SaysWho?

~*Official 2020 Candidates Thread*~

10 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

fyi, your link is to WaPo's home website. :p 

Second night is definitely more stacked, though Beto/Booker/de Blasio are big names even if they aren't polling like Buttigieg/Biden/Sanders.

Odd, since I got it from the Times. 

I agree it's not completely a kids table, but I'm also not too worried about Warren standing out until the field narrows a bit.

5 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Odd, since I got it from the Times. 

So that's how WaPo is competing, eh? :thinking:

The Democratic National Committee and NBC News, the host of the first debates, announced the makeup of the debate stages for the June 26 and June 27 debates through a random selection in New York, where NBC News executives and producers drew names from a set of two boxes to determine the two groups — one dubbed "purple," the other "orange" — before deciding which group would debate first.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/rubycramer/first-democratic-2020-debates-lineup

The first night should have been Purple and Orange fighting to the death.

23 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

The gop house rep in charge of recruiting, especially women after getting hammered in 2018 has instead decided to call it quits lol. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/rep-susan-brooks-one-of-13-women-in-house-gop-decides-not-to-seek-reelection/2019/06/14/9e1f1e14-8eaa-11e9-8f69-a2795fca3343_story.html

7 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

The timing of those polls lines up with when the Sleepy Joe tweets started.

The best part is them claiming those are old numbers and his new numbers hes ahead, cause you know, hes done so much to turn it all around, lol.  I assume the numbers are equally as bad across the other 13 states done in the poll.

3 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

so florida is really +10 because they always fuck it up for everybody

Just now, Firewithin said:

so florida is really +10 because they always fuck it up for everybody

Or maybe Florida is just where the GOP is the most blatant about changing election results. 

3 minutes ago, johnny said:

forget the Proud Boys.........this just secured the goodest bois vote

10 minutes ago, SilentWorld said:

Is that your dog 

friend let us introduce you to a wholesome thread

Will be interesting to see if Warren is hurt or helped by being put in the kids table debate. 

I think there is a chance that she shines next to(mostly) lower tier candidates. But there's always a chance that one of them could decide they have nothing to lose and dive bomb her like Christie with Rubio-bot. Also a danger that less people might tune in to see her because the other debate will be seen as the main event.

The good thing about Warren is that I think she is both so competent and likable with a great message that I think she can cut through all that horse race bullshit if she just goes out there, lays out her plans and is just herself.

28 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Will be interesting to see if Warren is hurt or helped by being put in the kids table debate. 

I think there is a chance that she shines next to(mostly) lower tier candidates. But there's always a chance that one of them could decide they have nothing to lose and dive bomb her like Christie with Rubio-bot. Also a danger that less people might tune in to see her because the other debate will be seen as the main event.

The good thing about Warren is that I think she is both so competent and likable with a great message that I think she can cut through all that horse race bullshit if she just goes out there, lays out her plans and is just herself.

Eh, I think kids' table may be overplaying it. The 2016 GOP undercard was kids' table level, but the bold would be the bottom-tier in polling:

Night One: June 26
Cory Booker, senator from New Jersey

Julián Castro, former housing secretary

Bill de Blasio, mayor of New York

John Delaney, former representative from Maryland

Tulsi Gabbard, representative from Hawaii

Jay Inslee, governor of Washington

Amy Klobuchar, senator from Minnesota

Beto O’Rourke, former representative from Texas

Tim Ryan, representative from Ohio

Elizabeth Warren, senator from Massachusetts

Night Two: June 27
Michael Bennet, senator from Colorado

Joseph R. Biden Jr., former vice president

Pete Buttigieg, mayor of South Bend, Ind.

Kirsten Gillibrand, senator from New York

Kamala Harris, senator from California

John Hickenlooper, former governor of Colorado

Bernie Sanders, senator from Vermont

Eric Swalwell, representative from California

Marianne Williamson, self-help author

Andrew Yang, former tech executive

It's actually a pretty good split; it just probably could have used Harris or Biden or Buttigieg in exchange for Booker or Klobuchar. But even then, Beto was polling a lot better a couple months ago than, say, Buttigieg, so who knows what it would look like in a couple months.

@SFLUFAN what do you think of this?

Taxing income is an increasingly ineffective and inefficient way to generate revenue over time.  Take a company like Amazon—it can do tens of billions in business and pay no income tax in a given period while storing its income overseas.  A Value-Added Tax is much more efficient way to capture the true value of the American infrastructure and will be increasingly necessary over time as more and more work is done by software, robots and artificial intelligence. With a VAT of half the European level, we can pay for Universal Basic Income for all American adults of $1,000 per month.

https://www.yang2020.com/policies/value-added-tax/

UBI would work the best with gutting the welfare state and eliminating the minimum wage.  If you don't want to work, you wouldn't have to - those that choose to work would be rewarded with additional money via their job. 

I'm not opposed to VAT.  The problem is not how to pay for UBI, the problem is UBI itself as it is construed by Yang and the libertarian economists who advocate it.

2 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

I think they should get rid of income tax for people making under a certain amount.

An expansion of the Earned Income Tax Credit would also be very beneficial.