~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

First Man

I'm unsure if a movie concerned with space exploration has ever taken such a tender, acute look at the colossal mortal burden involved in the advancement of the space race. They often flirt with or even directly address it, but this one's so specifically and solely about it. Everyone from the leads to the deep bench of supporting actors kills it, and Chazelle (to my eyes, at least) proves his fuller potential by moving past some of his overriding preoccupations that were present in his first two (major) features.

That handshake wrecked me.

A Star is Born

First third is excellent. Finely observed romance that blossoms wonderfully, along with the sheer enthusiasm and infectious energy in performing.

Once she's offered the record deal (this is the fifth screen telling of this story, spoilers are scarce), it loses that specificity and careful attention. One could argue that the acceleration is the point, but I found it far too scattershot and fast-paced to maintain the emotional investment, despite some really fantastic scenes in the back half. Oddly enough, I can point to the exact point during which I lost a significant connection to what was going on, and that was everything with Dave Chappelle. It's a 15-20 minute stretch of the movie that awkwardly lurches forward repeatedly, testing its emotional and narrative coherency as a whole.

I can't believe I was so moved by The Diceman.

The Dragon Prince S1 - 8/10

Took a few episodes to get rolling but once it did I really really enjoyed it. The 3 main characters are great once they get on their quest. It’s not quite as silly as Avatar but it has its moments and the charm is certainly their by the end of the season. Can’t wait for S2

Hotel Artemis: 8/10

Really enjoyed it. A lot more...touching I guess would be the word, than I thought it would be. Two climactic fights, one with the woman from the mummy was great. Reminded me of the hallway fight from Daredevil season 1. Wish that Bautista’s had been a bit more. Great cast ton top to bottom and a really fun/different concept. Felt like it could have taken place in the John Wick universe. 

Halloween (2018) - 5/10

Not terrible, but boring. Didn't break any new ground. Never felt scary or tense. Lots of reviews are giving this film credit as "the sequel the original always deserved."

I'd likely feel different if I were watching this in the 70s, but last night I left the theater wondering, "why did they make that?"

On 7/9/2018 at 1:46 PM, nacthenud said:

Due to being sick, I watched a lot of movies this weekend:

Lady Bird - 4/5 - I wasn't sure what to expect going in, but as a parent with two college-aged kids (and two younger ones) this was a touching, sincere film that reminds me of the importance of communicating with my kids.  After watching it, I went to my daughter and said, "You know, I think you're a remarkable person and I'm glad you're my kid"  She was like, "Stooooop, you're acting like Mom, and it's freaking me out."  :p

Hitman's Bodyguard - 3.5/5 - funny movie, good action, good writing, fun chemistry between Ryan Reynolds and Sam Jackson.  Good popcorn flick.  Not for the little ones - lots of bad language.

Greatest Showman - 4/5 - while completely historically inaccurate, it is a fun movie, so it gets a pass.  Great music that I now own the soundtrack for.  I'm a sucker for musicals and this hit the mark in that regard.

Terminator Genysis - 3/5 - I mean, it had its moments, but there's so much non-nonsensical stuff going on here, you really have to switch your brain off and just go with it.  If you can do that, then the film is entertaining enough. 

Tomb Raider (2018) - 4/5 - I really enjoyed the film.  Alicia Vikander does a wonderful job in the role.  They really paid a lot of homage to the reboot game.  I'm not saying it's a super-smart film by any stretch, but it looks great, has solid performances, and pretty good action.  It's a fun ride.

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001) - 3.5/5 - Watching this one is like a blast from the past.  It certainly gives you an appreciation for the more... mature?... approach of the new film by contrast.  Regardless, though, the film is still a fun watch.  Angelina Jolie in her prime - I'd forgotten this film also contains perhaps the most epic side-boob shot in all of film history.  On the flip-side for the ladies (or gentlemen of that persuasion), Daniel Craig looking ridiculously ripped.  Holy-Hannah!  I had forgotten they'd had him do an American accent in this film.  There's so many Americans in the movie doing a British accent and then the Brittish actor is doing an American accent... lol

You seem both hard to impress and difficult to disappoint with your scores. Lol

Battle of the Sexes - 7/10.  This was never really set up to be an acting or directorial masterclass, but it was a perfectly good movie, a good (and surprisingly current) message stringing it along and some decent performances.  One of those films that's worth seeing if you're hungover on a Sunday.

Tusk - Ridiculous/10

It wasn't bad but it wasn't good either. Depp's character was mildly amusing. I liked where it was going and was happy about the main characters fate because he was a real slimeball and the antagonist is such a great actor to watch. But the second half of the movie got too cartoony probably because the overall story is rather weird. I liked it but would never watch again. 

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade - 9/10

I first watched this as a kid and barely understood it thinking it was slow and boring. Now after seeing it again it's still a bit slow but it's certainly not boring. A very good tale of morality and counter-intelligence with impressive animation and iconic battle armor. 

Illang: The Wolf Brigade - 8/10

A live-action Korean remake of the original anime film. This seemingly got reviewed poorly for being completely different but I thought it was a very good adaption. Some parts of the story are changed as is the setting and revamped ending to be more actiony but the overall plot and message are the same. If you see them back to back there's not too much different. The action sequences are very well done as is the production quality. It was backed by Warner Bros. and it shows.  It has slow moments like the original and the actors performance are spot on but one protagonist is much more lively and a bit nuts over the original character. The battle armor is faithful to the original but looks a bit plastic in some instances. 

In anticipation of watching Blade Runner 2049 for the first time tomorrow, I watched the original Blade Runner last night.... also for the first time. :blush: I somehow managed to overlook this movie for years.

The movie has atmosphere in spades, and I like its handling of the issues it deals with (what it means to be human, technology, etc.). I have to admit though I was only watching it on the side while doing other things so I wasn't closely following the dialogue, so I probably didn't get the full experience. Still, I'm excited to see 2049. I'd give the original 8/10. :thumbup:

Better Call Saul season 4

This and breaking bad have the incredible ability to make seemingly boring scenarios and actions compelling television, a large section of the plot of this season revolves around digging a hole and it will hold your attention completely. Great acting and characters are of course present as would expect at this point. Johnathan Banks skill at saying so much with the tiniest of facial expressions or change in tone is always a pleasure and I don't think Rhea Seehorn gets anywhere near the credit she deserves. 

9/10

14 hours ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade - 9/10

I first watched this as a kid and barely understood it thinking it was slow and boring. Now after seeing it again it's still a bit slow but it's certainly not boring. A very good tale of morality and counter-intelligence with impressive animation and iconic battle armor. 

Illang: The Wolf Brigade - 8/10

A live-action Korean remake of the original anime film. This seemingly got reviewed poorly for being completely different but I thought it was a very good adaption. Some parts of the story are changed as is the setting and revamped ending to be more actiony but the overall plot and message are the same. If you see them back to back there's not too much different. The action sequences are very well done as is the production quality. It was backed by Warner Bros. and it shows.  It has slow moments like the original and the actors performance are spot on but one protagonist is much more lively and a bit nuts over the original character. The battle armor is faithful to the original but looks a bit plastic in some instances. 

I love the original anime film. I recently showed it to my wife (in anticipation of the Jee-woon Kim directed live-action Korean remake) and she didn't like it much, but she doesn't like densely plotted films normally anyway.

The Korean remake is directed by famed South Korean director Jee-woon Kim, for those that don't know. He's done A Tale of Two Sisters, A Bittersweet Life, The Good The Bad The Weird, I Saw The Devil, and The Age of Shadows. I'm glad to hear the remake is good as he's a fantastic director and I've always been a fan of the original film. Been looking forward to it for awhile now. How did you see it? Is it on Netflix or something already?

15 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I love the original anime film. I recently showed it to my wife (in anticipation of the Jee-woon Kim directed live-action Korean remake) and she didn't like it much, but she doesn't like densely plotted films normally anyway.

The Korean remake is directed by famed South Korean director Jee-woon Kim, for those that don't know. He's done A Tale of Two Sisters, A Bittersweet Life, The Good The Bad The Weird, I Saw The Devil, and The Age of Shadows. I'm glad to hear the remake is good as he's a fantastic director and I've always been a fan of the original film. Been looking forward to it for awhile now. How did you see it? Is it on Netflix or something already?

Yep, It was recently added to Netflix. 

22 hours ago, Nokra said:

In anticipation of watching Blade Runner 2049 for the first time tomorrow, I watched the original Blade Runner last night.... also for the first time. :blush: I somehow managed to overlook this movie for years.

The movie has atmosphere in spades, and I like its handling of the issues it deals with (what it means to be human, technology, etc.). I have to admit though I was only watching it on the side while doing other things so I wasn't closely following the dialogue, so I probably didn't get the full experience. Still, I'm excited to see 2049. I'd give the original 8/10. :thumbup:

I'd give the original a 11/10. It's one of my favoite movies next to ALIEN and Star Wars. 

Sicario 2

Not as good as the first one and has one fairly ridiculous coincidence that is central to the climax

6.5/10

Hotel Artemis

For a lower budget movie this thing had everyone in it. Interesting performance by Foster the rest was take it or leave it.

6/10

2 hours ago, darkness35 said:

Castlevania Season 2, currently at episode 3

8/10

Hide contents

I'm loving the small references and odes to the Castlevania lore.  The colorful language however at times could be out of place? 

In regards to your spoiler. I agree. I don’t hate it but it does feel jarringly out of place sometimes. 

6 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

In regards to your spoiler. I agree. I don’t hate it but it does feel jarringly out of place sometimes. 

I'm trying to wonder why they slowed down the pacing in this season.  It feels out of place but although it does make sense why

Spoiler

Dracula seems generally die as the last boss since there's a lot of infighting :P

The Haunting of Hill House, 9.5/10. God damn, that was great. Right amount of legit scares, they nailed the atmosphere, and told a heart wrenching story. 

Castlevania Season 2 8.5/10. Easily the best video game adaptation ever done. It was a bit slow, but good character exploration, the voice acting was solid, music was good, and it was a faithful adaptation of my favorite game series.

35 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Castlevania Season 2 8.5/10. Easily the best video game adaptation ever done. It was a bit slow, but good character exploration, the voice acting was solid, music was good, and it was a faithful adaptation of my favorite game series.

Bless Adi Shankar for giving us a really good adaptation.

Rewatched Blade Runner 2049 and I’m increasingly convinced it’s a modern classic that may well be better than the original. Obviously it’s not going to be more influential and it owes quite a bit to the first film, but like Mad Max, I think the modern incarnation might just be a superior product. It’s gorgeous, it’s thoughtful, it sounds amazing. If Dune is anything close to this caliber, we’re in for a treat.

Haunting of the Hill House

A really good series overall although the finale didn't quite do it for me. The directing in episode 6 is outstanding. Also the show has what might be the single best jump scare ever, you know what one I am talking about if you have seen it.

8/10

Blade Runner - I've never watched it all the way through, mainly as I first attempted when I was about 12, but it was scheduled for a 10pm start and this I had no chance of seeing it through.  I've attempted once afterwards, but lacked the concentration. 

Despite it's age and the borderline silliness of the time-frame it's set in, however I can see how influential it has been on cinema since (especially how sci-fi has been filmed in the past 20 years).  

I did find that I loved the premise, though the last 25 minutes or so felt fairly rushed and for me, lost it's way.  I was however watching the theatrical release and not the directors cut, which memory serves has some changes. 

I'll go with 8/10 however and I'll make sure to watch the follow up in the next week.

On 10/5/2018 at 11:28 PM, 5timechamp said:

Whats everyones (or those who watched it) opinion of the change behind the Predators purpose.... apparently they arent just hunting anymore and are here for a different purpose...

I think its lame, but i guess the "theyre hunting" narrative boxes in the storytelling too much?

It was different and interesting but didn't hurt my thoughts on the creatures. 

On 11/2/2018 at 12:44 AM, TwinIon said:

Rewatched Blade Runner 2049 and I’m increasingly convinced it’s a modern classic that may well be better than the original. Obviously it’s not going to be more influential and it owes quite a bit to the first film, but like Mad Max, I think the modern incarnation might just be a superior product. It’s gorgeous, it’s thoughtful, it sounds amazing. If Dune is anything close to this caliber, we’re in for a treat.

Loved the hell out of this film.