believable, and sympathetic. Double Fine is rarely wide of the mark, but this time it hit the bullseye.

Screen Rant - 4.5 / 5 stars

Psychonauts 2 is a must-play for anyone interested in what modern platformers can do and what a compelling comedy adventure looks like in 2021.

Shacknews - 9 / 10

It’s wild to think how many years of development are here in this game, but the end product is undeniably polished and top-to-bottom good gaming.

Sirus Gaming - 9 / 10

Psychonauts 2 deals about being left alone and losing loved ones, amongst many other serious mental conditions. Playing through can be a burden to one’s chest. The game got personal to me. Especially at the latter parts where emotions are flowing through every NPC’s past. I suggest you take a breather as much as you can. And as much as I enjoyed the game, I had to rest after every boss battle and the following closure to most worlds. The first game sold fewer copies than intended when it launched. And with the fun, I had playing through Psychonauts 2, here’s to hoping it gets the attention it deserves.

SomHráč.sk - Czech - 90 / 100

Psychonauts 2 is a pleasant surprise and one of the best games of the year so far. It's full of ideas, details, humor and it takes a long time to beat it. It took 16 years, but the Psychonauts are back and better than ever.

Stevivor - 9 / 10

I couldn’t help but giggle at its stupid jokes and wackiness.

TheGamer - 4.5 / 5 stars

It’s rare that a long-awaited sequel does most things right, but this is one of those times and I’m confident in saying that Psychonauts 2 is Double Fine’s best game to date and an early contender for game of the year.

TheSixthAxis - 9 / 10

A decade and a half on from the original, Psychonauts 2 is a worthy successor to Double Fine's cult classic. The platforming and combat gameplay is tighter, the world design is as varied and inventive as ever, and while the story is full of twists, turns and comedic moment, there's also a wonderful sense of empathy and tenderness throughout. Simply put, Psychonauts 2 has been worth the wait.

TrueAchievements - 9 / 10

Both as a sequel and as a standalone game, Psychonauts 2 is superb.

TrustedReviews - 4.5 / 5 stars

Psychonauts 2 is a fun, endearing puzzle platformer full of quirky challenges and entertaining dialogue. If you’re a fan of the original, or just enjoy platformers, Psychonauts 2 is a great purchase. The only downside is that its graphics and combat mechanics can feel a little outdated.

Twinfinite - 4.5 / 5

Psychonauts 2 is an absolute joy to play. It’s hard to put down not only because it’s a solid game from top to bottom, but also because it’s just so damn charming. I wanted to spend as much time as possible with Raz and his crew of zany characters, and I imagine that just about anyone who decides to pick up Psychonauts 2 will feel the same way.

Twisted Voxel - 9 / 10

Psychonauts 2 will be remembered as one of the best sequels. It's an amazing adventure game with a great presentation and well-designed levels.

Windows Central - 4.5 / 5 stars

Psychonauts 2 is a wonderful, masterfully crafted platformer exploring complex themes while providing tons of fun gameplay. It retains the movie-quality writing, thoughtful character development, and artistic expression of the original Psychonauts while refining the platforming and combat systems.

Worth Playing - 9 / 10

In pretty much every possible way, Psychonauts 2 is a direct sequel to the first game. It's perhaps prettier and more polished than it would have been if it had come out a decade ago, but the feel and tone are spot-on. It probably won't change your mind if the original Psychonauts didn't capture your heart. If it did, though, Psychonauts 2 is a charming, funny and incredibly welcome visit with some old friends. The gameplay is sometimes too straightforward for its own good, but everything else more than makes up for it. If you're looking for a charming platformer with its own style and sense of humor, Psychonauts 2 delivers in spades. Here's hoping it won't be another decade before we see another entry in the series.

Xbox Achievements - 90 / 100

We may have been waiting a decade and a half for a sequel, but Double Fine’s efforts haven’t been in vain - Psychonauts 2 is an energetic, imaginative, and excellent 3D platformer, with brains and heart to spare.

ZTGD - 9 / 10

Psychonauts 2 is a masterclass in design. Some of the levels in the game will stick with me for another 16 years easily. I hate that it took this long for Tim Schafer and his team to get the chance to make this sequel, but it was truly worth the wait. Fans of the original are in for a treat. Anyone with Game Pass should not hesitate to download this game. This is now on my short list of best of the year, and I cannot wait to see what Double Fine does now with an even larger budget.

Cerealkillerz - German - 8.9 / 10

By expanding on the strong parts of its predecessor - like the imaginative worlds and the bonkers humor -, and reworking the fighting system from the ground up, Psychonauts 2 shows everybody how a succesful sequel should be made. This might be the definite Psychonauts experience as well as the 3D platformer of the year.

PC Gamer - 89 / 100

Improved platforming underpins a glorious return to one of gaming's most inventive and empathic universes.

GamePro - German - 88 / 100

Psychonauts 2 is a wacky adventure with a lot of heart, which has only a few small weaknesses.

IGN Italy - Italian - 8.8 / 10

Psychonauts 2 is a return to form for Double Fine Productions and a worthy successor to Razputin's first adventure.

Forever Classic Games - 8.7 / 10

I think Psychonauts 2 does something previously thought impossible, it not only met expectations brought on by years of waiting but somehow unexpectedly surpassed them.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Classic in setting and structure, Psychonauts 2 proudly adheres to the canon of platform adventure of the early 2000s: that line of products that stood out for a certain craftsmanship in the construction of the levels and for a strong attention in the characterization of history and characters. Just like in the first chapter, the elements of originality do not come so much from the gameplay - which is still well studied and effective - as from the exuberance of the story, from the variety of situations, from the amount of unexpected and out-of-the-box sequences.

Game Revolution - 8.5 / 10

While its old-school nature can lead to frustration, I was far too enamored by its characters and their heart-warming empathy for one another to let it dampen my enjoyment of this long-awaited sequel.

MondoXbox - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Psychonauts 2 is a unique platform game, capable of taking its place in the hearts of video game lovers. The original gameplay, design and script are the strengths of a game that succeeds in keeping us glued to the screen until the end credits. A title that isn't perfect, but that shows how creativity and passion can overcome the limitations of an adventure that no fan of the genre should miss.

Rectify Gaming - 8.5 / 10

Psychonauts 2 is not just a worthy sequel to the original, it’s Double Fine’s finest outing yet.

TrueGaming - Arabic - 8.5 / 10

Will players overlook Psychonauts 2 like they did with its predecessor? we certainly hope not, as this is a unique and big adventure, and its obvious that a lot of effort went into creating it. pacing is a bit slow though.

Video Chums - 8.5 / 10

As far as 3D platformers go, you certainly can't get much more consistently varied than Psychonauts 2 with its trippy environments and nifty psychic abilities. Throw in an excellent cast of characters and memorable story and you're left with one heck of an adventure.

Spaziogames - Italian - 8.3 / 10

Psychonauts 2 is easily one of the best games on Xbox Game Pass and a must-play for the subscribers. It's a safe and traditional second entry in the franchise, but nonetheless a new gem in Tim Schafer's crown.

Areajugones - Spanish - 8.2 / 10

‎Psychonauts 2 is a new lesson in empathy from Double Fine for both video games and yourself. If you're predisposed to it, the studio's work can set aside its classic 3D platformer look to connect with you without you realizing it on very personal levels. Or, at least, that's what's happened to me playing it. Psychonauts 2 has arrived as a breath of air right at a time in my life when I needed a breather.‎

New Game Network - 81 / 100

Fantastic trips through colorful minds and a robust narrative help to make Psychonauts 2 an enjoyable adventure and a faithful sequel.

CGMagazine - 8 / 10

It took sixteen years, but Psychonauts 2 is worth the wait.

Destructoid - 8 / 10

A huge impact was left on me by Psychonauts. While that’s not likely to be the same story for Psychonauts 2, I wasn’t disappointed. There was no single place that let me down so severely that it soured the overall experience. Nothing that struck me as starkly inferior. It’s maybe not quite as genius, but it’s still a mind worth exploring.

Digital Trends - 4 / 5 stars

Empathetic storytelling and mind-bending level design make Psychonauts 2 a worthy follow-up to one of gaming's great cult classics.

EGM - 8 / 10

Psychonauts 2 recaptures the humor, heart, and much of the creative magic of the original game, with modern refinements that make it more pleasant to play. While the combat still feels a bit clunky and outdated compared to the rest of the game, fans of the original will no doubt delight in revisiting old friends and making new ones in this charming adventure.

GameSpew - 8 / 10

This is a brilliantly designed game, and it’s clear a huge amount of ingenuity has gone into its creation.

Gameblog - French - 8 / 10

Psychonauts 2 is another great entry in the series, a action-platformer that can look a bit stiff and not very challenging, but has a lot of surface to explore and motivates us to explore every corner thanks to its incredible art direction, stellar characters and story. One of the most refreshing games of 2021.

GamesBeat - 4 / 5 stars

If you enjoyed the original, or just like the idea of a psychic-themed 3D platformer, I’m sure that you’ll like Psychonauts 2 and find plenty of laughs along the way.

IGN - 8 / 10

Even with a few rough edges, Psychonauts 2 is just about everything I could have hoped for from this long-awaited sequel.

Metro GameCentral - 8 / 10

A great sequel that is just as surreal and imaginative as the original and manages to be both a silly comedy platformer and a surprisingly affecting character study of regret and lost love.

PCMag - 4 / 5 stars

Psychonauts is back with a charming, challenging, thoroughly entertaining sequel that will please 3D platformer fans and especially anyone who loved the first game.

Press Start - 8 / 10

Psychonauts 2 brings together classic platforming, an engaging story and well realised combat in a package that feels reminiscent of the best platformers of decades past. Even better, it does this with a visual flair that's unmatched by its contemporaries. It might be more of the same, but given how unique it is, that's hardly a bad thing.

SECTOR.sk - Slovak - 8 / 10

It was worth to wait for this sequel. The game is huge, the gameplay is catchy, only the visuals aren't that good.

Slant Magazine - 4 / 5 stars

Psychonauts 2 in particular is a game of surprising psychological insight, full of rich, flawed characters at the end of their ropes. If so much of this game is a reiteration of what worked about its predecessor, it functions as a reminder for just how much of the medium is still catching up to Psychonauts.

Telegraph - 4 / 5 stars

Prepare to go insane in the brain with one of the year's most imaginative interactive experiences

GuiltyBit - Spanish - 7.5 / 10

Psychonauts 2 is the full definition of a sequel to the original Psychonauts. So much so that it feels very conservative, even though there are palpable improvements in terms of content, shape, and polish. I haven't been able to get on Tim Schafer's new boat, but if you loved his previous works, Psychonatus 2 is hopelessly for you.

TechRaptor - 7.5 / 10

Psychonauts 2 is an imaginitve platforming experience and a great narrative driven game that is unfortunately marred by a few technical issues.

Gadgets 360 - 7 / 10

It's been a polished experience otherwise, yet again proving that games are better delayed than rushed. Psychonauts 2 has faced a long uphill battle, but its release is proof that some battles are worth the slog.

We Got This Covered - 3.5 / 5 stars

The universe of Psychonauts 2 is as creative and mind-bending as you would expect, but the 3D platforming still feels rooted in the past.

ACG - Buy

"One of the most confident, stylish, and playable platformers in years. Backed up by incredible writing."

Ars Technica - Unscored

Psychonauts 2 is one of the best video games I have ever played, and if anything in this review sounds like you and your family's bag, don't hesitate to join me in loving the heck out of it.

Console Creatures - Recommended

Psychonauts 2 is everything a sequel should be — bigger, bolder, better. Although the wait was much longer than anticipated, the top-tier writing and gameplay improvements more than makes the wait for a sequel worthwhile.

Echo Boomer - Portuguese - Loved

More than just a fun action-platformer, Psychonauts 2 throws us into an epic and abstract adventure that explores, in a playful and relaxed way, a series of real psychological conditions.

Eurogamer - Recommended

As witty, eccentric and imaginative as the 2005 action-platformer, with a more developed understanding of mental health.

GameOnAUS - Loved

I really enjoyed Psychonauts 2; it was funny, it was quirky, it was imaginative, and it was well designed all around.

Kotaku - Unscored

Psychonauts 2 isn’t about gunning down the big boss at the end and cheering over their dead body. It’s about understanding that even the biggest asshole is still a person, and deep down they may just need some help. We all need some help sometimes. The key is asking for it. Today, in 2021, it’s easy to look around and see people who seem cruel and evil, and to assume they are lost souls, not worth saving. Psychonauts 2 says otherwise. It says that everyone can change. I’m not sure I fully believe that, but I’ll be damned if that’s not one hell of a hopeful message.

Player2.net.au - A or higher

"the more I reflect on what makes it great, the more I’m convinced that this game is actually just amazing. It has such a colourful cast of characters, a fun spy plot, smooth mechanics and a whole lot of heart, and I personally couldn’t ask for anything more."

Polygon - Unscored

Psychonaut 2's levels are some of the most inventive in the platforming genre. There's an over-the-top cooking game show where you carry food stuff through a giant platforming gauntlet. There's also a humongous mailroom sorting office where you jump from flying envelope to flying envelope, all the while avoiding the vortex of letters below. You'll visit highly imaginative, gravity-bending dreamscape after dreamscape.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

It is playful. It's fun. It's climbing inside a giant wedding cake, riding flying letters, taking part in a giant cooking show with eggs that are excited to be boiled kind of fun.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Psychonauts 2 (25 August 2021) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted