George H W Bush dead at 94

38 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

Nah, HW was better than W and better than Trump but he still created massive global instability and hurt Americans. The caravan is here because of policies and actions HW (and others) set in motion.

I'm not saying I think he was a good President or even a good man. It just seems to me an article could have shit on him last week and been just as true then as it would be a week from now. It seems pretty crass to spring it as soon as he died before he's even in the ground. It's opportunistic just for the clicks. 

Bush was president when I was in high school, during my peak stick-it-to-the-man phase and I remember him as the literal devil. It's funny that the following two GOP presidents make him seem like a saint in comparison.

It's like each Republican President is half as competent as the one before him. In 20 years, the GOP will probably elect a shock jock or youtube star or something.

Just now, CayceG said:

This is intriguing. 

Explain. 

A Bush administration would've paid more attention to/taken better care of the post-Soviet Russia than the malign neglect of the Clinton administration.  They wouldn't have allowed the events that led to the collapse of the Russian economy to occur which in turn would've removed the immediate reasons for the rise of someone like Putin.

7 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

A Bush administration would've paid more attention to/taken better care of the post-Soviet Russia than the malign neglect of the Clinton administration.  They wouldn't have allowed the events that led to the collapse of the Russian economy to occur which in turn would've removed the immediate reasons for the rise of someone like Putin.

Didn't all of the economic madness that Yeltsin oversaw happen in 1997? Even with a second term, Bush wouldn't have been around. 

6 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Didn't all of the economic madness that Yeltsin oversaw happen in 1997? Even with a second term, Bush wouldn't have been around. 

Presumably you don't get to that point with better management of the situation during a second GHWB term.

40 minutes ago, ort said:

Bush was president when I was in high school, during my peak stick-it-to-the-man phase and I remember him as the literal devil. It's funny that the following two GOP presidents make him seem like a saint in comparison.

It's like each Republican President is half as competent as the one before him. In 20 years, the GOP will probably elect a shock jock or youtube star or something.

Republicans are becoming worse and worse human beings. And the most recent two Republican Presidents are spoiled, rich kids that don't have to face real consequences, and seemed to manage failing up. 

8 hours ago, 2user1cup said:

Its a cheap shot given the passing of the man

Its not as if the American public will ever truly know or take ownership of the immigration problem being largely a result of things like "Operation Condor", The School of the Americas, and the various massacres and targeted murders up and down Central and South America that resulted from the fight against "Communism South of the Border"..

I think the general public would rather stay within the image of the US that is benevolent and on the side of righteousness 

I can't say I have much of an opinion on the matter either which way as I'm not informed enough but what is tiring are these corny, self-aggrandizing "gotcha" tweets from the cheap seats every time some public figure bites the dust. 

All I do know is that Donald Trump makes both Bush(es?) look like Mother Teresa and Einstein combined. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

So something good has come of his death: the national day of mourning on the 5th means I get a paid day off work "so all of our employees have the opportunity to observe this unifying day for our country."

(Yet election day doesn't give us the same time off...)

Republicans, make sure your vote isn't counted or you can't vote so we win, then praise us when we die! 

News coverage during these things always annoys me, like most news coverage does I guess. 

Have the camera aimed at the funeral home while people in the studio chat about him. WTF is the point of the camera feed? "Breaking news, dead President still dead. Patiently waiting for living people to see him" 

If you must spend all day talking about him at least use some stock footage of the person. Show some speeches they did. Clips of them "being a good person", interviews. Something other than the outside of a building. 

57 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

News coverage during these things always annoys me, like most news coverage does I guess. 

Have the camera aimed at the funeral home while people in the studio chat about him. WTF is the point of the camera feed? "Breaking news, dead President still dead. Patiently waiting for living people to see him" 

If you must spend all day talking about him at least use some stock footage of the person. Show some speeches they did. Clips of them "being a good person", interviews. Something other than the outside of a building. 

I can get behind this.

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Right on cue...

I think the Pod Save guys summed up the problem with HW.

While it is not solely their fault, what you see with the modern Republican party is that more and more the ugliness, deceit, and vitriol that HW and W ran their campaigns with has seeped into how Republicans govern.

Their shortcoming was in thinking that you could both court and stoke such negativity and ignorance during campaigns for decades and continue to "turn it off" when it's time to govern. Eventually, that's just who your base is.

Just now, Chairslinger said:

I think the Pod Save guys summed up the problem with HW.

While it is not solely their fault, what you see with the modern Republican party is that more and more the ugliness, deceit, and vitriol that HW and W ran their campaigns with has seeped into how Republicans govern.

Their shortcoming was in thinking that you could both court and stoke such negativity and ignorance during campaigns for decades and continue to "turn it off" when it's time to govern. Eventually, that's just who your base is.

Pod Save America guys are fucking morons. 

This began waaaaaay before HW. I'm sure it was in place before this, but Goldwater and Nixon are the biggest examples I can think of.

5 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

What’s wrong with the Pod Save guys?

It's Meet the Press, but they say "fuck" sometimes. 

I won't say it's full on middle of the road centrist garbage, but it's pretty establishment democrat. It's #Resistance grifting. It's The West Wing for the late 2010s. All this to say, it's to make the establishment democrats and non-republicans feel good about things, but not really move things in a progressive way. 

4 minutes ago, CayceG said:

It's Meet the Press, but they say "fuck" sometimes. 

I won't say it's full on middle of the road centrist garbage, but it's pretty establishment democrat. It's #Resistance grifting. It's The West Wing for the late 2010s. All this to say, it's to make the establishment democrats and non-republicans feel good about things, but not really move things in a progressive way. 

I don't mind them, but this is completely accurate. 

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

That Michelle Obama side-eye as to whether she's gonna actually bother shaking Trump's hand or not is epic. Obama is way too nice, as usual - love him and hate him for it. :p 

Also Hillary Clinton head nodding Melania but not acknowledging Donald - wonder if there is some "First Lady suffers husband's infidelity while in office" sisterhood there? :p 

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

That Michelle Obama side-eye as to whether she's gonna actually bother shaking Trump's hand or not is epic. Obama is way too nice, as usual - love him and hate him for it. :p 

He wasn't as nice as Carter. That damn smile, man. :p 

Hillary's nod cracked me up.

• Haha 2