Microsoft in advanced talks to buy mid-sized studio that's historically worked with Sony

SaysWho?

From what I understand, this person called the other MS acquisitions as well (or at least most of them) and has some insider knowledge.

Speculation I'm seeing on Reset is Ready at Dawn. Since Housemarque is small, Quantic Dream likes working with Sony, and Supermassive said they have exclusives in the works with Sony, that does make some sense. Could also be a developer like Sanzaru.

39 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

That was my first thought. They did work with MS on Sunset Overdrive.

That would be a pretty significant purchase for MS if it is them and did go through (some big ifs there).

It's not. Insom not only values their independence, and not only likes working with Sony (and will surely be working on Spider-Man 2 with them), but they've also said that Sony as a publisher offers the best pipeline for developing single-player games like Spidey and that a publisher's influence is underrated in that regard.

It also says "a bit," so I doubt it's a company with a 20-year relationship who also owns the IP to a franchise they love in Ratchet.

9 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

It's not. Insom not only values their independence, and not only likes working with Sony (and will surely be working on Spider-Man 2 with them), but they've also said that Sony as a publisher offers the best pipeline for developing single-player games like Spidey and that a publisher's influence is underrated in that regard.

It also says "a bit," so I doubt it's a company with a 20-year relationship who also owns the IP to a franchise they love in Ratchet.

You're probably right, but you never know. MS is the company that spent $2.5B on Mojang and they might be feeling flush after taking the crown of most valuable company on the planet. Even with all their recent acquisitions, they don't seem to have an obvious team to put together a Spider-Man / God of War / etc. quality single player game.

Still, Ready at Dawn seems far more likely.

3 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

You're probably right, but you never know. MS is the company that spent $2.5B on Mojang and they might be feeling flush after taking the crown of most valuable company on the planet. Even with all their recent acquisitions, they don't seem to have an obvious team to put together a Spider-Man / God of War / etc. quality single player game.

Still, Ready at Dawn seems far more likely.

Indeed, you really never know. I have no insider info. :p 

It just seems like with all of that, the words "a bit," and Insomniac being a pretty big independent studio, it seems like it doesn't fit the mid-sized studio the insider is talking about.

24 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

This is a very sensible analysis. Except you forgot to account for the fact that we're clearly living in the worst timeline :p 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

Money > good working relationship 

Don't think it would be the first time they've been given an offer. The company has been doing pretty well, and with sales of Spidey, that's quite a bit of money for a continued healthy and successful relationship.

I think you guys are overlooking the “a bit” too much.

RaD is a possibility but they’re living off chinese funds atm to target mobile space. 

I’m thinking it’s more a studio that did one or two titles for Sony like Sanzaru who also can fill a void for ms in the family friendly market.