Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse reviews are coming in

SaysWho?

That was a great movie.   

I had a few issues with the animation.  It seems whenever Miles dad is around the animation skips like it's missing frames.  I'm not sure if that is supposed to symbolize something or not but it was a little hard to look at.  Also some of the blur effects were a touch too blurry for me.  But those were all stylistic decisions.  Everyone has opinions and I'm sure others will love how all that was done.  Overall was a really great movie.

I'm not sure how all the rights work out but I would love it if they would introduce Miles in a live action Spider-man movie - then maybe give him a live action show on the new Disney network.

48 minutes ago, number305 said:

That was a great movie.   

I had a few issues with the animation.  It seems whenever Miles dad is around the animation skips like it's missing frames.  I'm not sure if that is supposed to symbolize something or not but it was a little hard to look at.  Also some of the blur effects were a touch too blurry for me.  But those were all stylistic decisions.  Everyone has opinions and I'm sure others will love how all that was done.  Overall was a really great movie.

I'm not sure how all the rights work out but I would love it if they would introduce Miles in a live action Spider-man movie - then maybe give him a live action show on the new Disney network.

Well when it comes to the spider universe we are talking Sony really, so I won't be surprised if we see a buttload of new Spider-Man flicks...a bunch were already either hinted at or announced if I recall correctly. Hope they don't run the franchise into the ground....also I agree with you about the animation. 

I think that Into the Spider-Verse is the most visually inventive CG animated film ever, and could enter the conversation for best looking animated films of all time.

That said, I really wish they hadn't animated on twos. If you're not aware, the basic idea is that if you animate on ones, you're drawing a frame of animation for every frame of the film. If you animate on twos, you're drawing a new animation for every other frame (though they still capture the full 24 or 30 frames). It's more common in older animation and in anime, especially anime where they need to save money. With Spider-Verse, I think it just makes it look jankey. If anything I wish they'd varied it, falling back to twos for certain story beats, rather than keeping it that way throughout (at least I think it was throughout).

Still, like I said, there is so much to praise about the animation and the style of the film. It seamlessly blends so much together and feels more comic book like than any comic book film ever, and I mean that as a real compliment. Breaking the screen into panels, using squiggles and lines, and bubbles, and color distortion (not sure what the right term is for that), all create a feeling that borrows from drawings on the page, but they're all used so purposefully. They're not just flourishes to remind you this was a comic book, they're using the techniques that comic books use to great effect. It's not wholly new, but it's done so well, and blended with so many other things that it's a visual feast all the way through.

I saw this in 3D because that was the screening that fit into my schedule, and I'd actually recommend it. The 3D was seamless and as well integrated into the animation as any of the other techniques used.

Animation aside, the movie is also just great. I don't think it's necessarily the best Spider-Man movie ever (Spider-Man 2 does still exist), but it's really great. 

Seriously... this movie needs to make lots of money.

A family movie that isn't primarily targeted toward 5-6 year olds? A movie that is kid friendly, but not pandering or moronic? A kids movie that is actually smart and interesting? An animated movie with a daring over-the-top art style instead of the same old thing we've seen a million times?

Yes please.

2 minutes ago, ort said:

A family movie that isn't primarily targeted toward 5-6 year olds? A movie that is kid friendly, but not pandering or moronic? A kids movie that is actually smart and interesting? An animated movie with a daring over-the-top art style instead of the same old thing we've seen a million times?

Yes please.

How bout a Spider-Man movie with tons of villains that doesn't feel like it needs to explain the backstory to every single one?

2 hours ago, ort said:

Yes please.

It's why I love great Pixar movies. Kids will love it but adults will likely appreciate it more.

I’ve seen it three times now and golly is this flick my jam. My kids love Miles. Any suggestions from comic book fans on what I could pick up for my kids to read with him in it?

Watched it this morning with my wife. Really fantastic film. I caught myself feeling some emotions that I didn't expect. I noticed the frame rate thing as well but figured it was just by design.

Also, I'm somewhat sensitive to flashing lights/colors, there were a few scenes that I had to close my eyes for a moment as my eyes/head started feeling weird.

49 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I’ve seen it three times now and golly is this flick my jam. My kids love Miles. Any suggestions from comic book fans on what I could pick up for my kids to read with him in it?

Pick up any if the Miles Morales trades,  they also just launched a new comic with him last week to coincide with the movie. Lastly get the original Spider-verse crossover the movie takes it's name from. The premise is completely different.

• 2 weeks later...

Sony considering TV Spin-offs based on "Into The Spider-verse"

Sony has a parade of big-budget sequels on the way — “Men in Black: International” arrives in June — and the studio is aggressively mining the rights it holds to Marvel characters in the Spider-Man comics family. To that end, movies based on Morbius, Black Cat and Silver Sable are in the works; the Sinister Six could be Sony’s answer to “The Avengers.” Sony is also considering making animated television shows based on characters introduced in “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse,” which has collected $276 million at the box office.

• 2 months later...

I'm torn on if I should buy the BD asap or if I should wait. While the Disney Marvel films basically never go on sale, Homecoming became cheap very quickly. I want to pick this up on 4K BD, I think I'm going to wait a little while and see if it gets cheaper.

7 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I'm torn on if I should buy the BD asap or if I should wait. While the Disney Marvel films basically never go on sale, Homecoming became cheap very quickly. I want to pick this up on 4K BD, I think I'm going to wait a little while and see if it gets cheaper.

I bought it on Amazon streaming :p It's surely not the best quality but these days I'm increasingly preferring my personally owned movies in the cloud.

6 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

It's Sony so yes the movie will likely go on sale fairly quickly. That being said, I snagged to today because I had some BB reward I needed to use and really didn't feel like waiting to see this one again. 

I just saw this today, and admittedly I'm not a Spider-man guy, so watching this was kinda "whatever" for me. And actually, because I saw a clip of this movie during the Venom end credits (a movie I disliked), Spider-verse was a bad taste in my mouth before sitting down to watch the entire thing...

But, I can easily say the humor was funny when it was funny, and the animation was fluent. But maybe because I wasn't "wowed" with all the Easter eggs from the franchise and knew little about the different characters showing up on screen that I just thought it was merely "okay". Better than the worst DC animated movie, but nowhere near better than the best DC animated movie (and I do admit I'm a DC guy over Marvel).

I do think that Spider-verse was being pulled in just too many different directions, though. The absurdly great design of The Kingpin was sadly never matched in tone by any other character. The slapstick humor was reduced to one or two scenes, and never remained consistent to really enjoy throughout. And the biggest problem in my eyes was the exposure of all the different characters as being too limited. You only ever saw them as a group, and each one was only allowed a very small moment to be the focus of any one scene. And again, because I don't know the characters in the franchise, I would have liked to have seen each of them have bigger solo moments just to get used to them. I did love the ending after-credits scene, and wish more of the main movie was about the Spider-heroes bouncing off each other like 2099 and 60's Spidey did rather than there being a random group who are forced to work together to take down multiple villain characters (who were given little backgrounds of their own).

C grade.

54 minutes ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

I just saw this today, and admittedly I'm not a Spider-man guy, so watching this was kinda "whatever" for me. And actually, because I saw a clip of this movie during the Venom end credits (a movie I disliked), Spider-verse was a bad taste in my mouth before sitting down to watch the entire thing...

But, I can easily say the humor was funny when it was funny, and the animation was fluent. But maybe because I wasn't "wowed" with all the Easter eggs from the franchise and knew little about the different characters showing up on screen that I just thought it was merely "okay". Better than the worst DC animated movie, but nowhere near better than the best DC animated movie (and I do admit I'm a DC guy over Marvel).

I do think that Spider-verse was being pulled in just too many different directions, though. The absurdly great design of The Kingpin was sadly never matched in tone by any other character. The slapstick humor was reduced to one or two scenes, and never remained consistent to really enjoy throughout. And the biggest problem in my eyes was the exposure of all the different characters as being too limited. You only ever saw them as a group, and each one was only allowed a very small moment to be the focus of any one scene. And again, because I don't know the characters in the franchise, I would have liked to have seen each of them have bigger solo moments just to get used to them. I did love the ending after-credits scene, and wish more of the main movie was about the Spider-heroes bouncing off each other like 2099 and 60's Spidey did rather than there being a random group who are forced to work together to take down multiple villain characters (who were given little backgrounds of their own).

C grade.

C? Fucking clown score