Jump to content
~*Please Support the GoFundMe Campaign for HardAct*~ Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
HardAct

PC Tech I need advice on a gaming laptop

Recommended Posts

I'm strongly looking at this laptop MSI

 

As many know, 2 weeks ago we lost our home and everything in it. Complete restart. I have just my phone {a note 8} and a Nintendo Switch without the Dock as it was in the house at the time of the Camp Fire. I'm looking for a great all around PC for my wife and I for everyday use, but also for gaming as I have lost everything. I had a great 980Ti gaming PC and was just about to pull the trigger on a new PC featuring a 2080Ti when life smacked us a few times in a row. So, a gaming PC is a ways off now. I ask you guys if you think the Laptop I linked to would give me the pleasures my PC did [other than it was hooked to a 65" Samsung 4k TV!], other than heat, it looks like maxed out 1080p gaming it could handle?  Thought guys? It's on sale and I need a Laptop, so what do you PC guys think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That laptop is very good, but I’d have to keep money in mind with your situation. I’m assuming it has to be smtn like best buy so you can pick it up as you don’t have an address. I’d suggest maybe https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-tuf-gaming-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hdd-256gb-solid-state-drive/6297095.p?skuId=6297095 - will still be great for 1080p gaming and you save about $600 for other things.

 

Edit: I mean honesty I would just get a cheap productivity laptop and maybe a couple new switch games and save your money for more important things. But whatever helps you get through this, so given that I’d say maybe a 1060 laptop that is a bit cheaper like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That MSI is specced pretty much the same as my Gigabyte Aero 15X, I love the hell out of this laptop.

The battery life on the one you listed, mine and the one pikachu listed are all in the 8-9 hour range which is fantastic for such a powerful machine, I think you'd be happy with any of them honestly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2018 at 11:56 PM, stepee said:

That laptop is very good, but I’d have to keep money in mind with your situation. I’m assuming it has to be smtn like best buy so you can pick it up as you don’t have an address. I’d suggest maybe https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-tuf-gaming-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hdd-256gb-solid-state-drive/6297095.p?skuId=6297095 - will still be great for 1080p gaming and you save about $600 for other things.

 

Edit: I mean honesty I would just get a cheap productivity laptop and maybe a couple new switch games and save your money for more important things. But whatever helps you get through this, so given that I’d say maybe a 1060 laptop that is a bit cheaper like this.

    Well I bought it at best buy using the 18 months no interest financing!

 

     I know it was expensive, but we needed a laptop and I didn't want a cheap ass one only to hate it and buy another one down the road. Thanks for the replies. I wont be gaming on it per say right away, as I stated, the WiFi here at the Baymont INN Sucks so bad. I had such amazing WiFi and internet connections at my house we lost. So fast, wifi in the 150mbs range, and all my Computers and consoles were wired for even faster connections. Man the things we take for granted, this is like dial up lol. So no downloading anything of real size here.

     We are consistently being asked to print this out, email this, sign that, etc. My phone was starting to piss me off, so limited.

     

      I did buy Runner 3 for the switch and it took a few hours to download and it's only 30+ MBs. I hope this laptop rocks, ill be testing it out here and there. The wife loves typing on it already. I love that it has an HDMI out for up to 3 monitors, so has a few different configurations and ways to be utilized. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, HardAct said:

    Well I bought it at best buy using the 18 months no interest financing!

 

     I know it was expensive, but we needed a laptop and I didn't want a cheap ass one only to hate it and buy another one down the road. Thanks for the replies. I wont be gaming on it per say right away, as I stated, the WiFi here at the Baymont INN Sucks so bad. I had such amazing WiFi and internet connections at my house we lost. So fast, wifi in the 150mbs range, and all my Computers and consoles were wired for even faster connections. Man the things we take for granted, this is like dial up lol. So no downloading anything of real size here.

     We are consistently being asked to print this out, email this, sign that, etc. My phone was starting to piss me off, so limited.

     

      I did buy Runner 3 for the switch and it took a few hours to download and it's only 30+ MBs. I hope this laptop rocks, ill be testing it out here and there. The wife loves typing on it already. I love that it has an HDMI out for up to 3 monitors, so has a few different configurations and ways to be utilized. 

 

Yeah, I thought after I said that, that you would want a laptop you will want to keep after you get things settled. It’s a great laptop! Any specific game you want? I got you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2018 at 10:50 PM, stepee said:

 

Yeah, I thought after I said that, that you would want a laptop you will want to keep after you get things settled. It’s a great laptop! Any specific game you want? I got you.

Awesome Offer,

   Like I said i do no think I could even download anything of any  significance with this Hotels wifi. . . . I'll think about it and get back to you!! If you really mean it that is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, HardAct said:

Awesome Offer,

   Like I said i do no think I could even download anything of any  significance with this Hotels wifi. . . . I'll think about it and get back to you!! If you really mean it that is?

 

Of course! I don’t know how pc disc games work now, maybe you could get one at best buy I could pay for? What do you want to play? Sure we can figure it out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, stepee said:

 

Of course! I don’t know how pc disc games work now, maybe you could get one at best buy I could pay for? 

 

They don’t exist other than blizzard and EA games  :p 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

 

They don’t exist other than blizzard and EA games  :p 

They're both just codes in the box or the disc just has an installer to download everything :(

 

Last two I did were Overwatch and Titanfall 2. Had to download the entire game.

 

FYI I like the original MSI laptop. 0.7" thick and a 1070 and only 4lbs. A few of the others were quite a bit thicker and heavier. I'm one to lean towards paying a premium and going high-end though but $2000USD is a lot. If you intend to mostly connect the system to a TV and use a controller, size and weight are irrelevant and the one with a GTX 1060 will be fine to run most games well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kevwil said:

Last two I did were Overwatch and Titanfall 2. Had to download the entire game.

 

Yeah those are the only two "physical" pc games I got as well. I guess I was mainly just saying it as "PC Games you can buy in an actual store" more than "PC game you buy and it has a disc in it" though statement still holds true for Sims and Starcraft if they are still selling them. :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was looking at battlefield v, but I'm sure the install is a huge one, at least 70gigs! Plus I'd have download EA's origin right? I went to the laundromat a mile away and they had way better wifi. So I could just sit in their parking lot and download anything in an hour or so ....lol. 

 

Never had to ever think of stealing wifi to get my game on. I'll download Origin tonight and see how big Battlefield V i

 

We literally have just 2 duffle bags of clothes. A large box of family pictures (we lost all baby pictures) and my dog. And......a kick ass laptop, yea boy! almost back to where we were!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HardAct said:

Was looking at battlefield v, but I'm sure the install is a huge one, at least 70gigs! Plus I'd have download EA's origin right? I went to the laundromat a mile away and they had way better wifi. So I could just sit in their parking lot and download anything in an hour or so ....lol. 

 

Never had to ever think of stealing wifi to get my game on. I'll download Origin tonight and see how big Battlefield V is 😋

 

Stealing wifi is as American as apple pie. Leech away! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2018 at 11:53 PM, stepee said:

 

Of course! I don’t know how pc disc games work now, maybe you could get one at best buy I could pay for? What do you want to play? Sure we can figure it out!

WELL I'D LOVE BATTLEFIELD V

 

        I like how theres no DLC this time, and even though I suck at them, I'd love to have a game like that one to test the limits of this laptop! :twothumbsup:. I think you can buy codes cheap from CD keys maybe? I know I will not be buying games in awhile. I've bought runner 3 on switch for 3 dollars and monopoly on cartridge from walmart for wife and me on switch 19.99. That's it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HardAct said:

WELL I'D LOVE BATTLEFIELD V

 

        I like how theres no DLC this time, and even though I suck at them, I'd love to have a game like that one to test the limits of this laptop! :twothumbsup:. I think you can buy codes cheap from CD keys maybe? I know I will not be buying games in awhile. I've bought runner 3 on switch for 3 dollars and monopoly on cartridge from walmart for wife and me on switch 19.99. That's it!

 

I can get you a key for sure! Just want to double check that you can download it. It’s about 50gb. If that works let me know otherwise we have to figure smtn else out like a switch game or something!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2018 at 1:19 PM, foosh said:

Are you mainly just looking for something to game on?

Yes.........without it being to obvious. I'm telling the wife it'll be great for skype , facebook, etc. All-the-while i'm thinking gaming lol!

   

    In my previous life { you know the I had 3 weeks ago...lol } I would've bought something in the very high end range, usually cost was the last thing I looked at. Only thing I hesitated on lately was pulling the trigger on a GTX 2080Ti as there just way to overprice because of availability. !000.00 maybe 1150.00, but not paying what there going for now. That's all put way way on hold. I think the one I bought will be a good compromise maybe even a bit on the better side of compromise even. I hate buying place holder items, knowing I will upgrade sooner than later. Like building a new gaming PC with a 1080Ti knowing I really want a 2080Ti. I know me, I'll buy the more expensive one every time. Like I said though, for the most part that way of thinking isn't viable now or in the near future.  

 

    I love the keyboard on this laptop, so silent and so easy to type on. The track pad is very sensitive. I find myself ever so slightly lifting my finger while scrolling accidentally dragging things and dropping them places they aren't supposed to go. I find this happens in situations like scrolling through lists in folders on the C drive accidentally dragging things and dropping them onto other items in the ;list making a folder, and odd things like that! Weird I know, I get used to it. Found the wife using this laptop late late last night on facebook video chatting with a few girlfriends with a huge smile on her face. That alone is well worth the cost as it tough lately for her to find anything to smile about. Shes is hurting so much from Donnie's situation, I'm seriously afraid she won't be able to handle it. I don't know how I'm gonna handle it, I do better with it knowing I have to be for her, but I'm struggling every bit as much, and it just FUCKING sucks so much I have a real hard time talking. This forum has been a Life saver, you guys are awesome. You know who you are, I thank you so very damn much. I wish we could just have a huge D1P group Hug! I really do.

 

     Just reading about other things than FUCKING Cancer is a huge brake. When I just stop and think everything comes rushing in and seem quite hopeless again!  Thanks for bearing through my grammar and punctuation, I do really try and look educated, really I do! Even trying to use bigger words I have no business using! Thanks for everything, I kinda went off the rails here on this thread / topic and linked it in my mind to the "Good morning Fellow Gamers" Topic.

 

     Thanks for the advise, I hope I made a good decision. I've been downloading Doom from Steam for over 24 hours now, so it is what it is . . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, stepee said:

 

I can get you a key for sure! Just want to double check that you can download it. It’s about 50gb. If that works let me know otherwise we have to figure smtn else out like a switch game or something!

It better than I thought, I figured over 70 gigs. I know it's a new game and comes with a high price tag. I would love battlefield V though it get my mind off of some shit. Shooting people in the face with a controller has always been a great stress release in the past. May take the better part of a full day, hope there is no 20+ gig patch after that though! I can also pick a cheaper game or a switch game or what ever, just browsing games again felt good. I thank you for that alone. 

 

I did download Origin and recovered my passwords and am ready to go there. So there's that! Let me know what works for you too man, I'm open to anything any way . . .THANKS

 

HardAct

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, HardAct said:

It better than I thought, I figured over 70 gigs. I know it's a new game and comes with a high price tag. I would love battlefield V though it get my mind off of some shit. Shooting people in the face with a controller has always been a great stress release in the past. May take the better part of a full day, hope there is no 20+ gig patch after that though! I can also pick a cheaper game or a switch game or what ever, just browsing games again felt good. I thank you for that alone. 

 

I did download Origin and recovered my passwords and am ready to go there. So there's that! Let me know what works for you too man, I'm open to anything any way . . .THANKS

 

HardAct

 

Better start your download!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I Got it, BAMM!

THANKS Stepee sir, appreciate the kindness. I'm HardAct on xbox, ps4, steam, origin, ubisoft, nintendo, everywhere. Hope to see you on the battlefield soon bud!

 

Its downloading right now.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

finished the first War Story in the campaign and I am impressed. I know that CoD4 didn't have a campaign this time and I bought it along with all DLC ahead of time, but Battlefield V's  single player part has me really enjoying myself. Only an hour or so after the wife goes to sleep. But I'm loving the escape from what life has tested us with as of late. Fun stuff and a great looking game too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

totally amazed how well this laptop runs games. I'm still drooling at the prospect of building a new 2080Ti based gaming rig, but for the most part that has been pushed back a ways! I have never had a Laptop for gaming and I am glad I pulled the trigger and spent the 1799.99 { was 1999.99 } but had 200.00 off Cyber Monday! This thing just doesn't stumble at all. I'm playing Battlefield V Ultra and rarely dips past 60fps. I just was not expecting that. So playing Doom everything maxed and it averages 100-160fps! Just a fun powerful\laptop worth a look if anyone is in for a new one. 

 

Cons: Boy can it get loud, but running graphics that high it is to be expected, other than that there is nothing I'm not liking at all . . .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah gaming laptops still get pretty hot/loud. i got a lap rest for mine that has two fans that blow upwards powered by the usb on the laptop that I like. It props it up a bit so the fan isn’t right on the floor. You might like something like that, it was $20 or so I think. If you are hearing the noise try lifting up the back a bit and see how it sounds quieter, that’s what a good rest could do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had one of those MSI gaming laptops. It was ok - but I got sick of it being huge. I bought a 15" MacBook Pro and rebuilt my gaming HTPC when the new corsair lapdogs came out. Love it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×