George H W Bush dead at 94

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

So this nod, was it chin up or chin down? This is important.

Chin definitely went down (twice), and it was a double head nod of recognition and maybe some solidarity from what it looked like. It very much more came off like a nod of acknowledgement (perhaps even of respect) and much less snobby or elitist. Watch the video, it's short. :p 

18 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

These mother fuckers.

If there was a Catholic vs. Protestant religious war the MSM would post countless think pieces about how it is atheist's fault.

I get the idea that more secular governing doesn't necessarily coincide in exact proportion to the religiosity of the people we elect....but fuck. Donald Trump got over 80% of the Evangelical vote. The only thing that tipped a religious group away from Trump was basically if Trump was actively trying to oppress that religion and/or the race of that group.

Meanwhile, the religiously unaffiliated went against Trump more than any group except Jews. That includes groups such as Hispanic Catholics.

Fuck this article, and fuck anyone who tries to pretend religion isn't a big part of the problem here(let alone the fucking solution).

55 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Evangelicals don't recite the Nicene Creed :p

Um, I certainly remember going through that during my days in church and I was what you'd consider an evangelical. It's how I grew up. It's pretty widely known. 

You can even find information on it on Billy Graham's evangelical ministries website. 

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Um, I certainly remember going through that during my days in church and I was what you'd consider an evangelical. It's how I grew up. It's pretty widely known. 

You can even find information on it on Billy Graham's evangelical ministries website. 

Yeah, the Nicene Creed is not at all uncommon in evangelical services.

53 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

White Anglo-Saxon Protestant 

How are you not familiar with the term?

I don’t really see people say wasp that often on the internet, but I don’t read a ton of articles. I think the word is less common than you think. 

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I've heard it and read it all my life. It's quite common. I would especially expect one of the CEB regulars to know what it means.

All your life? I didn’t know what that was until college. We must read and watch different things haha 

6 minutes ago, johnny said:

All your life? I didn’t know what that was until college. We must read and watch different things haha 

I guess, lol. I've always been an avid reader, ever since my early childhood. It''s a pretty common term, used for quite some time. 

I might not be surprised if random Joe Redneck didn't know what it meant, but certainly the well-read people of the CEB not knowing shocks me.

4 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I guess, lol. I've always been an avid reader, ever since my early childhood. It''s a pretty common term, used for quite some time. 

I might not be surprised if random Joe Redneck didn't know what it meant, but certainly the well-read people of the CEB not knowing shocks me.

I somehow avoided hearing the term too much also, had no idea it was considered common. I had to verbalize it in my head to even connect it to its meaning. I can’t recall ever reading it here especially, but maybe it’s just thrown around casually every so often so easily missed.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

After he was made VP he also challenged the press to prove he once called Reaganomics, Voodoo economics and said he never said it, of course there was video of it cause he said it during a primary debate, then he just said he was joking, he was not of course, lol...

Genuinely shocked people here don't know the term WASP, or more importantly, that it is a somewhat derisive term (and rightly so used, at times). :p 

I can tell you at least the white people I know don't like being called WASP's, but they know what they are at the same time. WASP implies a lot culturally (culturally negatively, in my opinion) as well when the term is used, beyond its literal meaning of "White Anglo-Saxon Protestant".