~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

21 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

A Cure for Wellness - 3.5

Some really great, uncomfortable imagery. I just felt it didn't go far enough out there. 

I watched like 30 minutes but was tired so I turned it off. Wasn’t sure if I should come back to it. 

Murder on the Orient Express: 8/10

Not as good as the original which is one of my favorite movies but still really good. Branagh was phenomenal as Poirot.  Not sure how it did commercially but I’d love for him to keep playing the character. It’s a genre that I really love and hasn’t been represented well in 30 years or so. 

Figured it would be a good time to start this thread since we have a fresh start and there is so much TV out there now to watch with all the streaming options.

@SFLUFAN can you sticky this and the movie thread when you get a chance

Billions season 3

This is a consistently excellent series with extremely fun and interesting secondary and minor characters. It also has to have the geekiest writers of any non-geeky show around. This season had a Netrunner tournament, discussion about what Rush's best album is and a 2 minute dissertation on the movie Pi.

9/10

Pacific Rim 2

Awful and I say this as someone that loved the first one warts and all. They went full anime for this one and it is a mess, gone are heavy feeling mechs from the previous film replaced with quick light ones piloted by kids of course. The plot and villain are just a mess and the climax is hot garbage. 

3/10

The Terror 10/10

Didnt see this show getting talked about a lot in here because “the incident” but holy shit was it a great show. Great performances, AMAZING villian and a very cool setting. AMC is killing it with everything without “walking dead” in the title. 

Silicon Valley - Seasons 1-5

I binged this show over the few weeks and overall enjoyed it.

Biggest issue is the constant resetting of the progress the company makes, seemingly every 5 episodes or so they are back to being broke and having no employees, hopefully with the events of season 5 this is finally over. Also it seems like almost all the good jokes after the first season are based around Jared or at least all the ones I laughed at, I find the character hilarious but they need to spread the humor around more. I hate Dinesh and not fully in the he is supposed to be kind of annoying way the writers intend but more the "ugh a Dinesh scene" when he comes up on the screen. 

I wonder if they will recast the Bachman role since Miller might be going to jail, the character did add a lot to the group scenes IMO.

7/10

Jaws

10/10

Yesterday was the movie's 43rd Anniversery so I rewatched it. Such a great movie. It really stands the test of time. Sure the shark looks fake . It looked fake when it came out but you really can look past that and the fact they couldn't get the shark to work so they used barrels and the camera it works so well.

6 hours ago, elbobo said:

Silicon Valley - Seasons 1-5

I binged this show over the few weeks and overall enjoyed it.

Biggest issue is the constant resetting of the progress the company makes, seemingly every 5 episodes or so they are back to being broke and having no employees, hopefully with the events of season 5 this is finally over. Also it seems like almost all the good jokes after the first season are based around Jared or at least all the ones I laughed at, I find the character hilarious but they need to spread the humor around more. I hate Dinesh and not fully in the he is supposed to be kind of annoying way the writers intend but more the "ugh a Dinesh scene" when he comes up on the screen. 

I wonder if they will recast the Bachman role since Miller might be going to jail, the character did add a lot to the group scenes IMO.

7/10

No, he wasn’t on the last season and it was better without him. 

Atlanta: Robbin' Season (aka season 2) - 5/5.

Donald Glover and his creative team continue to do phenomenal work in this show. The episode "Teddy Perkins" will stay with me for quite awhile.

Mozart in the Jungle: seasons 1 thru 4 (aka the whole show) - 3.5/5. 

My wife and I binge watched this Amazon Prime Video original series and it was quite good actually! It's fun and funny and you gain a lot more respect for orchestras by watching the show (if one didn't have respect for them already). It's ultimately a weightless series though, and without a lot of substance the show can only rate so high. However, I'd still recommend it to anyone looking for something more fun and less stressful to watch, the performances are dynamite and it's really well shot and directed. The show ends on both what could be considered a closing point or a cliffhanger, as the show was cancelled after season 4. I think it ends on an appropriate enough note, but fair warning. 

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Somehow even dumber than the first movie and every character is a caricature.  There really isn't a plot, other than they used any excuse to string together the scenes where dinosaurs are in places they shouldn't be or doing things they wouldn't normally do.  

And they somehow, somehow even after the last one, wringed out even more nostalgia from of the first film, and of course re-hashed the same beats and surprises.

They've gone full Bay-Transformers.

8 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Somehow even dumber than the first movie and every character is a caricature.  There really isn't a plot, other than they used any excuse to string together the scenes where dinosaurs are in places they shouldn't be or doing things they wouldn't normally do.  

And they somehow, somehow even after the last one, wringed out even more nostalgia from of the first film, and of course re-hashed the same beats and surprises.

It's written by the guys who wrote and directed the first movie. The guy who directed this one, J.A. Bayona, is a fantastic director, but no one can save a terrible screenplay. Even I'm surprised how bad it looks though, but you add Colin Trevorrow to something it's gonna be bad. 

Ocean 8 - 5/10 - No chemistry, bad script, and a boring heist. My wife is a huge fan of the Ocean movies and hated this movie. 

Side note: Sandra Bullock looks great for her age but she had too much plastic surgery on her face. It is sad that actors/actresses feel the need to do it. 

19 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

saw it today and it was exactly what I expected

Deadpool 2 - 8/10

Just a stupidly fun ride. I didn't go more than two or three minutes at a time without laughing; however, by movie's end, the relentless hijinks had worn thin on me. It's like the friend you never get to know because they just joke all the time or make a joke out of every situation. At some point, you grow tired of the show and begin wanting more, wanting to dig below the surface so you can build a lasting attachment to the person. Bonds are formed in the trenches, in the muck. Through two movies, I have zero attachment to the Deadpool character. The franchise could cease today, and I wouldn't care. I'm not invested, so it all begins to feel a bit pointless. 

That said, as a two-hour slice of entertainment, it does it's job. It fully entertains for those two hours, but it won't stick with you afterwards, won't make a lasting impression on your life. 

1 hour ago, elbobo said:

Tomb Raider

a perfectly fine unremarkable film that borrows heavily from the reboot game. I guess it is remarkable in the fact that it is a video game movie and it is not terrible. 

6.5/10

Agreed. Also, Alicia Vikander gave a fantastic performance. She was above and beyond the rest of the cast (unfortunately).

• Like 1

Lost In Space - the new one

Fairly good with a few annoying things including my biggest pet peeve, major problems that could be solved if characters talked to each other for 2 minutes. The effects on this series are excellent, no exaggeration major movie good at times. 

6.5/10

Archer Danger Island

This was my favorite of the alternate universe Archer seasons but they are all a hollow shell of the greatness that was the first 4 seasons

6/10

Westworld Season 1 - 8/10

ive been told a few times to try this series. Watched the first episode a while ago but it didn’t hook me so never continued. Then I’ve heard good things about season 2. So this weekend I decided to give it a try again. Ep1 was as slow as i remembered but i muscled through and by ep3 it really picked up steam and hooked me. I binged 9 full episodes this weekend leaving the season finale and i have to say it is a great show. Some pacing issues but the acting and imagery are great. 

Handmaids Tale Season 2 - 6.5/10

They're clearly trying to find their pace after they ran out of book to adapt.  Lots of things just don't really make sense in the context of the show.  It's kind of crazy that Canada has this whole "we believe the women" moment because they got a bunch of letters, meanwhile they've got thousands of refuges from Gilead who would be telling them the same stuff in person for years.