Psychonauts 2 (25 August 2021) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

• 6 months later...

Psychonauts 2 releases in 2021 on Xbox Game Pass, Windows PC, Mac, Linux, and PS4. Best of all, it’ll be Optimized for Xbox Series X!

Psychonauts 2 is a mind-bending trip through the strange worlds hiding inside our brains. Freshly-minted special agent/acrobat extraordinaire Razputin “Raz” Aquato returns to unpack emotional baggage and expand mental horizons. Along the way he’ll help new friends (like this magical mote of light voiced by Jack Black) and unravel dark mysteries about the Psychonauts and his own family.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Psychonauts 2 - Information Thread, update: game is "playable"and is coming "this year"
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Psychonauts 2 - Information Thread, update: new screenshots, pre-load was briefly available today through the Xbox app
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Psychonauts 2 - Information Thread, update: Game Informer exclusive coverage
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Psychonauts 2 - Information Thread, update: new level gameplay footage from Game Informer
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Psychonauts 2 (25 August 2021) - Information Thread, update: "Official Gameplay Trailer - Xbox & Bethesda Games Showcase 2021"

Can't wait for this game!

@GameDadGrantthis is one of the  games im looking forward to slightly more than Metroid Dread this year 😜 Kena, Back4Blood and Horizon are the others!

Metroid is still Day 1 tho. Im definitely hyped for it! Just not as hype as id have been for Metroid Prime!

(Its all in good fun, I know Metroid will be incredible 😀)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Can't wait for this game!

@GameDadGrantthis is one of the  games im looking forward to slightly more than Metroid Dread this year 😜 Kena, Back4Blood and Horizon are the others!

Metroid is still Day 1 tho. Im definitely hyped for it! Just not as hype as id have been for Metroid Prime!

(Its all in good fun, I know Metroid will be incredible 😀)

All good, dude! Yeah this game looks cool. I still need to finish the first one. (I’m years late on doing that)

Its strange to me that this cutesy, cartoony platforming game is actually NOT on a Nintendo platform. I mean, I could *kinda* see the reasoning to not have put the first game on Gamecube back in the day (just due to sales numbers)...but they put it on the Xbox which basically had the same sales. And that crowd was not the right target demographic for what they were producing. So of course, the game bombed. 

Then is was even further stranger when they didn’t port it to the Wii. Basically the same hardware specs, but tremendously better sales numbers. Better demographic for that kind of game, too. But nope! They’d rather have it fade into obscurity. Capcom had a similar situation with Okami. It kinda tanked on PS2. But they ported it to Wii, and boom. Outsold the original version. Right game, right target audience, right hardware. Developers/producers of Psychonauts did not have the same foresight. 

And today, they have a chance to put a new Psychonauts game on Switch. Right demographic. And the best sales of any current-gen system. And they refuse AGAIN to put this series on Nintendo. Like...what? WHAT! What gives? 

It’s getting more exposure now, so hopefully this new game will do better than the first. But man they really shot themselves in the foot by not putting it on Switch. Maybe it’ll come later as a port. But probably not.

14 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Then is was even further stranger when they didn’t port it to the Wii. Basically the same hardware specs, but tremendously better sales numbers. Better demographic for that kind of game, too. But nope! They’d rather have it fade into obscurity. Capcom had a similar situation with Okami. It kinda tanked on PS2. But they ported it to Wii, and boom. Outsold the original version. Right game, right target audience, right hardware. Developers/producers of Psychonauts did not have the same foresight. 

And today, they have a chance to put a new Psychonauts game on Switch. Right demographic. And the best sales of any current-gen system. And they refuse AGAIN to put this series on Nintendo. Like...what? WHAT! What gives? 

Games Pass.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Microsoft owns Double Fine but they are playing nice with Nintendo, or they were with Ori so maybe if you're a good boy they'll bring it over.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Games Pass.

Eh?

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Microsoft owns Double Fine but they are playing nice with Nintendo, or they were with Ori so maybe if you're a good boy they'll bring it over.

I'm not counting on it! But...Microsoft owns Double Fine!? I didn't know this. But this game is coming to Playstation, right? So like...what?

Oddly enough, it might be fair to point out the original Psychonauts wasn't quite as geared towards younger audiences as it seems. A lot of the humor was fairly cerebral and idiosyncratic, having more in common with prime time animation, 90's nicktoons and adult swim than something you'd expect to see saturday mornings on the disney channel. If you explored every nook and cranny of some mental worlds you'd even stumble across some hella dark secrets of a few characters.  But you're probably right that it would be a smash hit on nintendo consoles being that it's a platformer with tons of creativity, vibrant art style, etc. 

8 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

I'm not counting on it! But...Microsoft owns Double Fine!? I didn't know this. But this game is coming to Playstation, right? So like...what?

It's still coming to PS4 (and PS5 via backwards compatibility) because it was promised to backers who funded the game. It could still be released on Switch, like Ori and a few more games have. Also the whole console exclusivity thing for studios isn't always permanent.

4 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Eh?

Microsoft owns Double Fine as of two years ago.

Games Pass means the game will have an audience that could check it out without the hurdle of purchasing it.

The only reason its coming to PS platforms is because of the Figg campaign promises.