~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

1 hour ago, SimpleG said:

Nightmare On Elm Street 3 - Dream Warriors

My favorite of the series. From the exploding room with the Freddy Worm to the iconic "welcome to primetime bitch" line makes for a fun little romp. Soundtrack is full on 80's 

That's my favorite of the series as well. Part 1 and 3 are my favorites. 

spacer.png

Squid Game: 8/10 - What would happen if you mixed The Hunger Games with Saw (sort of)? Well, you get Squid Game. I think the important part about this show is that it borrows just enough ideas that it feels like an original idea rather than a derivative work. The show is mainly focused on Seong Gi-hun, a kind of down and out dude living with his ailing mother and is in incredible debt and is offered a chance to play a game that could make his debts a thing of the past. So he accepts and soon finds him playing the game with 400 other people, but perhaps the game is a bit more extreme than what they had in mind.

One has to question how this show blew up in such a big way. I think most of the appeal comes from the idea of the games themselves and the intensity of the suspense the show provides. I'd also say that most of the characters have some sort of appeal and are developed so well that you can't help see them through this journey. But if you are averse to to graphic violence I would say this is probably not the show for you.

Overall I liked it, obviously, but I kind of share the sentiment it kind of lost a bit of steam towards the end. Although I think that is kind of partially from the descent of the adrenaline rush that was the majority of the episodes and well this isn't quite a spoiler but:

Spoiler

Perhaps the show has become deeper / morphed into something else by the end.

But with that in mind, I think it's something to be excited about. The writing was strong and it's a Korean show so I can have faith if the show comes back that it shouldn't be too disappointing.

[This was my @Greatoneshere approved review. Please like and subscribe if you enjoyed]

Midnight Mass 8/10. Flanagan has another hit. I can’t get this one off my mind since I finished it last night. Probably his bleakest ending that I’ve seen so far. 

The Valhalla Murders 8/10. Another good Nordic Noir thriller. Pretty sure I’ve found a new genre to dive into. Jesus, Netflix has quite a few of these. I’m stocked for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 1

The Last Kingdom - 6/10

It's a fun romp. Blood, guts, glory, etc. The cinematography is fucking amazing. Some of the battle scenes are really good, some are chopped to shit. The series actually got better once it became produced by Netflix, which is weird. Accents are all over the place. The time jumps and actor changes (or lack thereof) can be really jarring

I don't know, if you're looking for something pulpy and bloody with swords, it's worth passing the time. There is going to be a fifth and final season coming out probably some time early-ish next year.

19 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

The Last Kingdom - 6/10

It's a fun romp. Blood, guts, glory, etc. The cinematography is fucking amazing. Some of the battle scenes are really good, some are chopped to shit. The series actually got better once it became produced by Netflix, which is weird. Accents are all over the place. The time jumps and actor changes (or lack thereof) can be really jarring

I don't know, if you're looking for something pulpy and bloody with swords, it's worth passing the time. There is going to be a fifth and final season coming out probably some time early-ish next year.

This review is 4 points to low and thus must discarded as trash. I’m sorry it’s nothing personnel, just the rules. @Emblazon knows what I’m talking about.

• Haha 1
  • True 1

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Agreed. The Last Kingdom is magnificent. The slave ship stuff was next level in terms of drama.

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

The Last Kingdom is one of my favorite shows of all time. The books are fantastic, too. 

It had some high highs, for sure, the slave ship being one of them. Or just Finan in general, the show went up in quality once he was in it.

It definitely made me want to start reading the books.

Just now, TheLeon said:

I've been meaning to give The Last Kingdom another shot. I watched maybe 4 episodes, and it never grabbed me. I don't remember exactly why. Do they do several huge time jumps in the first couple episodes alone? I think that's part of what threw me off. 

It also took me 2 or 3 tries to really get into it. And yeah, the first episode has a time jump of something like 6 or 8 years, then every few episodes from then on will have time jumps of a few months to a few years.

That's another thing - the time span covered by the show is something like 30 years from when we get big boy Uhtred in the first episode. It is a little distracting when like Aelfric still looks the same in season 4 when he should be like at least 60 years old by then, or how Beocca should be like 90 by season 4.

The payoff of the Uhtrer/Alfred arc is the single best thing in TV ever. I’ll fight people over this. 

Also yeah def read them and everything else Cromwell has written. There is no better “battle author” out there. Every book I continue to be amazed at the picture he paints when describing battles and fight sequences. 

For the love of god someone adapt Warlord Chronicles!!!!

19 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

The payoff of the Uhtrer/Alfred arc is the single best thing in TV ever. I’ll fight people over this. 

Also yeah def read them and everything else Cromwell has written. There is no better “battle author” out there. Every book I continue to be amazed at the picture he paints when describing battles and fight sequences. 

For the love of god someone adapt Warlord Chronicles!!!!

I'm sad we aren't getting all The Last Kingdom books adapted. So close. 

6 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm sad we aren't getting all The Last Kingdom books adapted. So close. 

It says on wiki that they've adapted 8 of the 13 books. I'm assuming they'll probably try to squeeze the entire last five in the last season?

Alexander Dreymon directed two of the episodes in the last season, so those should be interesting.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

It says on wiki that they've adapted 8 of the 13 books. I'm assuming they'll probably try to squeeze the entire last five in the last season?

Alexander Dreymon directed two of the episodes in the last season, so those should be interesting.

It's usually two books per season, they are doing books 9 and 10 for the final season.

I haven’t read the books but I think someone said the last few books take place after another time jump and are mostly about Uhtred’s kids. And that the end of book 10 has a logical stopping point for the series. I can’t remember where I heard that though so I could be wrong. 

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

I haven’t read the books but I think someone said the last few books take place after another time jump and are mostly about Uhtred’s kids. And that the end of book 10 has a logical stopping point for the series. I can’t remember where I heard that though so I could be wrong. 

I've heard the same but I'd still have liked to see the whole series adapted. Same with The Expanse.

Cold Mountain - 7/10

It's a bit plodding at times, and I think it kind of falls apart at the end, but it's still in many ways one of the best Civil War movies ever made, in my opinion. Of course they made the choice to have the characters all be from western North Carolina so they could have all the characters have legitimate reasons for "fighting the rich man's war," which is a dangerous myth that gets perpetuated all the time, but I think the movie tiptoes around the issue as well as it can. It says a lot that damn near all Civil War movies perpetuate the lost cause myth in some way or another, and Cold Mountain threads a needle. The supporting cast all steal the show, as Kidman/Law are basically blank slates.

spacer.png

Hereditary: 7/10 - I have somewhat mixed reactions to this movie. After watching it, I found it interesting how everyone was praising Ari Aster as some movie genius when this was his debut film. The movie is certainly strange at the beginning. Annie making miniatures of her own life is odd on it's own. But then there's a point of the movie where it escalates quite quickly into weird territory. Some things I thought were fitting to the movie and others just seemed a bit too over the top. It's certainly well shot and well acted. Toni Collette is good and the portrayal of anguish is quite remarkable but some pieces didn't work for me. I didn't think it was particularly terrifying either, just a movie of oddities. I'd also like to watch some things back, the movie commits the sin of having lots of text on screen and you have to be a speed reader to read and comprehend the writing.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

spacer.png

Hereditary: 7/10 - I have somewhat mixed reactions to this movie. After watching it, I found it interesting how everyone was praising Ari Aster as some movie genius when this was his debut film. The movie is certainly strange at the beginning. Annie making miniatures of her own life is odd on it's own. But then there's a point of the movie where it escalates quite quickly into weird territory. Some things I thought were fitting to the movie and others just seemed a bit too over the top. It's certainly well shot and well acted. Toni Collette is good and the portrayal of anguish is quite remarkable but some pieces didn't work for me. I didn't think it was particularly terrifying either, just a movie of oddities. I'd also like to watch some things back, the movie commits the sin of having lots of text on screen and you have to be a speed reader to read and comprehend the writing.

I agree with a lot of your thoughts on this but honestly i think its 6/10 and its really carried by Collettes acting skills . 

• True 1

I accidentally did a Mel Gibson double feature

Fatman

Weird movie but that was expected based on the trailer. It wasn't bad but it wasn't good either.

6/10

Boss Level

Action was fine but due to the Groundhog Day nature of the film it had no stakes.

5/10

spacer.png

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0: 8/10 - This is another show co-produced by bones, supposedly based on a simulation of what would happen if an 8.0 magnitude earthquake hit Tokyo. As a result the show is actually quite grounded. You won't see big boobed anime girls who squirt milk out of their tits in this one. It centers around a brother and sister who travel on their own to an exhibit when they are caught in the quake, and after is the journey to make it back home to to reunite with their parents. As I said it's pretty grounded so you wont actually see sensationalist type stuff in this related to the earthquake like something you'd see from a Roland Emmerich type of movie, so it's mostly low stakes emotionally as people actually work together to help each other. However, a lot of the emotion comes from uncertainty. Will the kids make it and even if they get there will their parents be alive by the time they do? Overall, I think things come together here quite nicely. It's only 11 episodes so the story is pretty focused. Worth taking a look for people who are fans and aren't fans of anime.

Lower Decks season 2

Similar pattern to first season, first half is meh at best with a stronger back half. The show works best when it is doing a plot that feels like it could be an actual episode of one of the main series and then throws some humor on it like the last episode instead of doing a whacky plot with a Trek skin.

6.5/10