The Lion King (2019) Trailer and Discussion Thread (Update: Reviews)

johnny

8 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

While Disney has put out some stellar shit, they are also making some middling movies and/or bad movies too, such as:

-Alice Through the Looking Glass

-Beauty and the Beast (arguable I guess)

-Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

-Cars 3

-A Wrinkle in Time

-Christopher Robin (arguable as well)

-The Nutcracker and the Four Realms

-Solo: A Star Wars Story

I have no idea if The Lion King remake will be good. Jon Favreau gives me hope because he did such a great job with The Jungle Book, but it is going to be tough to translate The Lion King, musicals and all (if he keeps any of the song and dance numbers, which I'm assuming he won't), to photo-realistic 3D CG animals. I hope he pulls it off, I'll need to see more than this teaser though to be able to tell. 

I didn’t say everything they released has been amazing, but they’re on quite a roll and haven’t shown any signs of an actual dip in quality. 

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Pretty sure if it's on par with Beauty and the Beast and brings in over a billion, Disney will be pretty happy. 

Given the pedigree of the material and the talent behind it, I wouldn't be too worried right now. 

I mean yeah, I have hope. I thought The Jungle Book was pretty good. I didn't care for Beauty and the Beast though. Didn't dislike it or anything, it was just neither here nor there for me. 

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean yeah, I have hope. I thought The Jungle Book was pretty good. I didn't care for Beauty and the Beast though. Didn't dislike it or anything, it was just neither here nor there for me. 

I never got around to watching The Jungle Book, maybe I should. 

But Beauty and the Beast made well over a billion at the box office, so you're probably in the minority there. :p 

On 11/30/2018 at 5:29 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I never got around to watching The Jungle Book, maybe I should. 

But Beauty and the Beast made well over a billion at the box office, so you're probably in the minority there. :p 

I'm definitely in the minority but I do think in this case that's because people have a blind spot for these films. But a lot of people genuinely liked Beauty and the Beast. My wife, who loves the original film, also thought the live-action remake didn't inspire the same feelings for her, so I don't know. :p 

On 11/29/2018 at 11:58 AM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Beauty and the Beast was great, reviewed pretty well, and made a ton at the box office. I don't really think that's arguable. 

Beauty and the Beast has a 7.2 rating at IMDB and 71% fresh, 6.7 rating from the critics. It is the very definition of a mixed/good movie. But not great. 

• Thanks 1

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 4:27 PM, Greatoneshere said:

Agreed. I loved the original film, but the live action Beauty and the Beast did nothing for me. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Director Jon Favreau’s all-new “The Lion King” journeys to the African savanna where a future king is born. Simba idolizes his father, King Mufasa, and takes to heart his own royal destiny. But not everyone in the kingdom celebrates the new cub’s arrival. Scar, Mufasa’s brother—and former heir to the throne—has plans of his own. The battle for Pride Rock is ravaged with betrayal, tragedy and drama, ultimately resulting in Simba’s exile. With help from a curious pair of newfound friends, Simba will have to figure out how to grow up and take back what is rightfully his. The all-star cast includes Donald Glover as Simba, Beyoncé Knowles-Carter as Nala, James Earl Jones as Mufasa, Chiwetel Ejiofor as Scar, Seth Rogen as Pumbaa and Billy Eichner as Timon. Utilizing pioneering filmmaking techniques to bring treasured characters to life in a whole new way, Disney’s “The Lion King” roars into theaters on July 19, 2019.

• 1 month later...
Just now, HGLatinBoy said:

This movie makes no sense. I still don't get why they didn't rehire all of the original voice actors. Jeremy Irons has such a distinct voice I don't even know they didn't get him to come back. 

The movie is set in Africa, so I'm assuming they wanted a mostly black cast.

Previous cast:

main-qimg-225bd0a161f3f1ff8fb7ef7a71ad8c

New cast:

1509650533-lion_king.jpg

Dunno why they wouldn't bring Whoopi back, but maybe James Earl Jones was the one that they wouldn't want to cast differently.

• Like 1

I find it slightly odd that in the trailer you barely see any of the animals talking. That's the one element of the CG that worries me. I'm sure they'll get the fur right and the movements will look natural and all the rest, but making a photo-real lion speak english isn't something you have reference material for.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

I find it slightly odd that in the trailer you barely see any of the animals talking. That's the one element of the CG that worries me. I'm sure they'll get the fur right and the movements will look natural and all the rest, but making a photo-real lion speak english isn't something you have reference material for.

The clip they showed at Cinemacon was pretty good in this regard, but still a little off.

7 hours ago, johnny said:

This looks fucking amazing. Don’t even care if it’s literally a shot for shot remake 

I'm surprised that that trailer actually got me excited. Don't get me wrong, it IS pointless, but I'm actually really curious to see this now.

These trailers hit me right in the feels. Lion King is my favorite Disney animated movie of all time. I have an emotional attachment to it like no other. I was just 12 years old and my mother had been terminally ill for a while. She passed a year after Lion King released. I remember the death of Mufasa particularly hit me hard. Knowing my mom would die sooner than later was a truth I tried very hard to avoid. But when I saw that scene I couldn’t help but be reminded that I too would be losing a parent.  

Now I can’t say that Lion King prepared me or helped me through the loss. But the parallel happened at about the right time to emotionally draw me in more than any Disney movie prior or since. Or really any movie. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...