~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

The Devil Rides Out 1968

Occult/Action film based on the 1934 novel  of the same name.Christopher Lee plays a paranormal investigator going up against a satanic cult.Lee himself really enjoyed this character/film and its one of the few times he gets to be the hero.

Visual: 1080p Blu ray upgrade looks good

Audio: Service able

13 hours ago, SimpleG said:

The Devil Rides Out 1968

Occult/Action film based on the 1934 novel  of the same name.Christopher Lee plays a paranormal investigator going up against a satanic cult.Lee himself really enjoyed this character/film and its one of the few times he gets to be the hero.

Visual: 1080p Blu ray upgrade looks good

Audio: Service able

OH, that looks really good! I’ll look for it! Thanks!

American Werewolf In London

Horror comedy from John Landis about 2 Americans (David Naughton and Griffin Dunne) that get attacked while backpacking across England.

Visual: This is an Arrow release, the film was scanned at 4k and released at 1080P. It is almost flawless.

Audio: 1.0 or 5.1 HD are the choices. The 5.1 sound good but subdued , there isnt a lot going on the rears and sides.

I am big fan of this film , the special effects are top( first ever academy award for make up) everything is practical , no CGI. The comedy bits are black and there is a great Jewish undertone thru the film.

List of Extras

Audio commentary by Beware the Moon documentary filmmaker Paul Davis (new)
Audio commentary by actors David Naughton and Griffin Dunne
Mark of The Beast: The Legacy of the Universal Werewolf – Feature-length documentary by filmmaker Daniel Griffith featuring interviews with John Landis, David Naughton, Joe Dante, and more (new)
Interview with John Landis (new)
I Think He’s a Jew: The Werewolf’s Secret – a video essay by filmmaker Jon Spira about how the film explores Jewish identity(new)
The Werewolf’s Call – Filmmaker Corin Hardy (The Nun) chats with writer Simon Ward about their formative experiences with the film (new)
Wares of the Wolf – Special effects artist Dan Martin and Tim Lawes of The Prop Store look at some of the original costumes and special effects artefacts from the film (new)
Beware the Moon: Remembering An American Werewolf in London – Paul Davis’ 2009 feature-length documentary featuring extensive cast and crew interviews
Making An American Werewolf in London archival featurette
Interview with John Landis (archival)
Interview with makeup artist Rick Baker about American Werewolf
Interview with makeup artist Rick Baker about The Wolf Man films
Footage from Rick Baker’s workshop as they cast David Naughton’s hand
Outtakes
Original trailers, teasers, and radio spots
Image gallery with over 200 stills, posters, and more

spacer.png

Her Private Life: 10/10

I enjoyed this show immensely. It's well written and acted, a pleasant surprise to be sure. Deok Mi is an art museum curator by day but a fangirl by night. Ryan Gold is an artist who's lost his touch, but their paths cross and an unlikely relationship is formed. I thought that the show remains positive for the most of the time, antagonists aren't necessarily bad, most hardships are resolved. Park Min Young is amazing. The most disappointing part is coming to the end of the show because it was like saying goodbye to your good friends who you've spent so long getting attached to.

On 11/4/2019 at 6:44 PM, GeneticBlueprint said:

Motherless Brooklyn - 3/10

I don't know how to describe this. The movie was competently shot, acted, scored, etc. But I couldn't get over how absolutely, horrifically boring it was. I kept glancing at the time asking myself "Is this over yet?"

never a good sign. Was interested in seeing it but now I'll skip it. 

Fleabag S1 & S2

Very well written, clever and often very funny. Small aspects were a bit too hipster-y for me and eventually got on my nerves but overall I thought it was great.

9/10

Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee - Season...whatever's the latest

I don't know, I find this show endlessly endearing and entertaining and I'm not sure why, it's almost a guilty pleasure I guess. I do enjoy how unapologetically misanthropic Seinfeld can be. 

10/10 for misanthropy 

2 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

Dr. Sleep...hmm I guess it wasn't bad but the book still blows it out of the water. You just can't take a complex 500+ page book and whittle it down to a 2 and a half hour movie without losing a lot. 

I've just picked up the book (I read the Shining when I was 13 or 14 and loved it, so this was way overdue) and I could imagine, like pretty much every Stephen King story, it takes an awful lot to make them into successful movies. 

Dolemite is My Name- 8/10: Great to see Eddie Murphy and Wesley Snipes nearly steals the show. Plus I love any movie about guerilla filmmaking.

Harriet-7/10: Great performances and beautifully shot film, hampered by a somewhat watered down script. Plus the screening I saw was plagued by a bunch of unruly kids.

Upgrade- 8.5/10: I was really pleasantly surprised by this... throwback to violent R rated sci-fi action flicks from the 80's. Tonally this is what Terminator movies SHOULD be trying to be.

On 11/10/2019 at 12:21 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

Dolemite is My Name- 8/10: Great to see Eddie Murphy and Wesley Snipes nearly steals the show. Plus I love any movie about guerilla filmmaking.

Harriet-7/10: Great performances and beautifully shot film, hampered by a somewhat watered down script. Plus the screening I saw was plagued by a bunch of unruly kids.

Upgrade- 8.5/10: I was really pleasantly surprised by this... throwback to violent R rated sci-fi action flicks from the 80's. Tonally this is what Terminator movies SHOULD be trying to be.

Interested in Upgrade now that I googled it, had never even heard of it before. It sounds like The Surge: The Movie. 

I thought Dolemite was pretty entertaining and interesting, I'd give it a 7/10. I'd be curious to know how accurate the portrayal of him is as a rather well-meaning nice guy overall. 

Ford V. Ferrari - 8/10

This movie is really misnamed, it is the story of Carroll Shelby and Ken Miles.  The main antagonist of the movie is a Ford Executive, not Ferrari.  I was entertained by the movie, and thought both Christian Bale and Matt Damon did a fairly solid job.  The portrayal of Ford corporate culture was surprisingly accurate.

The Wind

Little too disjointed for my taste, kind of reminded a bit of The Witch which I also thought was overrated.

5.5/10

Parasite

Best movie I have seen this year. Bong Joon-ho might be the best director of this century so far, the way he sets things up without you even realize you are looking at something important until it pays off is incredible.  I don't want to say much more, you really should go into this one as blind as possible but do go see it.

10/10

Gemini Man - Come for two Will Smiths, suffer through (but sometimes enjoy) some rejiggered 90s schlock, stay for Ang Lee's wonderful action direction rendered in a strangely appropriate high-tech presentation // B-

The Lighthouse - Tough to pull much more out of this beyond it being an exercise in style. People are making a fuss over Pattinson and Dafoe chewing the scenery, but Eggers outdoes them both without even being on camera (at least physically.) Good time. // C+

Pain and Glory - Not well-"read" on Almodovar (I think I've only seen The Skin I Live In) so probably didn't play as well as it should have with all the self-reflexivity on display, but still worked quite well for me. A slow burn that picks up all the pieces in the last third for a very effective ending. // B

Doctor Sleep - Speaking of endings, this one boffs it! Despite a great many diversions (you could cut down significantly on the Gypsy Breath Cannibal stuff and not only reduce the runtime but also the overt sense that this is Based On A Book), I was surprised by how into this I was. It was doing its own thing, the cast was excellent (I hate myself for forgetting how great Ferguson is), Flanagan is firing on all cylinders. Then the end comes and it's suddenly NOT doing its own thing and gets bogged down in being reverential. // B-

Parasite (rewatch) - Bunch of stuff I noticed on this viewing, but I can't remember now. Guess I'll have to see it again. // A

Ford v Ferrari - Great racing sequence(s) near the end. Bit too much on the "let him race/no/let him race/okay" back and forth. Everyone is fine. It's fine. // B-

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood - I didn't think I'd walk out of a movie (somewhat) about Mr. Rogers featuring one of my favorite actors (Matthew Rhys, for the record) and be so completely taken with, among many other things, the direction. This is material that would be easy to half-ass, but Heller imbues even the most mundane of moments with meaning and grace in a subtle manner. Lot of other commendable facets of the movie -- it's great, highly recommended -- but had to mention just that one part. // B+ 

Jojo Rabbit - There's a scene about twenty minutes in that clumsily breaks the tone that the movie had been coasting on up to that point. It lingers on something very specific in the scene. As the movie continues, that imagery keeps popping up in another specific context. I saw something coming, and hoped Waititi wouldn't go there. But then he did. And I felt sick. Maybe one of the most tasteless things I've seen recently? Especially in a movie that isn't as risque as it thinks it is or everyone's making it out to be. // Not Good

• Thanks 1

Wildlife - 5/5 woof Carey Mulligan not getting nominated for best actress last year was a crime. Her and Ed Oxenbould knocked it out of the park with their acting. Story isn’t anything special but the acting elevates it a ton. Meant to watch this last year but couldn’t get a screening. Forgot about it until now. 

On 11/23/2019 at 9:14 PM, Zeluge said:

Jojo Rabbit - There's a scene about twenty minutes in that clumsily breaks the tone that the movie had been coasting on up to that point. It lingers on something very specific in the scene. As the movie continues, that imagery keeps popping up in another specific context. I saw something coming, and hoped Waititi wouldn't go there. But then he did. And I felt sick. Maybe one of the most tasteless things I've seen recently? Especially in a movie that isn't as risque as it thinks it is or everyone's making it out to be. // Not Good

I'll second that. I felt like it was up its own ass and wasn't nearly as funny, edgy or remotely as interesting as it seemed to think, seconded as well. I actually found it a bit embarrassing in that it clearly thought it was insanely provocative but instead missed the mark and just felt somehow dull and tasteless at once...and not the funny or exciting kind of tasteless. 

I don't know what I'd give it but I thought it just didn't work at all and missing the mark on that subject matter is...really bad. Maybe a 2 out of 5 for some of the sets, costumes and cinematography? 

47 Meters Down Uncaged 2.5/5 - is this a bad movie? Yes. But is it fun? Also yes. A few jump scares got me and I’m not very jumpy. 

The Nightingale 3.5/5

Official Secrets 4/5 it’s pretty by the books but who doesn’t love watching the government get exposed 

On 11/4/2019 at 6:44 PM, GeneticBlueprint said:

Motherless Brooklyn - 3/10

I don't know how to describe this. The movie was competently shot, acted, scored, etc. But I couldn't get over how absolutely, horrifically boring it was. I kept glancing at the time asking myself "Is this over yet?"

i got the exact same feel from Appaloosa