Do I need to get a REAL ID to fly domestically?

johnny

56 minutes ago, Pikachu said:

I can understand not having a passport if you don't travel internationally at all. They're not cheap either.

Yes, before I get too much shit over my comment :p I will state that I was mostly kidding. I know a lot of people don't have passports and/or go on a lot of international trips. Still, passports are not that expensive. $145 for 10 years is really not bad. I realize it's an "additional" cost over a driver's license, but considering that driver's licenses are valid from 4-8 years and cost anywhere from $10 to $89 (all data from this website), depending on the state, the average yearly cost for a driver's license is $6.72. So at $145 for 10 years it is relatively more expensive than a driver's license, per year.  Still, I think most people here can afford an extra $14.50 per year. :p 

Just now, Boyle5150 said:

$75-$85 is not expensive for a 10 yr travel document which allows for world travel.  

I also don't understand letting it expire once you have it. It's a PITA to have to start from scratch, but it's pretty easy to just keep renewing it.

Just now, Jason said:

I also don't understand letting it expire once you have it. It's a PITA to have to start from scratch, but it's pretty easy to just keep renewing it.

Seriously.  I have to renew mine in 2019 and honestly it’s just something you budget for if you want to travel abroad.  It’s the cost of a video game 

Lol at telling people they need a passport. A lot of Americans don’t really get the privilege of traveling the world. If you have the money sure why not I guess. But you could also wait until you’re going to actually plan to go overseas to spend the money. 

1 hour ago, johnny said:

Lol at telling people they need a passport. A lot of Americans don’t really get the privilege of traveling the world. If you have the money sure why not I guess. But you could also wait until you’re going to actually plan to go overseas to spend the money. 

Never having had one is one thing, but if you already have it then it's dumb to let it expire.

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2019 at 2:22 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

Man, my license expires in a month and I have to get one of these. All the appointments for the DMV are taken all the way up to may 3rd!

Did something change with renewing a license? In the past all I had to do was go online and pay, print out some paper and take it to the dmv photo room. Usually in and out in 10 minutes. 

9 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Did something change with renewing a license? In the past all I had to do was go online and pay, print out some paper and take it to the dmv photo room. Usually in and out in 10 minutes. 

I have to get a REAL ID which requires me to go to the DMV and bring a bunch of documentation.

And the DMV is busy as shit at all hours of the day.

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I have to get a REAL ID which requires me to go to the DMV and bring a bunch of documentation.

And the DMV is busy as shit at all hours of the day.

Damn that sucks. Just read here in PA that Real ID will be available starting in March. Sounds like a pain in the ass. 

I just got my license renewed and got the star on it. Very glad I don't have to bother with that again until 2025.

I live right on the state line, so instead of going to the BMV 5 minutes away from my house I gotta drive a fucking hour to get my liscense from a state a barely drive in.

Last year I drove all the way out there just to be told I needed two forms of mail proving my address instead of just one(because apparently one is really easy to forge, but two is where you trip up).

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

Last year I drove all the way out there just to be told I needed two forms of mail proving my address instead of just one(because apparently one is really easy to forge, but two is where you trip up).

This was almost me. She asked "do you have a second form?" and I said "uhhh nooo" and she said it was ok.

2 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

I just got my license renewed and got the star on it. Very glad I don't have to bother with that again until 2025.

I live right on the state line, so instead of going to the BMV 5 minutes away from my house I gotta drive a fucking hour to get my liscense from a state a barely drive in.

What do they allow? If I show my phone bill and auto insurance does that count? House stuff is NOT in my name. 

33 minutes ago, johnny said:

What do they allow? If I show my phone bill and auto insurance does that count? House stuff is NOT in my name. 

There's a list online, do it online first and get a confirmation otherwise when you go to the DMV they will ask you if you did it online and if you didn't you'll get cucked.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/realid/checklist

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

There's a list online, do it online first and get a confirmation otherwise when you go to the DMV they will ask you if you did it online and if you didn't you'll get cucked.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/realid/checklist

Yeah, good suggestion. Probably also a good idea to take as many pieces as you can just in case they decide not to accept one. I took 4, just in case. Also, your birth certificate, social security card, and current ID(but none of those count towards the proof of address afaik) @johnny

The lady was also pretty picky about my birth certificate. I have it folded, and I guess the seal was on one of the creases. She said, "I'll have to ask for a second opinion on this" and I was thinking, "you do that, don't know what the hell you think is gonna happen if they don't approve."

I would have been screwed if they hadn't accepted it because in my experience it takes monthes yo try to track down a new copy of your birth certificate. And I had waited until it was close to expiring(in March) so I probably would have been stuck taking a written test and maybe even a road test again.