The Outer Worlds (Obsidian's Fallout/Firefly-inspired first-person RPG) - Information Thread, update - interview with Tim Cain & Leonard Boyarsky about "Dreaming Big on a Budget"

Commissar SFLUFAN

“While we aren’t discussing the exact amount of areas, a good bit of context for the approach is to think of what we did in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, with potentially more ground to cover and explore in each area,” 

Nice!

• 1 month later...
On 12/17/2018 at 1:16 AM, Xbob42 said:

"This project actually has limitations the developers understood and took into account while making the game instead of being a bloated fuckfest of pointless side activities, watch out!"

Seriously thank fuck. I'm so tired (as a completionist gamer) of 50+ hour games (I mean, shit, The Witcher 3 is 100+ hours). I do it - Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5, Nioh, etc. but man do I appreciate shorter games. I want a narrative experience and buttery-smooth excellently coded gameplay at 4K 60fps, not a slogfest. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Outer Worlds is Game Informer's March cover: 

Get ready for a full month of exclusive content from Game Informer covering Obsidian's upcoming RPG The Outer Worlds. We'll be showing new gameplay, interviews with the original creators of Fallout Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky, and Obsidian's CEO Feargus Urquhart.

https://www.gameinformer.com/theouterworlds

On 1/27/2019 at 1:11 PM, Greatoneshere said:

Seriously thank fuck. I'm so tired (as a completionist gamer) of 50+ hour games (I mean, shit, The Witcher 3 is 100+ hours). I do it - Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5, Nioh, etc. but man do I appreciate shorter games. I want a narrative experience and buttery-smooth excellently coded gameplay at 4K 60fps, not a slogfest. 

I loved Doom for this reason - the gameplay was prioritized first, so the 12-20 hours it takes to finish the game were awesome the entire time.

The Wildest Weapons In The Outer Worlds

The Outer Worlds isn’t exactly a serious or believable game, but it generally adheres to its own internal logic. Except when it comes to science weapons. These unique items are difficult to find, but thorough explorers who amass a collection of them are treated to a variety of outlandish and entertaining effects. During our time at Obsidian Entertainment, we talked to the team in detail about one of these weapons – the shrink ray – and about how the science weapons in general are implemented in The Outer Worlds.

In this exclusive Game Informer interview, the co-directors of Obsidian's The Outer Worlds Tim Cain and Leon Boyarsky talk about attacks on Bethesda and Fallout 76 coming from fans of their upcoming RPG and why they find it upsetting to attack any developer. 

Continued Game Informer coverage:

The Story Behind The Outer Worlds’ Amazing Art

The Outer Worlds has a unique visual style that merges classic sci-fi inspirations with the team’s own vision. As players pursue their space adventures, they are treated to a variety of people, places, and creatures that evoke pulpy serials, comic books, Westerns, and more. This look and feel is an integral part of the experience, and we talked to The Outer Worlds' art lead Daniel Alpert and co-director Leonard Boyarsky about the art team’s goals and process when creating the game’s stylish appearance.

How The Outer Worlds Lets You Play Your Way

The Outer Worlds is full of different possibilities, and depending on the choices players make, their experiences with the story and gameplay could vary greatly. That’s a foundational element of the game’s design; co-directors Leonard Boyarsky and Tim Cain have been iterating on how to accommodate player choice since their days working together on the original Fallout. We talked to the duo about why this concept is so important in The Outer Worlds, and the kinds of decisions players can expect during the journey.

The Universe Of The Outer Worlds

One of the most exciting aspects of The Outer Worlds is the opportunity to see the role-playing experts at Obsidian try their hand at a brand-new setting. While the gameplay of this new franchise draws comparisons to other first-person RPGs, the universe that players explore is entirely new. Set in a distant corner of the galaxy, The Outer Worlds is a fascinating mix of classic sci-fi pulp and an irreverent send-up of corporate culture and capitalism. The character you play is, in many ways, as much an outsider as you are as the player – a recently unfrozen colonist forced to contend with a bizarre culture and alien solar system – and that backdrop promises to be especially memorable.

Everything We Know About Companions In The Outer Worlds

You may be exploring a faraway star system in The Outer Worlds, but that doesn’t mean you need to be lonely. You encounter other people during your travels who are willing to fight by your side and join your crew, and who enrich your experience by offering different perspectives. We talked to a team of writers at Obsidian to get specific info on three of the companions you can recruit, as well as various other tidbits about the studio’s general approach to these characters.

• 4 weeks later...