~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

13 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

What do you mean? Jason Mewes looks as he always has as I know - looked the same in trailers for this I thought. 

Yeah he just looks older. He had drug issues which might contribute to it but I don’t really see anything wrong with his face. Most havent seen the guy since like 2006? With Clerks II. 

On 6/8/2020 at 4:44 PM, Greatoneshere said:

What do you mean? Jason Mewes looks as he always has as I know - looked the same in trailers for this I thought. 

I was exaggerating but Mewes has that unsettling, to me at least, meth-face going on combined with what looks like a new set of teeth because he probably lost them all due to his drug abuse. Maybe that sounds stupid but I just kind of feel bad for him every time I see him now instead of laughing at his jokes. He has talked about having to get dental surgeries etc. in interviews due to his drug problems. 

The actual reason I'm not terribly interested is because it doesn't look very good. 

Edit: Btw, I do love the Clerks movies but not that much else from the universe really.

• Thanks 1

JoJo Rabbit 4K 4/5

This movie plays a little rough for the first hour of the film. Serious, happy and funny Nazi fun, but always focusing on some odd small moments which are bigger then are. The last 30-40 is just a wonderful moment of acting/writing from Taika with Sam Rockwell delivering yet another slightly odd but award winning performance of a character. It deserved all the award season attention it got, and now I must find the time to watch my Parasite 4K disc for comparison.

spacer.png

Voice: 9/10 - So generally I've only been watching the romantic K-Dramas but I know none of you are interested in that nonsense so I decided to switch it up. This one is more like a thriller, and on Netflix so you have no excuse to not watch it. The show is kind of like Seven meets 24.The show is basically about a police officer and a police officer's daughter who works at a call center (I know fuck the police right now but this is Korea so police officers in Korea are different). His wife was murdered and her father was murdered, the killer was never caught.

So she forms the "Golden Time Team" because I guess when you call 211 (the equivalent of 911) that there is either no thing as first responders or they are very slow to act ( maybe @thewhyteboar can give insight into this). In any case its a very dark and violent show, some subject matter that maybe even wouldn't fly in the United States (Child abuse, kidnappings, etc). Interesting thing I've noticed, and only seen one other  Korean show do it, but if there is a weapon on screen and it's going to be used for malicious purposes they blur it out. So you'll see blurry knifes and such. Anyway to sum everything up very nicely without actually saying anything I enjoyed the journey. This is another stick with it show, meaning you might not be grabbed by the first episode but stick with it and you should enjoy it. The early episodes revolve a lot about the call center calls and after a couple of episodes I thought, "Is this going to be a monster of the week type show?" But things progress in a manner that make it not that way.

I like Lee Ha-Na, she's got an interesting face. (Yeah this feels out of place but I had no where else to put it)

Minor spoilers: I had seen Kim Jae-Wook in another show

Spoiler

He was a wonderful man in the other show I saw. However, in this one he is absolutely evil! How could he break my heart like this? :cry:

So I guess that means he's a good actor and very versatile

LASTLY! This song during the credits, pure 🔥🔥🔥

(And lastly, lastly, I saw there are 2 more seasons of this (which aren't on Netflix) but I don't know how I feel about watching this show if Jang Hyuk isn't on board :thinking:)

• Thanks 1

I don't know why that is. But I've seen a few episodes of that! And I've been to the market where they filmed one of the creepy scenes--narrow twisting alleys. And the blurry thing can look really goofy. You will see episodes of GOT on tv with all the swords blurred out lol. Looks weird.

spacer.png

10: 8/10 - You know I sat down to watch this and I was wondering why I was. But right towards the middle of the movie I figured it out. I probably added it to my queue in memory of the late Brian Dennehy. But that's not to say I didn't enjoy the movie up to that point. It was actually pretty interesting and still funny. The thing is other than being a comedy it's got some serious messages about life in it so it gives you something to think about. Also seeing a lot of nudity wasn't bad either. :p

The OA

So I just finished season 1 and the first episode of season 2. I'm constantly torn with this show. There's a lot I find incredibly creative and affecting about it but then the next scene will be something so silly and goofy in a seemingly unintentional way that I'm not sure what's happening. I don't mind this sort of thing with David Lynch for example because it seems self-aware but I'm just never sure what to make of this. There was a string of truly great episodes there towards the end of season 1 though, that's for sure. 

The first episode of season 2 so far has been...interesting I suppose? Have to see where it goes. 

Operation Finale: C

I agreed with my wife's sentiments that it was an interesting bit of history, just not the most amazing film. 

The Prestige: B

When I first watched The Prestige (and prior to the other night, the only time), I thought it was incredible. It's still very. very good - but not as clever as I remember it being. 

MIDWAY 4K 1.5/5

Well I gotta mention that I bought the Cnd version on disk and does not contain the amazingly reviewed Atmos track released elsewhere. Although DTS-HDMA w. Neural X added did fill in the overhead sounds nicely but god I wish I got the true Atmos track. Anyways the actions sounds good. . . . and that’s about it for this movie. The dialog is terrible, SFX looks at times cartoony and what the hell was that accent Ed Skrien attempting? Just avoid the movie but it’s worth a few demo scenes for an Atmos setup demo to friends/family

TERMINATOR 2: JUDGEMENT DAY 3D (Region B Locked) 4/5

The movie still holds up today but the amazing ground breaking T-1000 SFX are kinda showing their age in their stiffness. They’re still amazing, don’t get me wrong, but it’s amazing how far they have come along. The 3D was also pretty good for a conversion of such and old film. Like most of today’s films, it dealt more with the depth of the picture with only the occasional gun barrel or shotgun extended beyond the screen. The sound for the disc was odd as the centre channel seemed a little too muted compare to the rest of the speakers. Almost as bad or worse then most of the recent neutered a Disney disc releases. The subwoofer still gets a healthy workout but I was really hoping a new DTS:X or my preferred Dolby Atmos track was offered. The Neural X helped add some nice overhead atmospheric sound, but wish it was a discrete channel of sound. So 3D fans should give it a buy, but go through Asia if you don’t have a region free player to enjoy the Region B locked copy I viewed. 

i rewatched Scrubs (like a lot of people, due to listening to the podcast with Zach Braff and Donald Faison and it definitely starts as a 7, moves up the high 8's and then settles in the 6's to finish. 

Now moving on to Buffy: The Vampire Slayer which is such a great series. 

Westworld Season 3

What a disappointment. The show has always been dumber than it thought it was but this season was straight up stupid. I have never been so annoyed by the incompetence of guards in a movie or show as was by the guards in this season, the make 80s action movie cannon fodder baddies look like final bosses. The Aaron Paul stuff was decent as was a lot of the future world building but everything else was a collection of convenient encounters and suspenseless action.

I really wish these huge budget shows would take just a few percent of the effects and production budget and throw it into the writing.

3.5/10

Annabelle Comes Home: C+

So predictable, but it was fun and apart from one particular monster, it all held up well. The series just doesn't have that shock value any more so needs a big break, or they need to focus on other possessed objects/eras tied in with the things kept in the room. 

The Irishman

I finally sat down to watch it. I had been waiting for the mood to really strike me and it was worth the wait.

I loved the pacing, the atmosphere and the whole ending segment was really good. I didn't expect to like it so much but there's a tone to it that seems very honest from Scorsese.

9/10

spacer.png

Ghost in the Shell: 3/10 - Oh boy. Where should I start with this one? I would say it's probably one of the only films to make me watch the original source material immediately watching the remake. I had not been forward to watching this one because I'm in the camp of animation being a magical thing. Once you take the animation out of the equation and make it live action you've sucked the magic out of it. Then you get some whitewashing and have Scar Jo to play a Japanese character, but then they try to justify it by changing her name to Mira Killian but then at the end they kind of fuck it up again. But get past that, well they PG-13'd up an ultra violent anime so expect none of that, no nudity, I mean no nudity isn't a big deal except when you're making the character nude like this movie does. The acting, horrid across the board (besides the garbage truck driver I thought he was ok). The movie even gets the look and sound of the movie wrong. This movie is very cyberpunk looking but the sets are too clean and sterile, the scenes are lifeless. Go back to the original and you've got bustling markets and packed cities and waterways. Also, the look of the original was more of a dystopian sci-fi look. Like still modernish and run down. I like me some Clint Mansell but even the soundtrack is wrong here. But maybe all of that is passable if they get the story right but they get that wrong too. Instead of part action / part philosophical questioning of what life truly is, we get some evil mega corp guy worried about his property. The scenes are all shuffled up or retold in not so good ways. Like the movie is like a prequel mixed with the original story and it doesn't quite pan out correctly. Mostly wrong is how the movie has Major looking at her past caring about who she originally was (lots of focus on origins in this movie) but the original doesn't care about origins, she accepts who she is and knows what she is.

I appreciate some scenes tried to pay homage to the original like the water fight thing, but it's weird how they combined to characters into one and then cut out the whole invisible pursuit. It's strange like oh hey she's on the rooftop for no reason and they skip out on that whole marketplace chase.

Anyway, garbage. KITE was better than this and that movie is even further away from it's source material

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - 7/10

I feel a little conflicted here and maybe it's hypocritical to say I enjoyed this (well liked it enough) after tearing GotS apart in the previous post, especially when I had a huge issue with them messing up the source material. IN ANY CASE - it's a strange movie. It feels like this was justification for all the fans who hated Man of Steel, like oh they made Superman a murderer so they could make THIS movie. I was under the impression Batman was a smart guy but I'm not totally sure what made him snap. Like he saw the guy's letters and papers with something written on it and got super pissed at Superman. Huh? As someone who has read and has the comic, "The Death of Superman" and I was thinking early on in the movie, "I wonder when one of these movies will have Doomsday in it" and then it happened. But the film was so mixed up with introducing all these justice league characters that it wasn't the fight you know and love. That being said, I was mostly ok with the change. I thought the action scenes mostly make this watchable. I thought Snyder went a bit overboard with some of the biblical biblical allusions, like it was a freeze frame of it like three or four times. Dear lord!

I know this huge rant makes it sound like I didn't like it, but I did. The end. :p

10 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

spacer.png

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - 7/10

I feel a little conflicted here and maybe it's hypocritical to say I enjoyed this (well liked it enough) after tearing GotS apart in the previous post, especially when I had a huge issue with them messing up the source material. IN ANY CASE - it's a strange movie. It feels like this was justification for all the fans who hated Man of Steel, like oh they made Superman a murderer so they could make THIS movie. I was under the impression Batman was a smart guy but I'm not totally sure what made him snap. Like he saw the guy's letters and papers with something written on it and got super pissed at Superman. Huh? As someone who has read and has the comic, "The Death of Superman" and I was thinking early on in the movie, "I wonder when one of these movies will have Doomsday in it" and then it happened. But the film was so mixed up with introducing all these justice league characters that it wasn't the fight you know and love. That being said, I was mostly ok with the change. I thought the action scenes mostly make this watchable. I thought Snyder went a bit overboard with some of the biblical biblical allusions, like it was a freeze frame of it like three or four times. Dear lord!

I know this huge rant makes it sound like I didn't like it, but I did. The end. :p

Did you watch the director's cut?

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Did you watch the director's cut?

I did not. Though I heard it alleviates a lot of the issue (some of them) but it's also like 30 minutes longer and the movie is already 2 hours and 30 minutes :tired:

3 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

don't you mean 0.7/10 ???

Well nothing I can say here will change your mind but my rating scale 7 is about average (like a C on a test) So 7 is favorable but not the best. 5 means the movie is bad and anything between 1 - 5 is just the degrees of badness. :p

13 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I did not. Though I heard it alleviates a lot of the issue (some of them) but it's also like 30 minutes longer and the movie is already 2 hours and 30 minutes :tired:

It doesn't make the movie good but it is a good sight better than the theatrical version. Batman still has gatling guns attached to his Batmobile and doesn't have his no-kill rule, Luthor's plot remains nonsensical and the Martha moment is all still in there but it's better.