Sources: Google Is Planning A Game Platform That Could Take On Xbox and PlayStation

Pikachu

I think it's only a matter of time before a streaming game service becomes a mainstream way to play games, but I'm not sure if we're actually there yet. Bandwidth has to hit a certain level and cloud computing costs have to be cheap enough. If there's someone with the right mix of expertise to make this work, it could well be Google. Still, even if they can make it work, I can imagine them having trouble getting developers on board.

I'm personally very much looking forward to someone getting his kind of service right. One of the best things about Netflix is that it works on every screen I own; desktop, laptop, TVs, tablet, phone. The Switch might be the only screen I have that doesn't have at least one way to watch Netflix. I'd love for games to be more like that. If I could get an upgraded Chromecast style dongle and play a game on my TV, PC, or through an app on any of my other devices, that could be a compelling value proposition.

There's even a something of an argument to be made for games that are already playable across devices. I often see complaints about how Hearthstone takes up so many GB of data on mobile devices. Just the storage savings might be enough for streaming to become a compelling option.