~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

14 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

The Hustle Utter crap/10  I went in with low expectations...and perhaps even that was too much to hope for. Yet another lets take a movie that originally starred men and just replace them with women. Could have worked well if any real effort was made, but I actually thought it was an insult to Dirty Rotten. Shame. 

I recommend Hustlers with Jennifer Lopez and Constance Wu instead. Great movie and it's not a case of a remake where women are just replacing men in the cast. It's an original film very loosely based on a true story. If not that I recommend Steven McQueen's Widows as well (he did Hunger, Shame and 12 Years A Slave), which I stil find highly underrated.

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I recommend Hustlers with Jennifer Lopez and Constance Wu instead. Great movie and it's not a case of a remake where women are just replacing men in the cast. It's an original film very loosely based on a true story. If not that I recommend Steven McQueen's Widows as well (he did Hunger, Shame and 12 Years A Slave), which I stil find highly underrated.

I'll have to check it out at some point. I just remember thinking the preview looked mildly amusing when I saw it at the theaters and since I'm a huge Dirty Rotten fan when I saw it on Prime I figured I'd give it a chance. 

spacer.png

Chappie: 8/10 - So this was one of the last few movies I went to go see at a theater, and probably the last one I saw in theaters before my dad died. However, I DIDN'T see it because it was nearly sold out and the only seats available were up front, so we got our money back and never saw it. I was also under the impression the movie wasn't very good but I enjoyed it quite much. This seems like @legend's wet dream. I liked how it was basically about Chappie or at least bringing him up. Some laughs are had, some sads are had, there's a guy who looks like South African Riff Raff. What's to not like?

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

spacer.png

Chappie: 8/10 - So this was one of the last few movies I went to go see at a theater, and probably the last one I saw in theaters before my dad died. However, I DIDN'T see it because it was nearly sold out and the only seats available were up front, so we got our money back and never saw it. I was also under the impression the movie wasn't very good but I enjoyed it quite much. This seems like @legend's wet dream. I liked how it was basically about Chappie or at least bringing him up. Some laughs are had, some sads are had, there's a guy who looks like South African Riff Raff. What's to not like?

Actually I don't think I would like it. Their portrayal of AI and AI development looked so laughably bad, I don't think I could get through it.

If everything is tongue-in-cheek, that might be okay (I similarly don't fault comic movies for bad science because it's so clear it's just fantasy), but the trailers made it look like they were trying to be semi serious.

40 minutes ago, legend said:

Actually I don't think I would like it. Their portrayal of AI and AI development looked so laughably bad, I don't think I could get through it.

If everything is tongue-in-cheek, that might be okay (I similarly don't fault comic movies for bad science because it's so clear it's just fantasy), but the trailers made it look like they were trying to be semi serious.

Well here's what I'll say to you @legend

Whatever the portrayal of AI development you're talking about isn't really portrayed. One guy is in charge of the AI and he basically creates an AI (like the advanced one) for one robot. Unless you are referring to the AI learning specifically.

I'm going to lean to the more tongue-in-cheek vibe because a lot of it isn't super serious. I mean, think of it as a gritty Short Circuit or something, where Johnny 5 learns from a bunch of thugs. :p

I mean there are serious moments but those are meant more emotionally than scientifically.

16 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I liked Hustlers and loved Widows. I’m disappointed that it wasn’t a bigger hit. 

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

spacer.png

I too enjoyed the movie. It was like an adult version of Short Circuit between the violence and language portrayed in the film. Is it an amazing movie, no, but it sure was entertaining. Plus if you have the proper sound system, it also gave it a thorough workout too. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Well here's what I'll say to you @legend

Whatever the portrayal of AI development you're talking about isn't really portrayed.  One guy is in charge of the AI and he basically creates an AI (like the advanced one) for one robot.

It's already wrong!

• Guillotine 1

I'm re-watching Line of Duty. It's such a fantastic series and generally hits highs throughout the 4 seasons. It follows my favourite model of television, short seasons (6-8 episodes), where each episode only last 45 minutes (bar the season finale). It really helps with pacing and keeping everything chugging along. 

spacer.png

The Swiss Conspiracy: 6/10 - I originally watched this in memory of John Saxon but also maybe because it had something to do with Switzerland. In any case it's uh ok I suppose. It's one of those mysteries where you can expect to be tricked at the end at the last minute because somehow the "consultant" put 2 and 2 together at the last moment. A lot of things don't make sense here like David Janssen and Senta Berger speeding up a mountain, him almost driving off a cliff and then we cut to a post coital scene. Huh? :confused: At least it was under an hour and a half so for a short duration I can get some joy out of watching it. Gotta love that swanky '70s soundtrack.

Night Of the Living Dead 1990 Remake

George Romero redid the screen play for this film with Tom Savini at the helm. This was made partially because Romero never saw any profits off the original film .

This version drops the racial issues of the original and replaces it with more of a gender backdrop. Patricia Tallman plays Barbra who starts off much like the original as a screaming blubbering mess but soon becomes the most  capable survivor in the house. Tony Todd plays Ben and Ill be honest I like his version much more then Duane Jones version. Partially because Tony is damn fine actor and partially because his version is full of so much machismo . The one thing this films really fails on is the claustrophobic feel of the original.

8/10

spacer.png

Night of the Sharks: 3/10 - Really I shouldn't be rating this because I started half of it like 3 years ago and decided tonight I should finish watching it. But I remember it being not great and it's not.

The good thing about it: Treat Williams

The bad thing: Everything else. In any case Sharks have very little to do with the movie. It's more like a drug war kind of movie and if someone falls in the water then a shark happens to eat them.

12 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

It adds 23 minutes to the runtime and is director Ari Aster's preferred or director's cut of the film. It's better and more filled out so makes more sense - but is longer.

When are you going to comment on my past reviews? I've been very interested to see your insight on what I thought!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

When are you going to comment on my past reviews? I've been very interested to see your insight on what I thought!

I find discussing things anywhere in life (real life or not), message boards included, are a complete waste of time, so I'm resigned to becoming more and more of a lurker. As time goes on, in-depth discussions of real movies is long gone, it's quite clear, compared to when I started frequenting message boards 20 years ago when I was 14. I feel bad these days that I wasted so much of my time these past 20 years writing lengthy posts few read that are long lost to history now. I just have nothing to say anymore (or I try to hold myself back these days) because it has almost never benefited me. I wonder why I did it this long.

I like Midsommar a lot, as weird as it was. That's the most that's probably worth saying. :p 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I find discussing things anywhere in life (real life or not), message boards included, are a complete waste of time, so I'm resigned to becoming more and more of a lurker. As time goes on, in-depth discussions of real movies is long gone, it's quite clear, compared to when I started frequenting message boards 20 years ago when I was 14. I feel bad these days that I wasted so much of my time these past 20 years writing lengthy posts few read that are long lost to history now. I just have nothing to say anymore (or I try to hold myself back these days) because it has almost never benefited me. I wonder why I did it this long.

But I hold your opinion in high regard so it benefits me!

We've started to go through some movies in the HBO Max catalog that I've never gotten around to.

Talented Mr. Ripley certainly has a stacked cast. It felt even longer than it's 2hr 20min runtime, but it manages to fill it all rather well.

Bound certainly feels like a first movie in the beginning. It's rough around the edges and the performances are a bit much. Still, the Wachowskis always knew where to place a camera, and when the tension ratchets up, they seem to find a good rhythm. 

On 8/1/2020 at 12:54 PM, SimpleG said:

Night Of the Living Dead 1990 Remake

George Romero redid the screen play for this film with Tom Savini at the helm. This was made partially because Romero never saw any profits off the original film .

This version drops the racial issues of the original and replaces it with more of a gender backdrop. Patricia Tallman plays Barbra who starts off much like the original as a screaming blubbering mess but soon becomes the most  capable survivor in the house. Tony Todd plays Ben and Ill be honest I like his version much more then Duane Jones version. Partially because Tony is damn fine actor and partially because his version is full of so much machismo . The one thing this films really fails on is the claustrophobic feel of the original.

8/10

I actually also quite like this version. Back in the day, this was the only one I had on VHS so I watched it over and over again and am actually more familiar with it than the original. Like you said, it lacks the claustrophobia and grittiness, especially the ultra-grim ending of the original, but I still think it's a really cool movie. Doesn't Bill Moseley have a little cameo as her brother?? I haven't seen this in at least 20 years. 

On 8/1/2020 at 3:52 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

spacer.png

Annihilation: 7/10 - I thought this was a good example of a great idea bogged down by stupid human characters. I mean I can give them the benefit of the doubt later in the movie because their brains are getting fried but I dunno just a lot of odd human decisions.

This was one of those movies that had all the right ingredients, some great scenes and everything and it just somehow never came together as anything more than lukewarm for me. I wanted to like it more the entire time and while it was an enjoyable watch, it frustrated me because it consistently felt like it could've been amazing. 

• Thanks 1

Eurovision Song Contest: 8/10

I did not expect to get emotional over a Will Ferrell movie, but here we are in 2020, and dammit, I needed it. The movie drags in some parts and the comedy is a bit hit and miss, but Rachel McAdams is fantastic and the supporting cast is strong. The music carries the movie and is overall excellent.

JAJA DING DONG

9 hours ago, Amazatron said:

Eurovision Song Contest: 8/10

I did not expect to get emotional over a Will Ferrell movie, but here we are in 2020, and dammit, I needed it. The movie drags in some parts and the comedy is a bit hit and miss, but Rachel McAdams is fantastic and the supporting cast is strong. The music carries the movie and is overall excellent.

JAJA DING DONG

It’s stupid but I loved it. I think in a lot of ways it reminded me of all the Sandler/Barrymore movies. Most of them are pretty bad but damnit I love all of them haha

21 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

It adds 23 minutes to the runtime and is director Ari Aster's preferred or director's cut of the film. It's better and more filled out so makes more sense - but is longer.

Would you recommend watching the DC over the theatrical if you haven’t seen either yet?