Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - Information Thread, update: "Who is the Dread Wolf?" teaser trailer

Commissar SFLUFAN

Yep definitely Solas. From the music at the start, it sounded a bit like the techno backdrop in a ME game, but it's definitely DA.

The implication from what he says is not just that this is a DA game though, but that this will be the first in which you continue on as a the same character (the Inquisitor).

1 hour ago, legend said:

Yep definitely Solas. From the music at the start, it sounded a bit like the techno backdrop in a ME game, but it's definitely DA.

The implication from what he says is not just that this is a DA game though, but that this will be the first in which you continue on as a the same character (the Inquisitor).

You think so? Also rumor is this game will deal a lot with Tervinter.

21 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I really didn’t care for the combat in Inquisition but enjoyed everything else. 

Yeah, I wasn't super thrilled with the combat or how rigid they made the classes. I would like the flexibility they had with the first, where a DPS or bow warrior build were possible.

13 minutes ago, jaethos said:

Yeah, I wasn't super thrilled with the combat or how rigid they made the classes. I would like the flexibility they had with the first, where a DPS or bow warrior build were possible.

Yeah if they can modernize everything that made Origins great, they'd be on to something. The problem is they were trying to shoehorn in multiplayer in the game. DA:O is one of the best RPG'S every made and I've beaten it multiple times and will beat it again lol

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You think so? Also rumor is this game will deal a lot with Tervinter.

The words he says are "So, you found me at at last. I suspect you have questions." The familiar "you" and the context of finding him at last with questions suggests to me that he's talking to the Inquisitor. The only other character that might be an appropriate response would be if you're playing another old god or someone from his distant past. But that doesn't seem likely.

I'll add that I haven't played any of the DAI DLC so maybe there's more I'm missing, but seems like a good indicator.

• 1 month later...

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-dragon-age-game-might-have-multiplayer-job-lis/1100-6464321/

BioWare Edmonton has announced new job postings for an upcoming Dragon Age game, and one of the roles hints the game will include multiplayer. The job is for a franchise technical director, and it's possibly to work on the Dragon Age title first teased during 2018's The Game Awards.

According to the job posting, first noticed and reported on by Gear Nuke, BioWare is looking for someone to be "the most senior engineering lead on the game team and a key member of the Dragon Age franchise leadership." The franchise technical director will "build and mentor the engineering team, build and execute the game technology plan, and define and direct the development process." They also need to have "experience developing multiplayer games."

Dragon Age Inquisition, the third and most recent game in the fantasy role-playing game franchise, is the only title in the series to have multiplayer. In Inquisition, the multiplayer mode has you and up to three others making your way through one of three dungeons that are each filled with increasingly difficult computer-controlled enemies. As you and your team progress, you unlock more powerful weapons and abilities. This progress does not tie back to the main campaign though. Perhaps BioWare is planning to further develop this mode for the next Dragon Age game. However, the developer could just as easily be creating a brand-new mode as well.

BioWare hasn't released much information on the new Dragon Age, but the studio has been teasing another entry to the beloved franchise in the past few months. Executive producer Mark Darrah has confirmed the new game has been in the works for "quite a while" and that it is being made by "core" Dragon Age veterans who also worked on Jade Empire and Baldur's Gate. BioWare boss Casey Hudson has also teased more Mass Effect is on the way too.

• 2 months later...

Jason delivers yet again!

In December 2018, developer BioWare teased the next Dragon Age game, hinting at a mysterious future for the popular fantasy series—one that’s enticing, but seems very far away. Why, more than four years after Dragon Age: Inquisition, is Dragon Age 4 still so early in development? The answer is complicated, and reflective of BioWare’s turbulence over the past decade.

This part breaks my heart

Another former BioWare developer who worked on Joplin called it “some of the best work experiences” they’d ever had. “We were working towards something very cool, a hugely reactive game, smaller in scope than Dragon Age: Inquisitionbut much larger in player choice, followers, reactivity, and depth,” they said. “I’m sad that game will never get made.”

You’d play as a group of spies in Tevinter Imperium, a wizard-ruled country on the north end of Dragon Age’s main continent, Thedas. The goal was to focus as much as possible on choice and consequence, with smaller areas and fewer fetch quests than Dragon Age: Inquisition. (In other words, they wanted Joplin to be the opposite of the Hinterlands.) There was an emphasis on “repeat play,” one developer said, noting that they wanted to make areas that changed over time and missions that branched in interesting ways based on your decisions, to the point where you could even get “non-standard game overs” if you followed certain paths.

A large chunk of Joplin would center on heists. The developers talked about building systemic narrative mechanics, allowing the player to perform actions like persuading or extorting guards without the writers having to hand-craft every scene. It was all very ambitious and very early, and would have no doubt changed drastically once Joplin entered production, but members of the team say they were thrilled about the possibilities

THIS game sounds cool as hell and jibes with rumors from awhile back that the next Dragon Age would be set in Tervinter.

EA/Bioware is about to fuck Dragon Age up isn't it?

20 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This part breaks my heart

THIS game sounds cool as hell and jibes with rumors from awhile back that the next Dragon Age would be set in Tervinter.

EA/Bioware is about to fuck Dragon Age up isn't it?

Yes, the next Dragon Age is fucked, because EA is going to force them to use Frostbite again. 

14 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Seems less about the engine and more that they are forcing the "Live service"  aspect onto the franchise.

Well the engine will ensure it runs with performance issues, has lots of frequent and lengthy load times, and take the team longer to do even the smallest of programming tasks. The end result the game will release buggy, and feeling like it didn’t spend enough time in development in order to meet a release deadline. 

4 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Well the engine will ensure it runs with performance issues, has lots of frequent and lengthy load times, and take the team longer to do even the smallest of programming tasks. The end result the game will release buggy, and feeling like it didn’t spend enough time in development in order to meet a release deadline. 

Except the article seems to state that because of the work done on Inquisition, they know how to use the engine now. The engine seems to be less of a problem and the directive to make the games a games as service game is the real cause for concern.

EDIT: Also has Bioware ever released a non-buggy game regardless of the engine used?

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Except the article seems to state that because of the work done on Inquisition, they know how to use the engine now. The engine seems to be less of a problem and the directive to make the games a games as service game is the real cause for concern.

Not even Dice likes Frostbite, and the engine was seemingly made for them to make FPS games. 

Anthem shows that Bioware is not comfortable with the engine after Inquisition AND Andromeda. 

I guess it all depends on how EA wants them to

monetize Dragon Age as a Games As Service title. 

Another common issue issue with all these games as service titles is poor project management. Wasted time without a solid vision for the final product and a meddlesome publisher. Teams end up wasting 18+ months of development time. Having an engine that doesn’t waste their time and make their job harder would go a long way to having a better finished product at release. 

With a better, more fleshed out mission structure, the multiplayer of DA:I could have made for a decent GAS title. It just wasn’t engaging enough to keep you playing. 

Did you guys not read the fucking article?

It literally ends with one of the studio's biggest wishes being to get rid of the goddamned engine, there is no way to spin it as them liking the engine or the engine being even satisfactory.

We’ll have to see how the next few months and years proceed. If there’s one wish among people connected to BioWare (besides “get rid of Frostbite”), it’s that Morrison will follow Joplin’s lead and not just become a great game, but an example of a project whose leaders are trying to do production right.