Carbon Dioxide Emissions Are Up Again After Leveling Off From 2014 - 2016

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/05/673821051/carbon-dioxide-emissions-are-up-again-what-now-climate

The CO2 increase in 2017 over the previous year was 1.6 percent, and in 2018 it's looking like emissions will have grown a further 2.7 percent. With the economy strong throughout most of the world, 2019 looks to be headed in the same direction, in terms of carbon emissions. 

The recent slowdown in emissions and the subsequent uptick are both largely the result of what's been happening in China.

"Their economy has been slowing a bit," says Jackson, which is one reason global emissions stalled (China is the largest emitter of CO2 in the world). But now, says Jackson, "the government is trying to boost growth, and they're green-lighting some coal projects that had been on hold." 

India is also using a lot more coal as the government tries to bring electricity to millions of residents who don't have it. The country's emissions of CO2 have increased, on average, by 4.7 percent a year since 2000. 

Transportation passed power generation in CO2 a few years back in the US, due to plants switching to Natural gas and more renewables while gas got cheaper and cars are getting bigger again.  Hopefully electric car production doesn't slow down as just about everyone is starting to crank them out now.

15 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

People are buying SUVs because gas is cheap - morons

My wife's 300 horsepower 2014 explorer gets nearly the same mileage as my 10 year old Toyota matrix. The explorer is a full size SUV and weighs a ton more.  SUVs aren't nearly as wasteful as they used to be.

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

My wife's 300 horsepower 2014 explorer gets nearly the same mileage as my 10 year old Toyota matrix. The explorer is a full size SUV and weighs a ton more.  SUVs are nearly as wasteful as they used to be.

I'm in a similar situation where I have a Honda Civic from 2008 and it gets worse gas mileage than my Wife's SUV by around 8 miles to the gallon! Now granted, her "SUV" is a compact one, but still, for being a juice box on wheels, it sure sips gas. 

18 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

My car gets 42mpg, unless you're in the high 30s, your car is wasteful.

I don't care that a bloated car today gets the same mileage as an unbloated less efficient car yesterday. Like.. that's not a great example.

The vast majority of cars would struggle with a day to day MPG in the high 30s, i have a Cruze and i average ~30 in the summer a bit less in the winter, but if i only hit highways all the time yeah almost 40 would be possible.

But make no mistake if people stuck to cars we'd be much better off, because those same advances making SUVs like cars were 10 years ago are also in the cars pushing them into the 30s with day to day driving.  I'd also like to point out your own personal driving habits in your car compared to your Wifes in her SUV could be drastically different, more highway miles, less idling ect.. could be the bigger reason why those 10 year old cars aren't doing as great as your wifes Newer SUV.

New diesel motors are also fantastic with the DEF systems, great MPG, without all the pollution, but the downside is the new emission systems are expensive which drives up the cost a lot.

Here's the thing, slow clap for yourselves. You've done nothing to change your behavior, and somehow you've been convinced that wasteful cars today matching average cars in the past is an accomplishment that you've achieved. The ultimate participation trophy for doing nothing different. Congratulations, you've done nothing. Nothing has changed, the numbers are worse. You did it!

14 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

Here's the thing, slow clap for yourselves. You've done nothing to change your behavior, and somehow you've been convinced that wasteful cars today matching average cars in the past is an accomplishment that you've achieved. The ultimate participation trophy for doing nothing different. Congratulations, you've done nothing. Nothing has changed, the numbers are worse. You did it!

:flag: