~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

First Cow

I went into this knowing nothing other than it was highly rated. First thing I see it is an A24 film, ut-oh, then it is in 4:3 aspect ratio UT-OH. So at this point I am fully prepared for the movie to be weird for weirds-sake and up its own ass. Thankfully it wasn't. A straightforward tale set in the early 1800s, honestly it felt like it could have been an adapted play.

8/10

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Tekkonkinkreet: 7/10 - Interesting animation style, kind of mixes 3d with a kind of ugly anime look. But hey, Plaid did the soundtrack. The movie is kinda depressing though, mainly because it's about homeless kids and then some dude wanting to kill those homeless kids.

Great film, I love how surreal and strange it is, particularly for an anime. It's also the rare time a foreigner (in this case, a white guy) directed the film, Michael Arias, who was a big fan of the original manga it's based on. 7/10 seems kind of low, but it's an older movie now (I have it on bluray, great transfer) so maybe 7/10 makes more sense.

8 hours ago, elbobo said:

First Cow

I went into this knowing nothing other than it was highly rated. First thing I see it is an A24 film, ut-oh, then it is in 4:3 aspect ratio UT-OH. So at this point I am fully prepared for the movie to be weird for weirds-sake and up its own ass. Thankfully it wasn't. A straightforward tale set in the early 1800s, honestly it felt like it could have been an adapted play.

8/10

Writer/director Kelly Reichardt is a great filmmaker.

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Great film, I love how surreal and strange it is, particularly for an anime. It's also the rare time a foreigner (in this case, a white guy) directed the film, Michael Arias, who was a big fan of the original manga it's based on. 7/10 seems kind of low, but it's an older movie now (I have it on bluray, great transfer) so maybe 7/10 makes more sense.

I thought it was strange too but looked him up and seems he speaks Japanese fluently, lives in Japan and has directed a lot of Japanese movies since. So he gets a :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I thought it was strange too but looked him up and seems he speaks Japanese fluently, lives in Japan and has directed a lot of Japanese movies since. So he gets a :thumbup:

Fuck yeah, rare moment where a white guy honestly deserves genuine credit. In that industry, to rise to that level must have been Herculean.

• Thanks 1

Cursed - Could Not Finish/10

I gave it a go but I just can’t keep going. There’s a couple interesting characters, Merlin for example. But what a garbage take on Arthurian legend. Just have the balls to give the characters an original name instead of adding already established names to get cheap views. Fuck this show. 

spacer.png

Welcome to Waikiki: 9/10 - This is romantic comedy of sorts but it feels like a comedy above all. I thought the humor was very similar to that of Seinfeld, that sort of ironic humor where a situation will come back on a character (perhaps @SaysWho? could enjoy this with his GIRLFRIEND:thinking:) In any case, none of you care what I say about any of these shows but this one was really funny, even "lol" funny.

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

spacer.png

Welcome to Waikiki: 9/10 - This is romantic comedy of sorts but it feels like a comedy above all. I thought the humor was very similar to that of Seinfeld, that sort of ironic humor where a situation will come back on a character (perhaps @SaysWho? could enjoy this with his GIRLFRIEND:thinking:) In any case, none of you care what I say about any of these shows but this one was really funny, even "lol" funny.

It's true, I watch some of the top rated Korean dramas but otherwise K-shows don't interest me, but I do always read your reviews!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Well, you certainly rated it high enough. :p 

I generally like a lot of these Korean shows because they usually have a premise I've never seen before or bring some really cool ideas to the table and this one was pretty funny even if you could see some of the jokes coming. :p

JUMANJI: THE NEXT LEVEL 4K 3/5

It had its moments like their first outing, but it drags a bit. It was fun to see some actors playing/switching roles throughout the movie. Jack Black in particular does a great job in this department, and can tell he was having fun doing so. The 4K disc looked great on my JVC projector, but the DTS:X track could of been slightly better. Really wish they had gone Atmos instead because I find it does a much better job then the DTS:X track with the discrete overhead effects. They’re present but nothing like the first movies Atmos track where they all clearly were respawning from above. Plus the bonus credit scene leaves it clearly open for a 3rd (or would that be 4th) movie to the series. Might be worth checking out for some, and is on Prime right now (at least in Canada) 

On 8/29/2020 at 8:31 AM, Dre801 said:

True Lies.  I still enjoy this film.  It's crazy that this film and The Abyss still don't have proper Blu Ray releases.  I mean, WTF?

True Lies is a weird one to go back to. A straight hour of that movie is Arnold gaslighting Jamie Curtis to the point where she thinks she's about to fuck some dude, but it's her husband and because we know that it's supposed to be romantic and not horrifying? Then Arnold breaks like 5 necks in 90 seconds and kills the bad guy while he's literally strapped to a missile which are both awesome.

On 8/26/2020 at 5:52 PM, TheLeon said:

What I did during this viewing was simply not worry about the science. Crucially, I paid attention to all of the jargon-laden exposition, but didn't stop to think "wait, is that how gravity/time/wormholes/black holes actually work? Does any of this make any sense?" I accepted whatever they said as truth and just rolled with it. When I did that, I was kind of amazed at how much (almost) everything tracked according to the rules they set up. 

And when I stopped worrying about that, I was able to focus more on the artistry and emotion on display, and it was almost overwhelming. That black hole climax was no longer a confusing jumble of sci-fi BS, but a visually stunning combination of the two strongest forces we know: love and gravity. 

season 3 episode 10 GIF

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

True Lies is a weird one to go back to. A straight hour of that movie is Arnold gaslighting Jamie Curtis to the point where she thinks she's about to fuck some dude, but it's her husband and because we know that it's supposed to be romantic and not horrifying? Then Arnold breaks like 5 necks in 90 seconds and kills the bad guy while he's literally strapped to a missile which are both awesome.

And Eliza Dushku

spacer.png

The Midnight Meat Train: 6/10 - If you're in it for gore and nothing more then this might be the movie for you. Although some of the gore is just so silly that it's funny (and some so fake it's CG). I thought it was stylishly shot but about halfway through the movie is when things stop making sense. Also, I thought the "twist" at the end would have made a more interesting movie.

Watched Die Hard 2 last night for the first time. Definitely more over the top that the first. It was fun, though. Even if the plot about letting planes circle until they ran out of fuel was complete nonsense. And the plane crashing wouldn't have exploded like that since it was fuel starved. And as impressive as that 747 explosion at the end was, jet fuel does not burn that easily. And LOL @ the porcelain Glock 7 that gets through metal detectors and is super expensive. I had to remember when this movie was made. 

I need to turn my brain off for these movies.

Vast of the Night

95% of this movie is the ultimate tell and don't show style of film making, including some absolutely excellent voice acting by a radio call in. There is also a very impressive oner, these are so easy to fake nowadays but I think this one was legit.

8/10 

4 hours ago, elbobo said:

Vast of the Night

95% of this movie is the ultimate tell and don't show style of film making, including some absolutely excellent voice acting by a radio call in. There is also a very impressive oner, these are so easy to fake nowadays but I think this one was legit.

8/10 

Unfortunately its not, its very well done though

THE LEGO MOVIE: PART 2 3D 3.5/5

I remember me and my buddy going to the theatre to watch this. I thought it so-so then but it’s much better the 2nd time around. Also we had a couple of bong hits of a strain called LSD and boy them colours looked pretty. Some jokes I missed the first time I caught this time, including a 3rd Bruce Willis moment. Also found the 3D was so much better at home then it was in theatres. Plus the audio wasn’t too bad either, with the subwoofer getting a nice workout throughout. Just wish the 3D disc got the same Atmos treatment that all the other release options got. We use to Atmos on the 3D all the and then they decided to fuck us in that department. At least the Neural X added some nice overhead sound to the presentation. So a good movie but even better high

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

Vampire Effect (or Twins Effect in China):  8/10 - A pretty fun movie. What if you mixed vampires and a kung-fu movie with a little bit of Twilight? You'd get girls kicking vampire butt that's what! Pretty good stunts / action pieces mixed in with some other silly stuff. Keep your eyes peeled because you might spot Jackie Chan!

Also, for lazy people like @EternallDarkness there is an English dub that ranges from OK to bad (from the brief time I sampled it before turning it back to Chinese) There are European vampires that speak only English though so you might be ok!

On 9/20/2020 at 2:18 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

spacer.png

Vampire Effect (or Twins Effect in China):  8/10 - A pretty fun movie. What if you mixed vampires and a kung-fu movie with a little bit of Twilight? You'd get girls kicking vampire butt that's what! Pretty good stunts / action pieces mixed in with some other silly stuff. Keep your eyes peeled because you might spot Jackie Chan!

Also, for lazy people like @EternallDarkness there is an English dub that ranges from OK to bad (from the brief time I sampled it before turning it back to Chinese) There are European vampires that speak only English though so you might be ok!

I don't mind subtitled flicks, but when it comes to action/fast paced movies I prefer dubbed so I can pay attention to the action.

Challenger: The Final Flight 

4 episode docuseries on Netflix. Really informative and well done. Heartbreaking, especially when it focuses on the teacher, Krista McAuliffe. It happened a year before I was born, but it’s one of those events that those who were alive to witness it never forgot. The incompetence is infuriating.