~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

Just now, elbobo said:

Uhtred also had a couple of young children appear near the end of season 2, ok I guess he has kids now, when the hell did that happen? I'm pretty sure they did a 3 year jump in season 2 so I guess they were born then but they really need some down time moments or whole episodes in between all the battles and raids. 

Yeah at the beginning of that episode a big fat “THREE YEARS LATER” appears on screen. And they explain the land as been at peace. So he settled down and had a family during that time. There are some confusing time jumps, for example o think he was in slavery for over a year but the only way to tell is by paying attention to the season’s passing. But this particular time jump isn’t confusing at all. There’s also been at least 8 years between S1 and S2 I think. Just based on how much Alfred’s daughter has aged. 

I love the pace of the show, it is really fast but everything flows together well. I really don’t need a GoT clone where it takes a season and a half for a character to cross from one side of the lake to another. 

The Innocent Man 9/10

It's a docuseries just released on Netflix about wrongful convictions in Ada, OK, based on the non-fiction book of the same name by John Grisham. I'm an avid Grisham fan and I've read the book numerous times since it released in 2006. The show covers two cases. In one, the men were exonerated via DNA evidence and the real killer was convicted and is serving life without parole. The second case really sucks, since the men are still in prison and were convicted based on obviously false confessions. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Emblazon said:

There's a rather sizable time jump coming in the next season. Significantly larger than any before. 

Damn really? I know they’ve got enough current book material for a season 4 and 5. Uhtred must me an old man by the time book 10 hits if they stay on the pace they’re on. 

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

Damn really? I know they’ve got enough current book material for a season 4 and 5. Uhtred must me an old man by the time book 10 hits if they stay on the pace they’re on. 

Spoiler

His children play a large part moving forward... as adults. Curious to see how they manage that. 

12 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Well, you people have convinced me. The next show the husband and I will watch together will be The Last Kingdom. Might be after New Year's before we start it, though.

You won’t regret it. I was watching it by myself till one day my wife was in the room reading. I ended up pausing it and explaining the whole story then restarting the whole show with her. It’s so good. 

• Thanks 1

The Christmas Chronicles 4/5

I’m not the biggest Xmas movie fan but I really enjoy this film. Kurt Russell is just awesome as Santa and I liked his attitude and his anger at the way the world sees him as nothing but an out of shape jolly HOHOHO’ing old man. I would love to see them do another one if they can come up with the right script for it. Highly recommend watching it this evening or on Xmas day

The last Kingdom season 3

those two extra episodes helped a lot with the pacing problems of the first 2 seasons. Playing hot potato with the witch got a old after the first couple of switches though and I was never really into that plot.

Great scene with Uhtred and Alfred at the end, probably the strongest of the whole series. 

This show continues to have no chill when it comes to killing characters.

8.5/10 

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle  3.25/5

I didn’t mind it. Jack Black does a great job playing a girl and liked the slightly more adult tone in comparison to the original Jumanji movie. Nice seeing the nods back to the first film as well. I watched this in 4K and is one beautiful looking disc and the Atmos track did a great job too. Wouldn’t mind seeing what the 3D would of looked like but don’t think I will import to see for the price it sells for overseas

Dark (Netflix) 5/5

Not the last thing I saw but one that truly is sticking with me. I absolutely loved this show from front to back, fantastic stuff. The last moments of the last episode didn't really do it for me but I'll give it a pass to see what happens with that in the next season. 

I know it didn't come out in 2018, but it's my favorite of the year in terms of new films and shows I saw. One thing I'd like to note is that the subtitles and English dub both kind of blow compared to the original German language, I tested it out for some friends. 

travelers season 3

I thought this was the weakest season of a show that has flown under the radar for a lot people. The writing was never super strong in the series but there are a lot of easy out hand waves this year that irked me, still had some good episodes and moments though. I must mention it has one of the worst CGI shots in recent history, laugh out loud bad. 

It wraps up as what could either be a series finale or the start of the next chapter and I'm ok with it being either.

6/10

Annihilation
6.5/10

I quite enjoyed this one despite its many faults. The CGI looking like a EuroTrash Techno cover from the 90's was my biggest gripe. I like what they were going for but it looked really cheesy in parts.

Story-wise, this is essentially a Twilight Zone episode, The Thing a d Invasion of the Body Snatchers all tossed together.

It was decent but I'll forget about it within 2 hours.

Luther Season 5: Episode 1

I love Luther, despite how ridiculous it typically is and this episode was no different. Although it was a relative slow burner of an episode (being part 1/2) it was decent.  However, Luther's new Partner isn't great and Hermione Norris was an odd casting choice as I know her so well from Cold Feet.  That said, this fills the Sherlock void nicely and as always, is a series everyone should watch. 

7/10

Voltron The Legendary Defender season 8

I wasn't a huge fan of all the mind realm/spirit stuff that happened this year, just never really clicked. Again as I have said on other seasons of this show though it is a kid's show so you can't judge it like a HBO program or the like. A solid overall finale for the series.

7/10

On 12/22/2018 at 1:21 AM, Mercury33 said:

You won’t regret it. I was watching it by myself till one day my wife was in the room reading. I ended up pausing it and explaining the whole story then restarting the whole show with her. It’s so good. 

Only two episodes in, but it's good so far. We just haven't had time to really lay into it, but I'm looking forward to when we can.

7 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Only two episodes in, but it's good so far. We just haven't had time to really lay into it, but I'm looking forward to when we can.

Nice! Each season improves over the last which is something to look forward too. And you can really tell Netflix took over for season 3 as the jump in budget and video quality is apparent. Not to mention the story of season 3(which I’m halfway through) rivals any storyline in GoT imo. 

Annihilation 6/10 - Uhh I didn’t hate it and I’m glad I watched it but it definitely wasn’t good. Inconsistent CGI, wooden acting, shallow uninteresting characters. Yet the world and concept was enough to keep me engaged. The bear scene while districting didn’t live up to the hype I’d seen for it online. Still love and trust garland but this was a misfire. 

BLACK PANTHER (3D) 2.5/5

Good 3D disc and good sound (when upped to a reasonable volume) but I’m with Eric Cartman in that the movie was overrated. Watched with my mom, cousin and her husband and all had the same reaction/feelings for the film. Also 3 of us were a little stoned on our go too Cinderella 99 strain, and mom was the control in this viewing. It did make all the colours really pop though and a little mesmerizing at times, but not enough to make the movie better

10 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Annihilation 6/10 - Uhh I didn’t hate it and I’m glad I watched it but it definitely wasn’t good. Inconsistent CGI, wooden acting, shallow uninteresting characters. Yet the world and concept was enough to keep me engaged. The bear scene while districting didn’t live up to the hype I’d seen for it online. Still love and trust garland but this was a misfire. 

If you didn’t see it in theatres, you definitely lose something. Film looks and sounds much better. And I know that’s true for every movie, but this one has more to gain from watching at a theatre.