The Lion King (2019) Trailer and Discussion Thread (Update: Reviews)

johnny

Looks amazing

Disney's The Lion King opens in theatres July 19, 2019. 

From Disney Live Action, director Jon Favreau’s all-new “The Lion King” journeys to the African savanna where a future king must overcome betrayal and tragedy to assume his rightful place on Pride Rock.

1 hour ago, EternallDarkness said:

impressive and I know I am going to see it and it will make a ton of cash, but just from that little snippet seems to confirm my fear that it's going to be nothing more than a shot for shot remake. 

1. What’s wrong with that and 2. How can you tell it’s going to be EXACTLY the same off of a teaser lol 

I barely remember the jungle book cartoon but the live action one was essentially the same and it was awesome. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, johnny said:

1. What’s wrong with that and 2. How can you tell it’s going to be EXACTLY the same off of a teaser lol 

I barely remember the jungle book cartoon but the live action one was essentially the same and it was awesome. 

Technically nothing is wrong with it, but the original is such a classic that just redoing it exactly as it was done seems....I don't want to say pointless, perhaps unnecessary. As for how I can tell it's going to be that way, honestly I can't, though I have watched the movie countless times that's how it looked to me from the quick shots of the scenes they showed. As I said, I'll be there. 

Jon Favreau is a good director and I think this along with The Jungle Book will be two of the better adaptions. With that said, am I the only one who thinks this is visually not artistic enough? It lacks the majesty of the original. It feels somewhat sterile.

The cartoon is like Breath of the Wild.

This version is like a generic PS4/Xbox One game with great graphics but bad gameplay. 

20 minutes ago, Dragonseeker said:

Jon Favreau is a good director and I think this along with The Jungle Book will be two of the better adaptions. With that said, am I the only one who thinks this is visually not artistic enough? It lacks the majesty of the original. It feels somewhat sterile.

The cartoon is like Breath of the Wild.

This version is like a generic PS4/Xbox One game with great graphics but bad gameplay. 

Yes 

So this is now the second most watched teaser in its first 24 hours. I wasn't particularly excited by it, but it's money in the bank.

Beauty and the Beast did $500m, Incredibles 2 made $600m, and Jurassic World made $650. I think that $600m domestic is the floor for this one if the coming trailers are any good. I wouldn't bet against $700m+, and it wouldn't shock me if it became the first $1B domestic gross.

7 hours ago, johnny said:

People are way too upset this is being called live action. Who gives a shit this movie is going to be great even if it’s a shot for shot remake because the original is fantastic. 

Nobody's upset it's called live-action.

It just shouldn't be called live-action. :p 

• Guillotine 1

11 hours ago, johnny said:

People are way too upset this is being called live action. Who gives a shit this movie is going to be great even if it’s a shot for shot remake because the original is fantastic. 

So at best your argument is that the remake is creatively unnecessary and thus completely pointless to bother even making in the first place?

They took a 2D hand-drawn animated film and are remaking it into a weird-looking photo-realistic 3D CG animated film. 

• Guillotine 1

I imagine most people that call it "live action" realize it's CG, even if they might not realize it's entirely CG. Still, when you say CG animation people think Pixar style animation. "Live action" is technically incorrect, but it's more suggestive of the visual style of the film than the typical conception of "computer animation." It also doesn't help that it's one in a string of remakes that have actually been live action to varying degrees.

20 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I imagine most people that call it "live action" realize it's CG, even if they might not realize it's entirely CG. Still, when you say CG animation people think Pixar style animation. "Live action" is technically incorrect, but it's more suggestive of the visual style of the film than the typical conception of "computer animation." It also doesn't help that it's one in a string of remakes that have actually been live action to varying degrees.

I understand the reasons why people are being stupid, and this is me helping to correct them, one mind at a time. :p 

• Guillotine 1

6 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Yes cause it’ll be awesome. 

The really great thing is every 10 years or so a new awesome group of up and coming actors will be available.  And now that this CGI is done they can just have a new group of actors do voice overs every 10 years... and every 10 years it will be awesome.  And if Disney does this with their whole catalog of movies there will never be a reason to ever green light a new idea again!

• Guillotine 1

34 minutes ago, number305 said:

The really great thing is every 10 years or so a new awesome group of up and coming actors will be available.  And now that this CGI is done they can just have a new group of actors do voice overs every 10 years... and every 10 years it will be awesome.  And if Disney does this with their whole catalog of movies there will never be a reason to ever green light a new idea again!

The Lion King will be 25 years old when this releases. A remake is fine. 

And Disney is still doing new stuff all the time. Don't be ridiculous.

3 hours ago, number305 said:

:Wrong:

4 hours ago, number305 said:

Yeah but the lion king didn't have any up and coming actors. Cheech gonna be mad his voice is changed!

3 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

The Lion King will be 25 years old when this releases. A remake is fine. 

And Disney is still doing new stuff all the time. Don't be ridiculous.

Seriously. Disney is taking over more and more of entertainment, but they’re putting out absolutely stellar shit. 

11 hours ago, johnny said:

Seriously. Disney is taking over more and more of entertainment, but they’re putting out absolutely stellar shit. 

While Disney has put out some stellar shit, they are also making some middling movies and/or bad movies too, such as:

-Alice Through the Looking Glass

-Beauty and the Beast (arguable I guess)

-Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

-Cars 3

-A Wrinkle in Time

-Christopher Robin (arguable as well)

-The Nutcracker and the Four Realms

-Solo: A Star Wars Story

I have no idea if The Lion King remake will be good. Jon Favreau gives me hope because he did such a great job with The Jungle Book, but it is going to be tough to translate The Lion King, musicals and all (if he keeps any of the song and dance numbers, which I'm assuming he won't), to photo-realistic 3D CG animals. I hope he pulls it off, I'll need to see more than this teaser though to be able to tell. 

• Guillotine 1