~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

Talihina Sky: The Story of Kings of Leon

I didn't know shit about this band, including their music, but I'm a sucker for music documentaries so I watched it with my wife at her insistence. As a documentary, it was confusing and plot-less really but as some sort of behind-the-scenes look for fans of the band I imagine this would be quite cool. I didn't really get anything out of it besides the fact that this band is ultra hillbilly which I actually found very endearing. 

It was like The Wild And Wonderful Whites Of West Virginia with a Rock band. 

?/10

Edit: Oh yeah...the singer can fucking sing but the band itself did nothing for me.

4 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Robin Hood (2018) - 5/10 - I don't mind modern stylishness in pseudo-period pieces. There was some fun action but at times it just gets too cheesy. This movie has car chases and about 1 explosion per minute which seems like a bit much for something that's supposed to take place during the Crusader period.

You're exaggerating quite a bit there. There were a few explosions, other than the constant puffs of flames from the mines. But yeah it was a little over the top, but you pretty much had to know that going in from the trailers. Considering the ending it's pretty clear they were expecting/hoping it would be a hit and this would be just the start of a series. 

4 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

You're exaggerating quite a bit there. There were a few explosions, other than the constant puffs of flames from the mines. But yeah it was a little over the top, but you pretty much had to know that going in from the trailers. Considering the ending it's pretty clear they were expecting/hoping it would be a hit and this would be just the start of a series. 

I was trying to joke about this specifically haha. And yeah they definitely wanted a hit. Like every other movie unnecessarily trying to setup a sequel. I'd probably go see it, too. Lol.

Also Ben Mendhelson was delicious in this movie.

1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

The Last Kingdom S1-3 - 4.5/5 - I can't remember the last time I binged a show. Heck, I barely watch tv anymore. Just excellent. It makes me want to read the books now. 

I really like the books and they’re the kind you can read over a long weekend.

Channel Zero - The Dream Door

Syfy's horror anthology continues into its 4th season. Previous seasons always had an interesting idea or monster that just never really came together and despite being only 6 episodes long they all seemed to drag. This is the first solid season, it moves along a good pace with a few decent scares. The main villain is pretty bad though.

6.5/10

Prometheus 3D 2.5/5

Been sitting in my pile of many unwatched movies and finally got around seeing it. The 3D was pretty good with excellent depth and separation, but the movies ho-hum. The story just seem to lack anything of substance to his Alien franchise.

Hotel Transylvania 3 (4K) 3/5

I really wish this was given a 3D release anywhere in the world to order from, but sadly it was not (like MI: Fallout) At least the 4K picture was pretty stunning and so was the Atmos track. Sure it’s still a kids film, but appreciated the occasional adult jokes/nods to entertain the older audience. 

Venom

Definitely not as bad a the reviews/rotten tomatoes made it out to be. Certainly not great flick but perfectly serviceable outside of Tom hardy's hellacious accent and my super hero movie pet peeve of the villain just being the evil version of the hero

6.5/10

Teen Titans! Go To The Movies  3/5

I’m not a huge fan of the tv series (like the mature version) The tv spots worked for me and found a cheap copy to buy. It is pretty much a pg Deadpool movie. Very meta and 4th wall breaking. They don’t hold back on making fun of themselves movie wise. It has one great cameo that hopefully no one has ruined, great back to the future moment and a funny extended “Martha” conversation from Batman and Superman. Still with all that said, it seem to drag a bit even with a 84 minute runtime. Still enough laughs to recommend a viewing

The Last Kingdom seasons 1 and 2

I have never seen a show that needed to slow down more than this, it is like season 7 GoT all the time or an anti netflix marvel series. Huge and frequent time jumps, few if any lingering results from major events, characters seem to get over things by the next episode most of the time.

Uhtred had 3 "wives" over the course of literally 8 episodes, Jerry didn't go through girlfriends that fast on Seinfeld. His first son dies and is never mentioned again, seems like that would be kind of a big deal for most people. The slavery part should have been at least half a season if not more and a huge life changing ordeal for Uhtred instead of it is a barely over an episode and not mentioned again after he has a quick confrontation with the king that sold him out. Antagonists appear and dealt with 2-3 episodes later. It all just flies by

Pacing issues aside it is a good series, I wish the fight scenes will shot a little less shaky cam style though. Don't get attached to any characters.

7/10

2 hours ago, elbobo said:

The Last Kingdom seasons 1 and 2

I have never seen a show that needed to slow down more than this, it is like season 7 GoT all the time or an anti netflix marvel series. Huge and frequent time jumps, few if any lingering results from major events, characters seem to get over things by the next episode most of the time.

Hide contents

Uhtred had 3 "wives" over the course of literally 8 episodes, Jerry didn't go through girlfriends that fast on Seinfeld. His first son dies and is never mentioned again, seems like that would be kind of a big deal for most people. The slavery part should have been at least half a season if not more and a huge life changing ordeal for Uhtred instead of it is a barely over an episode and not mentioned again after he has a quick confrontation with the king that sold him out. Antagonists appear and dealt with 2-3 episodes later. It all just flies by

Pacing issues aside it is a good series, I wish the fight scenes will shot a little less shaky cam style though. Don't get attached to any characters.

7/10

I think the point of the speed and pace of both the books and show is to indicate that for these people back then, all those things happening to you was just a way of life, particularly for Uhtred, who lives recklessly. It isn't something to pontificate over too much for them back then, that's just how life was. He still struggled immensely to get over the slavery stuff. 

Also, a lot of time is passing between events, though they don't make that as clear, I agree. 

Uhtred also had a couple of young children appear near the end of season 2, ok I guess he has kids now, when the hell did that happen? I'm pretty sure they did a 3 year jump in season 2 so I guess they were born then but they really need some down time moments or whole episodes in between all the battles and raids.