Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - Information Thread, update: "Who is the Dread Wolf?" teaser trailer

Commissar SFLUFAN

Dragon age has an identity crisis as no two Dragon Age games are alike. 2 is actually a good game, but its not if Origins really hit the mark for you and al you wanted was more of that same style of CRPG. DA:I was also not a bad game but it certainly wasn't what I expected or wanted from the DA world.  I just want a game like Origins, and I pretty sure that's not what I'm going to get. 

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

hey eat shit 

I was just being snarky, not serious. But I often do find the female character options in RPGs to be better than the male ones. Like I said, I wouldn’t have enjoyed a lot of the RPGs that I’ve played if I had to play as the male protagonists instead of as the female ones, but that’s me. :shrug:

10 minutes ago, nublood said:

If it’s anything like Inquisition, I’m in. I loved that game and I played as a dude come at me. 

It’s nice to see someone else who really liked Dragon Age: Inquisition, because a lot of people shit on it and I don’t know why. But they shit on Mass Effect: Andromeda as well, and I thought that was really good too. My opinion on games doesn’t always align with the popular opinion, and that’s ok.

As for playing as a dude in these games, having attractive romance-able female characters in them does make it a little enticing but I usually find female protagonists in RPGs and games in general to be more appealing to play as. I find many male protagonists in games to be kind of generic, and/or douche-y.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phaseknox said:

It’s nice to see someone else who really liked Dragon Age: Inquisition, because a lot of people shit on it and I don’t know why. But they shit on Mass Effect: Andromeda as well, and I thought that was really good too. My opinion on games doesn’t always align with the popular opinion, and that’s ok.

As for playing as a dude in these games, having attractive romance-able female characters in them does make it a little enticing but I usually find female protagonists in RPGs and games in general to be more appealing to play as. I find many male protagonists in games to be kind of generic, and/or douche-y.

It seems critics liked it a lot more than audiences, based on Metacritic, where the user scores across platforms ranges from 6.0 on PC to 7.1 to 7.4 on PS4/Xbox One. Critics by comparison gave it a a much higher 85 to 89 compared to audiences, so might explain why the game is considered good and not good at the same time.

DA 2 is so weird. So many caves in the game are the same map, just with different parts inaccessible. Like a palette swapped enemy except it’s the environment. You’ll also collect quest items in the clone caves for NPCs you haven’t met, then when you walk near them, they thank you for completing the quest you didn’t know about and slurp the item away from you. 

Oh and the combat is bad. 

Some parts of the story are pretty good though. And it tried to fellate lord of the rings a bit less then origins so that’s something. 

• Thanks 1

I played Origins many, many times. I'd say at least 3 full playthroughs in addition to a few partial playthroughs. I played through Dragon Age II probably twice. I enjoyed it even with the recycled dungeons. I only played through Inquisition once, and have never felt particularly inclined to ever play it again. Which is kind of a big deal since replayability is kind of a selling point of these games.

There hasn't been a "bad" Dragon Age game yet, though, at least in my opinion. I'm interested to see what they do next, even if it ends up being nearly a full decade since Inquisition comes out by the time we can actually play Dreadwolf.

Why I hate DA:I

All the romance options suck and they are all ugly on all sides.

That also means all the party members suck. So many companions and characters spend the game sniffing their farts.

Most companions are only skin deep. Caricatures instead of characters each with a slathering of mental illness to make them just oh so special. 

Lace Harding is not a proper party member or romance option.

The side quests are bad. They have no story element and are all go here do task and return. They really are WoW quests but worse. 

The Maps are bad. They are simply too large for their own good. Needless filler. 

Each area is overly large simply because of DA2 criticisms and all they did was change out 1 bad for another. 

The story is bad. The inquisition sucks. The inquisitor's origin is just dog shit and it is a dog shit introduction. 

The final boss is shit. The game ends in a "That's it?" moment. 

Combat is repetitive. Dragons are over used and boring and they make up the majority of bosses in the game. 

Crafting was added. 

The War Table. 

• Halal 1

13 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

You are not alone.  I enjoyed DA:I and Andromeda as well.  DA:I was by no means a great game as the side quests got repetitive and it was a bloated, which lead to many of the areas feeling lifeless.  The main story and the companion quests were enjoyable and I had a good time when i just focused on those.  I really enjoyed all three of the DLCs as well. 

I hope they learned that more does not always mean better and I am really excited for the new game.

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

Why I hate DA:I

All the romance options suck and they are all ugly on all sides.

That also means all the party members suck. So many companions and characters spend the game sniffing their farts.

Most companions are only skin deep. Caricatures instead of characters each with a slathering of mental illness to make them just oh so special. 

Lace Harding is not a proper party member or romance option.

The side quests bad. They have no story element and are all go here do task and return. They really are WoW quests but worse. 

The Maps are bad. They are simply too large for their own good. Needless filler. 

Each area is overly large simply because of DA2 criticisms and all they didn't was change out 1 bad for another. 

The story is bad. The inquisition sucks. The inquisitor's origin is just dog shit and it is a dog shit introduction. 

The final boss is shit. The game ends in a "That's it?" moment. 

Combat is repetitive. Dragons are over used and boring and the make up the majority off bosses in the game. 

Crafting was added. 

The War Table. 

You're right on all fronts, though I don't think as extreme as you do. I enjoyed the game enough to give it one full playthrough, which I only do for like 20% of RPGs (when RPGs are great, they're the best gaming experience, but if they're not great, I'm not going to spend 70 hours playing something that is just okay)

But I think you're right. If they went too small on DA2, they went too big on Inquisition in a way that was mostly empty. For every time I thought "I wonder what would happen if I choose X instead of Y" I thought "ugh, I definitely don't want to do that again." That's a problem for a game where replayability is supposed to be one of the main draws.

I think that's what made Origins so special. 1) even if you do a 100% playthrough, it only took like 40 hours. 2) so many different side quests had so many different options that your choices felt like they mattered. Shit, Alistair, who is your best mate and moral compass throughout the game, will straight up leave your party without warning if your choose the "humane" option at one point. The world is not black and white, there is no good or bad. Inquisition tries to hit that, but only in a superficial way.

8 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I played Origins many, many times. I'd say at least 3 full playthroughs in addition to a few partial playthroughs. I played through Dragon Age II probably twice. I enjoyed it even with the recycled dungeons. I only played through Inquisition once, and have never felt particularly inclined to ever play it again. Which is kind of a big deal since replayability is kind of a selling point of these games.

Same with me... I have at least six full playthroughs on Origins, playing as. a Warden with each origin at least once. Pretty sure I've seen everything there is to see in that game and I've gotten all of the achivements except for like two or three that I DID get but didn't unlock for some reason. Same with Dragon Age 2, which WAS a dissappointment for me initially but then grew on me with subsequent playthroughs. I only played Inquisition once. The game was fine but I never really connecetd with any of the characters the same way I did with the other two games especially Origins. I'll more than likely do another full playthrough of all three games in the run up to the new game coming out, but I really hope they manage to recapture the magic of Origins. One thing I will note, the combat in these games gets BETTER for me the harder the difficulty. I beat the first two games on the hardest difficulty but I don't think I did so with Inquisition.

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Well Origins took like a million years to come out. Then they somehow pooped out DAO2 a couple years later and it showed.

True. Origins looked dated even when it came out, and it wasn't like that game didn't have a budget. Development must have been a shit show.

1 hour ago, Dawnguard2001 said:

You are not alone.  I enjoyed DA:I and Andromeda as well.  DA:I was by no means a great game as the side quests got repetitive and it was a bloated, which lead to many of the areas feeling lifeless.  The main story and the companion quests were enjoyable and I had a good time when i just focused on those.  I really enjoyed all three of the DLCs as well.

It’s been eight years since I played Dragon Age: Inquisition, so perhaps I’m looking back on it a bit with rose-colored glasses. I just remember really enjoying it, but it’s possible that I might notice its flaws more now. I’ve been meaning to play it again since I want to play its DLC, so maybe I will soon.

26 minutes ago, stepee said:

na I don’t really like BOTW

Neither do I. Zelda games have always been about the dungeons, the dungeons in BOTW sucked. Leads to a world that feels empty.

Not to say the game outright sucks or anything, but it's easily the worst Zelda game I've played, not counting the first two which were made when people didn't really know how to make good games, so they get graded on a curve.

11 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I remember when I was the only person who hated botw. It fuckin' sucks and everyone who likes it is dumb and doesn't actually like zelda at all. 

You must have misremembered because I've never liked it. My weapons broke, I climbed a mountain and the stupid freeze meter built up. I just used the bombs because you had unlimited of them and they never broke. Game sux.

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You must have misremembered because I've never liked it. My weapons broke, I climbed a mountain and the stupid freeze meter built up. I just used the bombs because you had unlimited of them and they never broke. Game sux.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it sux, but I got bored with it pretty quickly. The weapon breaking was just annoying as fuck.

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I wouldn't go so far as to say it sux, but I got bored with it pretty quickly. The weapon breaking was just annoying as fuck.

9 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

1 hour ago, stepee said:

na I don’t really like BOTW

Point Agree GIF by Ford

16 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

feels game of thrones GIF

What's your point? The first two Zelda games were made when console gaming was in its infancy. I literally just played the original Zelda last week. The basic gameplay loop that we all know and love is there, but they didn't know how to tie it all together because they were still making arcade games. So, by modern standards, the original Zelda kind of sucks. But they didn't know any better.

With BOTW, they knew better, they just made an empty game. Pretty much every Zelda game since a link to the past has been a perfect example of tight gameplay woven into a great large experience until BOTW, which was just.... a game.