American life expectancy declines for third year in a row with surge in suicides and ODs

Making America Dead Again #MADA

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) found nearly 70,000 more Americans died in 2017 than 2016, with rising rates of death among 25- to 44-year-olds.  Thursday's reports revealed synthetic opioid-related overdose death rates rose by 45% on average, nationwide.  The suicide rate is also the highest it has been in decades

This has been hitting my circles in the past three years. It's really startling how many cases of OD's and drug-related deaths have occurred around my friends' lives and some in my own. It's almost the exception at this point to meet someone my age that kind of has their shit together. It's truly a tragic waste. 

46 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

So if I were born in 1984, does that mean my.life expectancy is around 76, or is it 82?

That information cannot be derived from the graph as it doesn't relate to your life expectancy right now, only the life expectancy of a newborn infant in that particular year.

Life expectancy at birth indicates the number of years a newborn infant would live if prevailing patterns of mortality at the time of its birth were to stay the same throughout its life

12 minutes ago, Jose said:

We should work on further reducing road deaths. One of the big reasons why we have such a low life expctancy.

Approximately 35-40k people die in car accidents in the US. Last year it was about 37k. On a per VMT rate, it's a pretty flat rate over the past decade.

70k died of drug overdose last year alone, up from 63k in 2016 which in turn is up from 52k in 2015. Drug OD deaths have more than tripled since 1999 and mostly due to opioids

22 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Approximately 35-40k people die in car accidents in the US. Last year it was about 37k. On a per VMT rate, it's a pretty flat rate over the past decade.

70k died of drug overdose last year alone, up from 63k in 2016 which in turn is up from 52k in 2015. Drug OD deaths have more than tripled since 1999 and mostly due to opioids

Yeah but road deaths affect all people, and drug overdoses only affect those who deserve it*

*opinion of many people