Do I need to get a REAL ID to fly domestically?

johnny

FEDERAL NON-COMPLIANT
DRIVER LICENSE / ID CARD

You can NOT use it to board a domestic flight or enter a secure federal facility that requires identification –such as a military base- STARTING October 1, 2020. (You will have to use some other valid identification such as a valid U.S. Passport).

2 hours ago, Boyle5150 said:

have you never flown before?  wtf?  Yes a "real" ID is required for comercial air travel.  You can always fly private

http://www.govtech.com/security/After-15-Years-REAL-ID-is-Finally-Materializing.html

I got mine last year. I think my husband finally found his birth certificate and should be able to go get his soon.

Dumbest shit I've read in a while. For us since Illinois has an extension we can still travel with our DL. Real ID is driver's license with a star (since you have to go to DMV with SS card and two proofs of address in person) Which is what you need anyway to get a DL. The cost for all this I'm sure is huge and it doesn't do anything different than what regular DL did :facepalm:

Oh wait I get a star 

@johnny California has extension through January 10th, 2019. Do just go to DMV with your social security card and proofs of address. That's it. 

The real nightmare is going to be having to go the DMV instead of being able to renew by mail if they haven't fixed the DMV clusterfuck backlogs in a couple of years (mine expires a few months before the REAL ID requirement kicks in). And then I'm not sure if you can renew by mail once you have it, or if you have to go in person every time you need to renew.

8 hours ago, Jason said:

The real nightmare is going to be having to go the DMV instead of being able to renew by mail if they haven't fixed the DMV clusterfuck backlogs in a couple of years (mine expires a few months before the REAL ID requirement kicks in). And then I'm not sure if you can renew by mail once you have it, or if you have to go in person every time you need to renew.

Have you been to a CA DMV yet?

Remember to take your switch. I went there a year or two ago, showed up when they opened and still had to wait like 3 hours. :|

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Have you been to a CA DMV yet?

Remember to take your switch. I went there a year or two ago, showed up when they opened and still had to wait like 3 hours. :|

It wasn't bad at all in 2015, but I've heard all about how bad it's gotten. :s

17 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Enhanced ID is very helpful, especially when taking a quick trip over the border to Canada. Works good for flights  as well. 

Don't you still need a passport card? Or can you do the land crossing with just an enhanced driver's license?

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Don't you still need a passport card? Or can you do the land crossing with just an enhanced driver's license?

I've done it three times in the last 6 years for various business trips and they've waved me through each time. If they require more, they haven't said so, so I'll just keep it up until they turn me away! :p

30 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I've done it three times in the last 6 years for various business trips and they've waved me through each time. If they require more, they haven't said so, so I'll just keep it up until they turn me away! :p

Enhanced ID's work without the need of a passport in Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean.