Jump to content
~*Please Support the GoFundMe Campaign for HardAct*~ Read more... ×
johnny

General Entertainment ~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

Recommended Posts

I saw Green Book in the theater here in Germany last night and really enjoyed it. Viggo Mortensen and Mahershala Ali are both wonderful and the story is touching and powerful. 8.5/10 :sun: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

big lebowski

 

I don't know how I have never seen this movie till now. Straddles the line between great Coen flick and nonsense, more on the side of great though. 

 

7/10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bad Times at the El Royale - 5/10

 

Pretty disappointing considering the cast and concept. One plot line was abandoned and another thrown in and it made the movie feel not all that well thought out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Green Book - 2/5 - Broad and regressive, Green Book is a competent film that feels like it was made for another time. 

 

Lego Movie 2 - 2/5 - A lessor film than its predecessor, playing all the same tricks, but without the benefit of novelty or uniqueness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Favourite 4/5 Yorgos Lanthimos’ most accessible film for the mainstream audience but still very much one of his movies. I don’t think it’s as good as The Lobster but Rachel Weisz was definitely the most impressive in this film to me. 

 

Still a few best picture movies to see but only really looking forward to A Star is Born 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Russian Doll - 90%

 

This is probably one of the best Netflix originals and can easily be consumed over a weekend or extended afternoon/evening of viewing.  There really aren't any wasted moments in this show and practically everything "clicks" into place.  The highest compliment I can give the show is simply that I don't need to have another season simply because it all wraps up so very perfectly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Lego Movie 2 - 2/5 - A lessor film than its predecessor, playing all the same tricks, but without the benefit of novelty or uniqueness.

 

What would you rate the three other Lego movies? Just to get a sense of where The Lego Movie 2 fits from your POV?

 

Also, I've heard the same things about Green Book from critics I trust, but if it's truly broad and regressive like I think it is (I haven't seen it yet), why are most people loving it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

What would you rate the three other Lego movies? Just to get a sense of where The Lego Movie 2 fits from your POV?

 

Also, I've heard the same things about Green Book from critics I trust, but if it's truly broad and regressive like I think it is (I haven't seen it yet), why are most people loving it?

I loved the first Lego Movie, didn't think much of Lego Batman, and didn't see the Ninja one. Lego Movie 2 is probably the second best of them, but it still feels more like a lesser imitation of the first. For what it's worth, I've seen plenty of reactions from folks who thought it does measure up.

 

The crowd I saw Green Book with was largely older and they loved it. I think it plays really well on a surface level. It's a classic odd couple pairing. Mahershala gets to wear a cape and Viggo gets to do an over the top Italian accent and make some silly jokes about how much he can eat and how stupid he is. On their road trip they get to teach each other lessons. The white racist teaches the black guy how to be black by embracing racial stereotypes, and the black guy teaches the white guy that black people are people. In the end they determine maybe racism is bad and they're all friends. How could you not embrace such a timely film with such an uplifting message?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How to Train Your Dragon - 5/5 - I love this movie, but it's increasingly apparent how much the animation was held back by the technology. It doesn't make it a worse movie, but things like hair, fur, and particle effects all feel pretty questionable. It goes pretty big at times, but it still feels held back by render times. Still, it's a great setting, and Toothless is an all time great creation. The film is really well paced with Hickup's journey of self discovery and the audience's journey of discovering dragons really building up well.

 

How to Train Your Dragon 2 - 5/5 - Four years later, the technology did not hold back the sequel. I expect the third to improve things further, but this follow up didn't feel limited in any way, and they put all those new effects and scale to excellent use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I loved the first Lego Movie, didn't think much of Lego Batman, and didn't see the Ninja one. Lego Movie 2 is probably the second best of them, but it still feels more like a lesser imitation of the first. For what it's worth, I've seen plenty of reactions from folks who thought it does measure up.

 

The crowd I saw Green Book with was largely older and they loved it. I think it plays really well on a surface level. It's a classic odd couple pairing. Mahershala gets to wear a cape and Viggo gets to do an over the top Italian accent and make some silly jokes about how much he can eat and how stupid he is. On their road trip they get to teach each other lessons. The white racist teaches the black guy how to be black by embracing racial stereotypes, and the black guy teaches the white guy that black people are people. In the end they determine maybe racism is bad and they're all friends. How could you not embrace such a timely film with such an uplifting message?

 

Ah, I think The Lego Movie is the best one, but I really enjoyed The Lego Batman Movie and even The Lego Ninjago Movie was a lot of fun (but not as good as the original or Batman). Interesting - I mean, I won't see The Lego Movie 2 in theaters anyway, but I was curious.

 

And that sounds exactly like what Green Book looks like, and that sounds extremely regressive. That makes its outstanding RottenTomatoes scores even more disheartening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cold Pursuit - Weird/10

 

This movie was not at all what I was expecting. While the trailer did play it up as a fun time, the subject matter seemed serious so I thought that the movie itself was going to be a bit more heavy-handed with the drama. Nope. This movie is at least 50% comedy. Unfortunately that really hinders it as there are some rather serious moments and character-developing scenes that are cut short and squished by the overall tone of the movie. On top of that the movie kind of just ends without knowing what becomes of anything or anybody so it felt a little incomplete. It's worth a Netflix watch though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Masque Of The Red Death

One of Vincent Prices best films, its a horror film made in the mid 60's so it is very much a product of it time. 

 

 

The Plague Of Zombies

Zombie flick from Hammer. Its amazing how we went from this to NOTLD in 2 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Cold Pursuit - Weird/10

 

This movie was not at all what I was expecting. While the trailer did play it up as a fun time, the subject matter seemed serious so I thought that the movie itself was going to be a bit more heavy-handed with the drama. Nope. This movie is at least 50% comedy. Unfortunately that really hinders it as there are some rather serious moments and character-developing scenes that are cut short and squished by the overall tone of the movie. On top of that the movie kind of just ends without knowing what becomes of anything or anybody so it felt a little incomplete. It's worth a Netflix watch though.

 

agreed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

Chappie - 8.5/10

 

The internet said this movie was bad. The internet lied. 

 

 

no, the internet was completely right :p Chappie sucked

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gravity 5/5 

 

i think this is my first time watching this since like 2014 and it’s just as good as I remember it being. Hot damn 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

 

 

no, the internet was completely right :p Chappie sucked

 

Indeed. Chappie was hot garbage, and I'm a Neill Blomkamp apologist. I almost always finish every movie I watch, even bad ones, and I couldn't get through more than an hour of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

 

Indeed. Chappie was hot garbage, and I'm a Neill Blomkamp apologist. I almost always finish every movie I watch, even bad ones, and I couldn't get through more than an hour of it. 

 

well I managed to stick with it the entire way, but damn...ganasta robot!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anna and the Apocalypse - 5/5

 

Christmas movie, zombie film, musical. And it knocks all three out of the park. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The predator - 0/5, nothing about it made any sense, everyone was the worst, and it was outright offensive to people with autism. 

 

How hard is it to make a movie about an alien that comes to earth to trophy hunt humans in warzones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alita: Battle Angel - totally OK. I was kinda hoping that it would either be better or way worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alita: 7/10

 

About as well adapted as I could have hoped for, sans violence, and entertaining if not much else. Just glad there's finally a manga/anime adaptation that doesn't suck complete ass (well, other than Edge of Tomorrow). Flawed but fun imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2019 at 4:09 PM, VKPButcher said:

Alita: 7/10

 

About as well adapted as I could have hoped for, sans violence, and entertaining if not much else. Just glad there's finally a manga/anime adaptation that doesn't suck complete ass (well, other than Edge of Tomorrow). Flawed but fun imo.

 

Speed Racer was a great live-action anime adaptation I thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

 

Speed Racer was a great live-action anime adaptation I thought.

Sad to say I kinda always forget about that one as it's one of the few Wachowski movies I haven't seen. Will need to get around to it at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bad times at the old royale

 

It is not till you watch someone try to make Tarantino film that you really realize what Tarantino can do. The slow musical scenes in this do not work the way they in Tarantino's film. The script was fine for what it was and Daniels gives a great performance but it is unquestionable missing that special touch to take it to the next level.

 

6.5/10 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The parts with Cynthia Erivo singing are probably the best parts of that movie 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, elbobo said:

Bad times at the old royale

 

It is not till you watch someone try to make Tarantino film that you really realize what Tarantino can do. The slow musical scenes in this do not work the way they in Tarantino's film. The script was fine for what it was and Daniels gives a great performance but it is unquestionable missing that special touch to take it to the next level.

 

6.5/10 

 

THANK YOU! I was trying to figure out what the movie reminded me of but in a bad way. That’s exactly what it’s like!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alita: Battle Angel 3.5/5 

 

as somebody who knows nothing about this besides the couple trailers I saw I had no expectations going in. The first half is really cool and the second half kinda falls off a little bit but I thought it was still fine and had some sick sequences. Nothing mind blowing but it was a fun movie. I think it gets in its own way trying to set things up for a sequel, but I do hope it gets one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, VKPButcher said:

Sad to say I kinda always forget about that one as it's one of the few Wachowski movies I haven't seen. Will need to get around to it at some point.

 

Just ignore every scene with the monkey and the young boy and the film is exactly what a live-action Speed Racer should be. It also has a great theme about art vs. commerce and the ending is epic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vice 2/5 

 

waste of time honestly. It has a few good scenes but McKay trying to make this like The Big Short didn’t work. The editing is on point which it needed to be with the amount of times they cut to some kind of graphic or other piece of footage when somebody is talking 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Police Story 1 and 2

 

I'm a huge fan of doing it for real in movies so the actions scenes are pure bliss for me the rest of the movie are a struggle especially the middle 50%+ of the first film and Jackie is not a terribly likable character at least in the first movie.

 

action

:feelsgood:/10

 

 

everything else  4/10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fyre - 3/ 5 - A functional if not terribly exciting look at the beautiful failure that was the Fyre festival.

 

The Wandering Earth - 1/5 - With more CG than a Pixar movie but decidedly less character, The Wandering Earth is a high concept, big budget sci fi film that feels like three bad tv movies strapped together. Like most of its ilk, this is a film that only paints characters with the broadest of boring brushes, making every character beat feel deflated if not entirely unearned. It's also a film that seems confused on the value of sacrifice and the role of government, with conflicting perspectives that never feel part of a cohesive vision.

 

High Flying Bird - 4/5  - An excellent talky sports film that has its own twist on the genre as well as meaningful commentary on the state of the industry, High Flying Bird shows that Soderbergh remains a capable and essential voice in the filmic landscape. The cinematography, both limited and enabled by the choice to shoot on iphones, feels alternatingly like a creative booster and a significant limitation. Still, it's fun to seen an old hat continue to push boundaries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×