~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

The Favourite 4/5 Yorgos Lanthimos’ most accessible film for the mainstream audience but still very much one of his movies. I don’t think it’s as good as The Lobster but Rachel Weisz was definitely the most impressive in this film to me. 

Still a few best picture movies to see but only really looking forward to A Star is Born 

Russian Doll - 90%

This is probably one of the best Netflix originals and can easily be consumed over a weekend or extended afternoon/evening of viewing.  There really aren't any wasted moments in this show and practically everything "clicks" into place.  The highest compliment I can give the show is simply that I don't need to have another season simply because it all wraps up so very perfectly.

20 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Lego Movie 2 - 2/5 - A lessor film than its predecessor, playing all the same tricks, but without the benefit of novelty or uniqueness.

What would you rate the three other Lego movies? Just to get a sense of where The Lego Movie 2 fits from your POV?

Also, I've heard the same things about Green Book from critics I trust, but if it's truly broad and regressive like I think it is (I haven't seen it yet), why are most people loving it?

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

What would you rate the three other Lego movies? Just to get a sense of where The Lego Movie 2 fits from your POV?

Also, I've heard the same things about Green Book from critics I trust, but if it's truly broad and regressive like I think it is (I haven't seen it yet), why are most people loving it?

I loved the first Lego Movie, didn't think much of Lego Batman, and didn't see the Ninja one. Lego Movie 2 is probably the second best of them, but it still feels more like a lesser imitation of the first. For what it's worth, I've seen plenty of reactions from folks who thought it does measure up.

The crowd I saw Green Book with was largely older and they loved it. I think it plays really well on a surface level. It's a classic odd couple pairing. Mahershala gets to wear a cape and Viggo gets to do an over the top Italian accent and make some silly jokes about how much he can eat and how stupid he is. On their road trip they get to teach each other lessons. The white racist teaches the black guy how to be black by embracing racial stereotypes, and the black guy teaches the white guy that black people are people. In the end they determine maybe racism is bad and they're all friends. How could you not embrace such a timely film with such an uplifting message?

How to Train Your Dragon - 5/5 - I love this movie, but it's increasingly apparent how much the animation was held back by the technology. It doesn't make it a worse movie, but things like hair, fur, and particle effects all feel pretty questionable. It goes pretty big at times, but it still feels held back by render times. Still, it's a great setting, and Toothless is an all time great creation. The film is really well paced with Hickup's journey of self discovery and the audience's journey of discovering dragons really building up well.

How to Train Your Dragon 2 - 5/5 - Four years later, the technology did not hold back the sequel. I expect the third to improve things further, but this follow up didn't feel limited in any way, and they put all those new effects and scale to excellent use.

26 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I loved the first Lego Movie, didn't think much of Lego Batman, and didn't see the Ninja one. Lego Movie 2 is probably the second best of them, but it still feels more like a lesser imitation of the first. For what it's worth, I've seen plenty of reactions from folks who thought it does measure up.

The crowd I saw Green Book with was largely older and they loved it. I think it plays really well on a surface level. It's a classic odd couple pairing. Mahershala gets to wear a cape and Viggo gets to do an over the top Italian accent and make some silly jokes about how much he can eat and how stupid he is. On their road trip they get to teach each other lessons. The white racist teaches the black guy how to be black by embracing racial stereotypes, and the black guy teaches the white guy that black people are people. In the end they determine maybe racism is bad and they're all friends. How could you not embrace such a timely film with such an uplifting message?

Ah, I think The Lego Movie is the best one, but I really enjoyed The Lego Batman Movie and even The Lego Ninjago Movie was a lot of fun (but not as good as the original or Batman). Interesting - I mean, I won't see The Lego Movie 2 in theaters anyway, but I was curious.

And that sounds exactly like what Green Book looks like, and that sounds extremely regressive. That makes its outstanding RottenTomatoes scores even more disheartening. 

Cold Pursuit - Weird/10

This movie was not at all what I was expecting. While the trailer did play it up as a fun time, the subject matter seemed serious so I thought that the movie itself was going to be a bit more heavy-handed with the drama. Nope. This movie is at least 50% comedy. Unfortunately that really hinders it as there are some rather serious moments and character-developing scenes that are cut short and squished by the overall tone of the movie. On top of that the movie kind of just ends without knowing what becomes of anything or anybody so it felt a little incomplete. It's worth a Netflix watch though.

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Cold Pursuit - Weird/10

This movie was not at all what I was expecting. While the trailer did play it up as a fun time, the subject matter seemed serious so I thought that the movie itself was going to be a bit more heavy-handed with the drama. Nope. This movie is at least 50% comedy. Unfortunately that really hinders it as there are some rather serious moments and character-developing scenes that are cut short and squished by the overall tone of the movie. On top of that the movie kind of just ends without knowing what becomes of anything or anybody so it felt a little incomplete. It's worth a Netflix watch though.

agreed

On 2/14/2019 at 4:09 PM, VKPButcher said:

Alita: 7/10

About as well adapted as I could have hoped for, sans violence, and entertaining if not much else. Just glad there's finally a manga/anime adaptation that doesn't suck complete ass (well, other than Edge of Tomorrow). Flawed but fun imo.

Speed Racer was a great live-action anime adaptation I thought.

• Like 1

Bad times at the old royale

It is not till you watch someone try to make Tarantino film that you really realize what Tarantino can do. The slow musical scenes in this do not work the way they in Tarantino's film. The script was fine for what it was and Daniels gives a great performance but it is unquestionable missing that special touch to take it to the next level.

6.5/10 

5 hours ago, elbobo said:

Bad times at the old royale

It is not till you watch someone try to make Tarantino film that you really realize what Tarantino can do. The slow musical scenes in this do not work the way they in Tarantino's film. The script was fine for what it was and Daniels gives a great performance but it is unquestionable missing that special touch to take it to the next level.

6.5/10 

THANK YOU! I was trying to figure out what the movie reminded me of but in a bad way. That’s exactly what it’s like!!

Alita: Battle Angel 3.5/5 

as somebody who knows nothing about this besides the couple trailers I saw I had no expectations going in. The first half is really cool and the second half kinda falls off a little bit but I thought it was still fine and had some sick sequences. Nothing mind blowing but it was a fun movie. I think it gets in its own way trying to set things up for a sequel, but I do hope it gets one. 

16 hours ago, VKPButcher said:

Sad to say I kinda always forget about that one as it's one of the few Wachowski movies I haven't seen. Will need to get around to it at some point.

Just ignore every scene with the monkey and the young boy and the film is exactly what a live-action Speed Racer should be. It also has a great theme about art vs. commerce and the ending is epic.

Vice 2/5 

waste of time honestly. It has a few good scenes but McKay trying to make this like The Big Short didn’t work. The editing is on point which it needed to be with the amount of times they cut to some kind of graphic or other piece of footage when somebody is talking 

Police Story 1 and 2

I'm a huge fan of doing it for real in movies so the actions scenes are pure bliss for me the rest of the movie are a struggle especially the middle 50%+ of the first film and Jackie is not a terribly likable character at least in the first movie.

action

:feelsgood:/10

everything else  4/10

Fyre - 3/ 5 - A functional if not terribly exciting look at the beautiful failure that was the Fyre festival.

The Wandering Earth - 1/5 - With more CG than a Pixar movie but decidedly less character, The Wandering Earth is a high concept, big budget sci fi film that feels like three bad tv movies strapped together. Like most of its ilk, this is a film that only paints characters with the broadest of boring brushes, making every character beat feel deflated if not entirely unearned. It's also a film that seems confused on the value of sacrifice and the role of government, with conflicting perspectives that never feel part of a cohesive vision.

High Flying Bird - 4/5  - An excellent talky sports film that has its own twist on the genre as well as meaningful commentary on the state of the industry, High Flying Bird shows that Soderbergh remains a capable and essential voice in the filmic landscape. The cinematography, both limited and enabled by the choice to shoot on iphones, feels alternatingly like a creative booster and a significant limitation. Still, it's fun to seen an old hat continue to push boundaries.