~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

First Man

Went and saw this in the theater tonight and very much enjoyed it. The sense of danger is very discernible, the camera and audio work are great (though a bit too much shaky cam for me) and the use of real props instead of greenscreen really pays off. One sees the cost of space exploration throughout, whether it's actually financially, through anxiety and uncertainty, injuries or death, or the emotional strains on families. There is a lot less of the "Americuh, fuck yeah!" that one might have come to expect from movies about the moon landing (and apparently there was actually some bitching about the lack of a "planting the flag" moment :rolleyes: :lol:). But I think this lack of patriotism is all to the better. The focus is on the general human element, and they nailed that. 

8/10 

The Apostle - Netflix

5/10

The film had an unnerving tone to it but was a bit light in the scares department.The story was interesting but it felt incomplete, I enjoy films where I am left guessing as long as the film provides me with some clues. Its also very heavy with gore but without any backstory the gore was just there for the sake of being there.

Ozarks S2: 9/10

I was honestly feeling a little down on the show through the second half of the season. Obviously it was still very good but like a lot of shows I felt like it was moving away from what, imo, made it great. Marty doing his thing. Story wise it made sense for Marty to start getting overwhelmed and shut down as the season went along but I feel the show suffered it bit for that. I was won back with the incredible final episode. My god what an amazing way to end the season. Marty started to regain his form and the newly developed spin for Wendy adds so much to what’s about to come. Imo this is the best show on right. 

BlackKlannssman 7.5/10

Went to an awards screening last night and saw the movie. It was entertaining and kept my interest despite the damn near 2 and a half hour run time. There were sone corny moments and Spike still manages to get some pretty lame performances from otherwise good actors, but I enjoyed this film more than any other recent Spike Lee joint from the last ten years. i liked some of the topical winks and nods to current events he managed to work into the film and tribute to Heather Heyer was very moving. Some of the cast were at the screening for Q&A's but the girl and I left before that. We were both pretty wiped.

In my 38 years on this earth I don't think I have watched two more diametrically opposed movies back to back than I did tonight

Won't You Be my Neighbor

The Mr. Rodgers doc. If someone out there has some deep dark terrible secret about Mr Rodgers I beg you please take it to your grave, we need to have at least one pure shining pillar of goodness in this world. "You don't ever have to do anything sensational for people to love you" I was completely unprepared for the emotional impact that line would have on me, I am unashamed to admit that I didn't just cry during this movie but straight up wept.

9/10

So I followed that up with

The Night Comes for Us

This very well could be the most brutal movie I have ever seen. The fight scenes are brilliant in their creative violence. The plot... yeah it is just there to barely tie together the action sequences but those sequences are all the movie needs and they are amazing.

9/10

good movie night

daredevil season 3

I stopped watching the netflix marvel shows after Defenders because they all had the problem of 8 hours of plot dragged out over 13 episodes, thankfully they seem to have fixed that for this season of DD. There are still 13 episodes but a lot of them were closer to 45 minutes instead of an hour like most of the marvel shows and that makes a huge difference. Throw in a couple of good villains and you have the best season of marvel that netflix has made.

8/10

House of Cards season 6

oh god don't watch this, it is awful beyond belief. The push down the stairs scene from a year or two ago looks like Citizen Kane compared to the nonsense that happens this year and to top it off it doesn't even really resolve anything in the end.

1/10

My Hero Academia seasons 1-3

Shonen tropes the anime, seriously you are going to get all of them here but they are generally well done. I like how they went all the way with making weird characters and powers and still acknowledging that they are ridiculous in a lot of cases. Deku is fine as a try hard main character, Bakugo needs to toned down several notches though. I watched the english dub and the highlight of show for me was easily All Might, a character that often comes off as comedic mix of Captain America and Superman with a boyscout persona that is through the roof but at the same time in his private thoughts he does a great job describing the weight of the responsibility he carries. The few times the story really lets him loose to kickass he is downright scary and you really get the full sense he is the most powerful being in that world.

The first season is tightly paced at 13 episodes, when they went to 25 for the next seasons it got into typical anime stretch it out territory. 

7/10

Game Night- far better than it deserved to be, based on the rather silly premise.  The cast however hold that premise together well.  The does ending feel like a group sat in a room for a day until they had an ending that worked well enough, rather than one that was necessarily good. Even so, a comfortable 8/10 for me.

Widows - 5/10

I thought it was highly overrated.  It is plodding, messy, and the side stories keep distracting from the main narrative.  I never really felt much a of payoff for anything and other than Elizabeth Debicki's character, I didn't really feel anything towards any of the characters.  Every guy in the movie is a caricature of horrible male behavior with very little nuance: cheater, murderer, racist, womanizer, abuser, manipulator, bullshit politician, etc.  The social commentary is extremely heavy handed and forced.  It also has some of the most awkward makeout scenes I've ever seen.

Finished  FTWD Season 4 - fuckin hell I hated that /10.  Jesus, after the great Season 3, this is what we get as a followup?  Fuck. . . .

Morgan is such a self righteous ass. I can't stand him. A typical Morgan scene goes, "I was just like you once, but I've changed. Let me tell you about it." STFU, Morgan.

13 hours ago, Amazatron said:

Widows - 5/10

I thought it was highly overrated.  It is plodding, messy, and the side stories keep distracting from the main narrative.  I never really felt much a of payoff for anything and other than Elizabeth Debicki's character, I didn't really feel anything towards any of the characters.  Every guy in the movie is a caricature of horrible male behavior with very little nuance: cheater, murderer, racist, womanizer, abuser, manipulator, bullshit politician, etc.  The social commentary is extremely heavy handed and forced.  It also has some of the most awkward makeout scenes I've ever seen.

I haven't seen the movie yet (can't wait) but that's just most men in real life bro. Not a caricature, from my experience anyway. 

Most men I've met don't have any "nuance".