Daredevil has been cancelled

Yeah I can only hope that this does mean they're going to Hulu (going to Disney's would be better than nothing, but not ideal). DD was consistently good in all 3 seasons and still could have kept going. While IF and and LC make more sense to cancel, DD does not.

So here's to hoping.

9 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

I keep putting off watching the Marvel series on Netflix. I'll have to finally do it before they leave. It's not a problem if they go to Hulu, but like @CastlevaniaNut18 I have zero interest in signing up for another streaming service.

You have all the time you need.  Netflix is not losing these shows - they say that in the announcement.  They effectively own all the shows that they helped make and will always be streaming them.  They just aren't going to be making any more.  I would suspect that Disney will either have Season 4 of this Daredevil - OR... they may have a new Daredevil that they bring into the movie MCU.

I'm not super surprised. These shows are really all just spinning their wheels.

I've been slowly slogging through Iron Fist 2 for months. It's not terrible or anything, just not exactly must see compelling TV. I'll watch Daredevil when I get around to it. I'm too committed to this series now to abandon it, but at the same time the news of cancellation really doesn't bother me.

1 minute ago, ort said:

I'm not super surprised. These shows are really all just spinning their wheels.

I've been slowly slogging through Iron Fist 2 for months. It's not terrible or anything, just not exactly must see compelling TV. I'll watch Daredevil when I get around to it. I'm too committed to this series now to abandon it, but at the same time the news of cancellation really doesn't bother me.

You haven't seen ANY Daredevil? Season 1 in particular is so much better than Iron Fist, you started with the worst one. 

No, I mean, I'll watch season 3 when I get to it.

I've seen the whole Netflix Marvel run. I watch them in release order... but usually a few months after they come out.

When I say I'm "committed to the series" I mean that in reference to all of the shows as one series, which they kinda are.

I just finished season 3 of DD and I won't be terribly sad if this is the end. Pretty much all of these Marvel shows on Netflix should have been 30min long or had half the number of episodes. They all suffer from far too much wasted time. Daredevil was the most consistent of the bunch, even if Jessica Jones S1 was probably the best individual season. I've watched most of them, but I'm pretty burnt out, and I think it's largely because they're all so darn similar. They all have the same color palette, most of the same internal conflicts, and they're often fighting the same villains across multiple seasons.

I wish they had taken the MCU route and made the latter seasons of these shows team ups like Civil War and Ragnarok. I wasn't a fan of Iron Fist, but I thought his dynamic with Luke Cage in Defenders was pretty fun. Make 6 hours of TV with the both of them and maybe it becomes more exciting than either would be alone. For whatever it's failings, Agents of Shield has consistently found ways to re-invent itself season after season. If these Netflix shows can't find some way of doing that, it's probably best they get canned.

13 hours ago, Dre801 said:

I thought Netflix had a long standing license to  run these particular shows/characters and this isn't about them being killed just to be moved to Disney+?

They do, the fourth season had been pitched to Netflix and they declined. Viewership is down, I think this just case of Netflix moving on.

They pushed these all out too fast. They all felt too similar and they are all overly bloated.

If they took the full budget and used it to put out a tight 6 episode run for each of these stories, and spaced them out a little more, they probably could have kept this gravy train running a little longer.

1 hour ago, SimpleG said:

They do, the fourth season had been pitched to Netflix and they declined. Viewership is down, I think this just case of Netflix moving on.

But it also seems likely that they were coming up on Disney having some kind of option to pull back the license for the shows, and Netflix deciding that they didn't want to pay money to make content for Disney now that it's pretty clear Disney is most likely not going to want to renew the license when renewal comes up.

2 hours ago, SimpleG said:

It is a case of Netflix moving on  - but not primary because of viewership.

Disney is set to become a competitor in 2019.  With the cache of existing moves and television that Disney holds the rights to they will be a big time competitor.  Also Disney is dumping huge amounts of cash into creating their own new content.  The IP for daredevil (including this show) is owned by Disney, so Disney can continue this series if they choose to (However Netflix is retaining streaming rights to the content already created by them).  

Netflix wants to create their own content that they control.  That was why they started making these shows in the first place, but now that Disney is a competitor they are no longer interested.  You will see the new Jessica Jones and Punisher series since they are both basically done - then those will get canned too.

It's almost certainly going to Disney's Competing service

A statement this morning from the home of The Avengers and Spider-man used similar language to what the streamer signed off with to indicate that Hell’s Kitchen’s blind protector isn’t done yet on the small or even big screen. “We look forward to more adventures with the Man without Fear in the future,” the Disney-owned comic giant said Friday.

That’s a lot like “While the series on Netflix has ended, the three existing seasons will remain on the service for years to come, while the Daredevil character will live on in future projects for Marvel,” which the streamer said Thursday when it announced Season 3 would be its last for Netflix.