Jump to content
SaysWho?

~*Official 2020 Presidential Election Thread of miscellaneous stuff that isn't worth its own thread and now sayswho finishes his edits to the OP until November*~

Recommended Posts

Meanwhile, Chris Christie is SLOWLY turning into a cultist in regards to this “Obamagate” bullshit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something I've been seeing in polls the last month is that pollsters are starting to track "double-haters" at greater rates. This group of people hate both candidates. In 2016 this group went for Trump by huge margins, but right now is breaking to Biden (by something like 90 to 10). 

 

Very interesting that both this election and the last election will likely be decided as a "both candidates suck, which sucks less?" decision, rather than one of motivation and inspiration. Will the US ever return to inspirational politics?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It boggles my mind how campaigns can put almost no effort into going after certain segments of the population. I understand that some will be weaker than others in certain areas, but it sounds like Biden's team hasn't even tried any outreach to Latino groups, similar to how Clinton did almost nothing for rural white pro-labour voters. I get that they think they have a winning coalition with other groups (educated white + black, or whatever), but why not at least bring some people on and try? As the last election has shown, you can win or lose key states by very small margins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CitizenVectron said:

It boggles my mind how campaigns can put almost no effort into going after certain segments of the population. I understand that some will be weaker than others in certain areas, but it sounds like Biden's team hasn't even tried any outreach to Latino groups, similar to how Clinton did almost nothing for rural white pro-labour voters. I get that they think they have a winning coalition with other groups (educated white + black, or whatever), but why not at least bring some people on and try? As the last election has shown, you can win or lose key states by very small margins.

 

I mean if he's vetting Lujan Grisham, he's at least taking it somewhat seriously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Something I've been seeing in polls the last month is that pollsters are starting to track "double-haters" at greater rates. This group of people hate both candidates. In 2016 this group went for Trump by huge margins, but right now is breaking to Biden (by something like 90 to 10). 

 

Very interesting that both this election and the last election will likely be decided as a "both candidates suck, which sucks less?" decision, rather than one of motivation and inspiration. Will the US ever return to inspirational politics?

 

I mean... yeah, lol. Obama wasn't that long ago.

 

2000 and 2004 were "who sucks less" elections. I don't think Nixon was inspiring either time. Seen as less extreme, I guess? But not an inspirational candidate. And George H W Bush v Dukakis certainly wasn't. It's not as if people were inspired for decades and then it just came to a stop. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay so I'm absolutely embarrassed to ask you guys this at this point in my life, but I've always been lost when it comes to Israel and Palestine. I don't know what's going on and where the conflict begins and ends, if that's what it is... is there a good resource that explains and summarizes this whole thing like as if I'm a 5 year old.

 

:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Joestradamus said:

Okay so I'm absolutely embarrassed to ask you guys this at this point in my life, but I've always been lost when it comes to Israel and Palestine. I don't know what's going on and where the conflict begins and ends, if that's what it is... is there a good resource that explains and summarizes this whole thing like as if I'm a 5 year old.

 

:(

After WW2 we created Israel, which everyone in the region was really not happy about, but couldn't prevent cause of US backing, and they turned into a bag of dicks that we've chained ourselves to for no apparent reason other than not wanting to admit it was a huge mistake.  In this specific issue Israel keeps expanding/building settlements in territory claimed by the Palestinians, and a significant number of Americans have convinced themselves that Israel is the good guys here cause Arabs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Joestradamus said:

Okay so I'm absolutely embarrassed to ask you guys this at this point in my life, but I've always been lost when it comes to Israel and Palestine. I don't know what's going on and where the conflict begins and ends, if that's what it is... is there a good resource that explains and summarizes this whole thing like as if I'm a 5 year old.

 

:(


So, it starts a couple thousand years ago with a dead beat dad...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

After WW2 we created Israel, which everyone in the region was really not happy about, but couldn't prevent cause of US backing, and they turned into a bag of dicks that we've chained ourselves to for no apparent reason other than not wanting to admit it was a huge mistake.  In this specific issue Israel keeps expanding/building settlements in territory claimed by the Palestinians, and a significant number of Americans have convinced themselves that Israel is the good guys here cause Arabs. the Bible and the second coming.

FTFY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

FTFY

Yup. The reason there is so much pressure to support Israel's actions are we want Jesus to come back after they rebuild the magic temple. Why do we want Jesus to come back? Because Americans think they're the saved ones. :rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Joestradamus said:

Okay so I'm absolutely embarrassed to ask you guys this at this point in my life, but I've always been lost when it comes to Israel and Palestine. I don't know what's going on and where the conflict begins and ends, if that's what it is... is there a good resource that explains and summarizes this whole thing like as if I'm a 5 year old.

 

:(

In reality, the current situation effectively begins towards the end of the First World War when the British promised the territory that is now Israel, the Palestinian territories, and the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan to the Arab tribes in exchange for their help in defeating the Ottoman Empire.

 

The problem is that the British also promised the same territory as a "national home for the Jewish people" in the Balfour Declaration of 1917.  This is after the British command in the Middle East explicitly promised to the Arab tribes that there would never be a "Jewish homeland" in Palestine. 

 

This endorsement of "Zionism" led to the significant emigration of European Jews to Palestine (largely due to rising anti-Semitism in Europe, especially in Germany and Russia) and the subsequent tensions and eventual displacement of the local Palestinian population, culminating in the declaration of independence of the State of Israel in 1948.

 

To summarize, the current mess is largely -- if not ENTIRELY -- the fault of the British Empire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

FTFY

For some Americans this is true, especially the religious far right, but i'd wager the vast majority have no idea about any of that, and its basically Arabs are bad mmmm'kay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

For some Americans this is true, especially the religious far right, but i'd wager the vast majority have no idea about any of that, and its basically Arabs are bad mmmm'kay.

The religious right is an adamant supporter of the GOP and our warmongering tho. It's some of the GOPs most effective mouthpiece. How else do "good Christians" support the current administration, they're a wing of propaganda for religious extremists. They get Jesus in exchange for war. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Joestradamus - if you are really interested in learning more about this subject, I cannot recommend highly enough the podcast series Fear and Loathing in the New Jerusalem.  The episodes can be long, but I really can't think of a more accessible resource to develop at least some understanding of how/why things came to be the way they are.

 

At the conclusion of the series, you will probably:

- be angry at the Israelis, but have some sympathy/understanding of why they did what they did

- have a broken heart at the plight of the Palestinian people

- utterly despise the British

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SlipperySlope said:

The religious right is an adamant supporter of the GOP and our warmongering tho. It's some of the GOPs most effective mouthpiece. How else do "good Christians" support the current administration, they're a wing of propaganda for religious extremists. They get Jesus in exchange for war. 

Sure, but most have no idea or care about the second coming stuff, especially outside the GOP so it basically boils down to the easier thing to do here, which is racism, or even just cause "my side said they're bad, and these guys are good."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...