Fearing espionage, Trump administration considers new background checks on Chinese students.

Nokra

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-china-students-exclusive/exclusive-fearing-espionage-u-s-weighs-tighter-rules-on-chinese-students-idUSKCN1NY1HE

In June, the U.S. State Department shortened the length of visas for Chinese graduate students studying aviation, robotics and advanced manufacturing to one year from five. U.S. officials said the goal was to curb the risk of spying and theft of intellectual property in areas vital to national security.

But now the Trump administration is weighing whether to subject Chinese students to additional vetting before they attend a U.S. school. The ideas under consideration, previously unreported, include checks of student phone records and scouring of personal accounts on Chinese and U.S. social media platforms for anything that might raise concerns about students’ intentions in the United States, including affiliations with government organizations, a U.S. official and three congressional and university sources told Reuters.

U.S. law enforcement is also expected to provide training to academic officials on how to detect spying and cyber theft that it provides to people in government, a senior U.S. official said.

4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yeah...I don't want to generalize, but it's probably not smart to involve Chinese students in your high-tech proprietary research projects due to the amount of spying going on.

Universities want that out of state tuition though.

Properly funding higher education (and not continually adding unfunded mandates) would help in this regard but lol at that happening.

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Universities want that out of state tuition though.

Properly funding higher education (and not continually adding unfunded mandates) would help in this regard but lol at that happening.

The tech college where I live has decided to quadruple the amount of Indian and Chinese students in the next two years, and has increased their tuition from resident tuition x2 to resident tuition x3. They do not plan to increase seats, however...which means that local applicants will be denied in favour of international ones that they can milk.

On 11/29/2018 at 11:00 AM, SFLUFAN said:

This should probably have been done a while ago.

On 11/29/2018 at 11:16 AM, CitizenVectron said:

Yeah...I don't want to generalize, but it's probably not smart to involve Chinese students in your high-tech proprietary research projects due to the amount of spying going on.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/30/tech/samsung-china-tech-theft/index.html

I've been playing a game where every time I see a political thread pop up, I bet on whether D1P will be anti or pro seeing how I never seem to have a clue either way. 

My success rate has been hit or miss but this was definitely the worst one so far. I thought I had a sure-fire hate thread on my hands due to the mixture of "Trump" and "Fearing espionage" in the title. Alas, I return to my cave and await the next round of gambling.  

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, legend said:

Huh? How does this help national security? Scientists at universities publish everything they do. It's how they advance. There's nothing to steal.

From firsthand experience with science, I'm gonna say there's a difference between "here's what we did" and firsthand experience with precisely what was done.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

From firsthand experience with science, I'm gonna say there's a difference between "here's what we did" and firsthand experience with precisely what was done.

None of that is secrets. The extent to which papers don't cover something is the extent to which the publishing system is limited (page limits,  the difficulty in sharing some forms of data, and just plain poor writing skills). There's also plenty of efforts to modernize the publishing system to make things even more transparent.