~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

Sorcerer (1977)

An incredibly pessimistic and typically angry New Hollywood outlook of the 70's mixed with a brilliant Tangerine Dream score, great acting, some incredibly real feeling sense of danger and nearly biblical implications to it all made this a total winner for me. I had this one my 'must watch' list for years and years and I finally sat down with it last night. The prologues were just a tad too chewed-on as far as I'm concerned so I'll knock it a bit. Also, Roy Scheider isn't a terribly convincing bad guy. 

9/10

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

I haven't seen the movie yet (can't wait) but that's just most men in real life bro. Not a caricature, from my experience anyway. 

Most men I've met don't have any "nuance". 

Come on, every guy you know cheats on their spouse and/or is a criminal?

11 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

Come on, every guy you know cheats on their spouse and/or is a criminal?

You didn't just list infidelity or criminal, I bolded your entire list.

Separately, yeah, most men are on the spectrum of pieces of shit (and I'm a guy) in my experience. Most, not all. When I watch movies filled with mostly despicable men (Triple 9, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Heat, Goodfellas, take your pick) it feels pretty true to life for me in terms of ego and personality of differing types of a certain kind of man that is ubiquitous in our current society. 

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

You didn't just list infidelity or criminal, I bolded your entire list.

Separately, yeah, most men are on the spectrum of pieces of shit (and I'm a guy) in my experience. Most, not all. When I watch movies filled with mostly despicable men (Triple 9, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Heat, Goodfellas, take your pick) it feels pretty true to life for me in terms of ego and personality of differing types of a certain kind of man that is ubiquitous in our current society. 

Well I beg to differ, I know plenty of guys that aren't complete shitbags and I went through business school. 

But yeah I get it, it's a heist movie so most of the characters lie on the spectrum of "not so moral".  But the shows/movies you listed, they weren't caricatures.  Walter White was a total a-hole, yet there were many viewers that were still kind of rooting for him at the end.  That's the nuance I'm talking about, some redeeming qualities that exist.  Gus Fring was terrifyingly cold and evil, yet his motivations were understood.  Widows had a guy that might as well have just been screaming the n-word the whole time.  Or had other completely one-dimensional characters whose sole purpose was to serve as a plot vehicle.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

Well I beg to differ, I know plenty of guys that aren't complete shitbags and I went through business school. 

But yeah I get it, it's a heist movie so most of the characters lie on the spectrum of "not so moral".  But the shows/movies you listed, they weren't caricatures.  Walter White was a total a-hole, yet there were many viewers that were still kind of rooting for him at the end.  That's the nuance I'm talking about, some redeeming qualities that exist.  Gus Fring was terrifyingly cold and evil, yet his motivations were understood.  Widows had a guy that might as well have just been screaming the n-word the whole time.  Or had other completely one-dimensional characters whose sole purpose was to serve as a plot vehicle.

I said most men, not all. I know plenty of normal guys too, I just think there are plenty of real life shitty men who have no nuance in real life. Sure, in shows/movies they add nuance unless someone is an outright villain, but in real life sometimes men are just shitbags. I haven't seen the movie, so I can't speak to this movie, I was just bolding the part of your post I was addressing, which is in a vacuum there are lots of shitty men without nuance in real life, so portraying that accurately in a film would be a good thing, not a bad thing, per se.

The movie is co-written and directed by Steve McQueen, one of my all-time favorite auteurs (I mean, he did Hunger, Shame, and 12 Years a Slave) and Widows is sitting pretty with really high ratings on both RottenTomatoes and IMDb, so I'm not sure why you didn't like the film, but to criticize a film for having almost exclusively shitty male characters "without nuance" could be a criticism, but could also simply be true to life, depending on what the movie was going for, that's all I'm saying and was trying to draw attention to. I imagine, with a film called Widows, gender dynamics are an important part of the film. The rest of your criticisms of the film seemed entirely believable to me, but the part about male caricatures stood out. :)

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/widows_2018

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4218572/?ref_=nv_sr_1

• Thanks 1

It is important, but it is done in a matter that is extremely heavy handed.  Also, the male characters are only one facet of why I didn't care for the movie.

7.5 on IMDB is good, but doesn't compare to the 8's that are truly in the great range.  RT's audience rating is 66%, which is pretty bad given the high critic score.

And this is MY OPINION of the movie.  I will recognize the quality of film making, some of the shots are done beautifully.  I just didn't enjoy it overall.

• Thanks 1

I thought Colin Farrell and Bryan Tyree Henry DO have multiple dimensions to their characters but at the end of the day they are who they are. They’re merely supporting characters anyways, it’s not a big deal. Daniel Kaluuya is obviously the “muscle”. I don’t know why you’re asking for so much out of the like 10-15 different characters in the film. Besides Neeson, the other heist guys are barely in the film because the WOMEN are more important. The only male character who I thought was meh was Robert Duvall. 

Spider Web Girl Trap Thing forgot the title - 2/10 - Because the original wasn't a blockbuster Sony was scared to make a sequel to a movie that was cold, brooding, and very uncomfortable in a lot of ways, but very good. So they made a movie that was cold, disinterested, and very uncomfortable in all the wrong ways--mostly type cast acting from Central Casting that you just can't buy into--and just boring and bad. Then they released it at the same time of year. Surely this was a recipe for success.

Lisbeth Salander was a loner who took matters into her own hands when something horrific happened to her. Now I guess that automatically made her goth James Bond and now she's a super spy trying to gun down and fist fight a crime syndicate that's going to nuke the world... And this time it's personal. Also, she tortures men who beat up prostitutes for fun I guess. On the side.

Claire Foy left The Crown for this? Ugh. The guy that played Michael Blomqvist was boring as hell and looked like random Russian soldier from GoldenEye 64.

Sony... What the fuck is this nonsense?

11 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Spider Web Girl Trap Thing forgot the title - 2/10 - Because the original wasn't a blockbuster Sony was scared to make a sequel to a movie that was cold, brooding, and very uncomfortable in a lot of ways, but very good. So they made a movie that was cold, disinterested, and very uncomfortable in all the wrong ways--mostly type cast acting from Central Casting that you just can't buy into--and just boring and bad. Then they released it at the same time of year. Surely this was a recipe for success.

Lisbeth Salander was a loner who took matters into her own hands when something horrific happened to her. Now I guess that automatically made her goth James Bond and now she's a super spy trying to gun down and fist fight a crime syndicate that's going to nuke the world... And this time it's personal. Also, she tortures men who beat up prostitutes for fun I guess. On the side.

Claire Foy left The Crown for this? Ugh. The guy that played Michael Blomqvist was boring as hell and looked like random Russian soldier from GoldenEye 64.

Sony... What the fuck is this nonsense?

Just to clear a few things up: 

1. Claire Foy didn't leave The Crown - The Crown is doing a big time jump between season 2 and 3 so they had to recast the roles of the Queen and Phillip. It was always part of the plan. 

2. The Girl in the Spider's Web is the first novel in the Millenium book series not to be written by original author Stieg Larsson (considering his own books were only discovered and published posthumously, there were never going to be "more books" beyond the first 3) and I think that makes all the difference in terms of Lisbeth's character. I haven't read the books but some guy named David Lagercrantz wrote this and its sequel "The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye" (no joke with that title). Stick to the original trilogy. 

3. I was really pissed Sony didn't fund David Fincher and his cast to do the two sequels to the American remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, as I think that movie is highly underrated. So I'm with you on this bullshit of them skipping to the fourth book and releasing . . . whatever this movie is. 

24 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Just to clear a few things up: 

1. Claire Foy didn't leave The Crown - The Crown is doing a big time jump between season 2 and 3 so they had to recast the roles of the Queen and Phillip. It was always part of the plan. 

2. The Girl in the Spider's Web is the first novel in the Millenium book series not to be written by original author Stieg Larsson (considering his own books were only discovered and published posthumously, there were never going to be "more books" beyond the first 3) and I think that makes all the difference in terms of Lisbeth's character. I haven't read the books but some guy named David Lagercrantz wrote this and its sequel "The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye" (no joke with that title). Stick to the original trilogy. 

3. I was really pissed Sony didn't fund David Fincher and his cast to do the two sequels to the American remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, as I think that movie is highly underrated. So I'm with you on this bullshit of them skipping to the fourth book and releasing . . . whatever this movie is. 

I didn't know that there were additional books being written besides Larsson's. I also had no idea they were making movies out of them like this one. This knowledge makes it so much worse of a movie. What a terrible idea. And yes, terrible title for that other book. I mean my God. They changed the Swedish title "Men Who Hate Women" to the title we know and love. Now they're coming up with awful titles too. Terrible. Just fucking terrible.

6 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I didn't know that there were additional books being written besides Larsson's. I also had no idea they were making movies out of them like this one. This knowledge makes it so much worse of a movie. What a terrible idea. And yes, terrible title for that other book. I mean my God. They changed the Swedish title "Men Who Hate Women" to the title we know and love. Now they're coming up with awful titles too. Terrible. Just fucking terrible.

It was like how Eric Van Lustbader took over writing books in the Bourne series of novels after original author Robert Ludlum passed away (he wrote the first three books in the series - the books and the films are nothing alike, however). Same with Dune - Frank Herbert wrote the first 6 books in the series, then after he passed away his son Brian Herbert and author Kevin J. Anderson took over the franchise and kept writing more books, to ever diminishing returns. 

Source material matters - you can't just replace a Robert Ludlum, Frank Herbert, or Stiegg Larsson and think you'll get the same quality in the books, much less their movie adaptations. The TV version of the original Swedish trilogy (the TV version is longer and better) is up on Netflix I believe, everyone should go watch that instead. :p 

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

It was like how Eric Van Lustbader took over writing books in the Bourne series of novels after original author Robert Ludlum passed away (he wrote the first three books in the series - the books and the films are nothing alike, however). Same with Dune - Frank Herbert wrote the first 6 books in the series, then after he passed away his son Brian Herbert and author Kevin J. Anderson took over the franchise and kept writing more books, to ever diminishing returns. 

Source material matters - you can't just replace a Robert Ludlum, Frank Herbert, or Stiegg Larsson and think you'll get the same quality in the books, much less their movie adaptations. The TV version of the original Swedish trilogy (the TV version is longer and better) is up on Netflix I believe, everyone should go watch that instead. :p 

Are you talking about the movie trilogy (and it being made for TV) or an actual TV series? I liked the original Swedish movies.

1 minute ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Are you talking about the movie trilogy (and it being made for TV) or an actual TV series? I liked the original Swedish movies.

Sorry, to be clear, they took the original trilogy of films and added in material when they aired the trilogy for TV purposes. A lot more character developing scenes, etc. I liked the TV miniseries version even more than the trilogy of films it was expanded from. 

3 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Prisoner of Azkaban wasn't a bad movie but it pissed me off with how much they left out from the books. Especially the history of the Marauder's Map. 

They left a ton of shit out of order of the Phoenix that I felt was actually important so I feel you 

Just now, johnny said:

They left a ton of shit out of order of the Phoenix that I felt was actually important so I feel you 

Half Blood Prince was my favorite book, but they left out so much regarding Voldemort's history, that the movie was a big disappointment. 

I mean, I get it, because the later books were so huge, but Prisoner of Azkaban wasn't THAT long, so they could have included a bit more. 

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Half Blood Prince was my favorite book, but they left out so much regarding Voldemort's history, that the movie was a big disappointment. 

I mean, I get it, because the later books were so huge, but Prisoner of Azkaban wasn't THAT long, so they could have included a bit more. 

True. I think Azkaban is the best book and it has the best director in the whole series behind it. I remember a video with him and JK saying that he picked a theme and focused on that rather than trying to include a bunch of stuff. 

11 minutes ago, johnny said:

True. I think Azkaban is the best book and it has the best director in the whole series behind it. I remember a video with him and JK saying that he picked a theme and focused on that rather than trying to include a bunch of stuff. 

Fair enough. 

I just wanted a little of the backstory between the Marauders! :cry:

I still enjoy all the movies. But the books will always reign supreme. 

The Last Kingdom: Season 3--5000/10

I honestly can't overstate just how good this show is. One of the very rare times that, as a book reader, I am completely satisfied with the translation. The shows nails it on every single front. 

This show IS better than both Vikings AND Game of Thrones. 

They Shall Not Grow Old

A technical marvel showing WWI footage like you would not imagine is even possible. Also a completely unflinching documentary about the horror and absolute waste of war.

9/10

20 Feet from Stardom

great documentary about backup singers 

8/10

• Thanks 1

Green Book — 10/10

Quite possibly my favorite movie of the year.  This movie has a ton of charm and heart and the humor is on point within the context of the narrative.  The dynamic between Mahershala Ali and Viggo Mortensen is fantastic, Mortensen is particular gives an Oscar worthy performance.