Sign in to follow this  
johnny

Movies The Lion King (2019) Trailer and Discussion Thread (Update: Reviews)

6.29/10 avg rating isn't all that bad when you really look at it. Usually movies in 57% range usually have lower average scores. Aladdin has a 5.89 and SLOP 2 has a 5.72 with similar RT percentages.

Edit: Tomatometer is up to 60% and 6.49/10

19 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I'm really amazed by how polarized the reviews have been so far. A not insignificant chunk of the positive reviews are giving it near perfect scores. The others are talking uncanny valley, creatively bankrupt.

It's not uniform, but some people really love it. Some were just turned the hell off by the whole thing.

There are so many people who are turned off at the idea of these live action remakes and more people are mad that this film is being called live action. That’s why I can’t take that review by Ehrlich seriously. Read his review and look at some of his tweets. He’s clearly one of those people. I don’t think his whole review is garbage and I’m sure there will be a couple things he pointed out that I’ll agree with but critics are like Supreme Court justices. Some think they might be impartial but in reality they all have their biases. 

It's not just that it's a live action remake that might feel unnecessary, it's that we've already had two of these in the last few months, with more on the way. If they had spaced these out a bit more, the reception might have been a little better. 

16 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

It's not just that it's a live action remake that might feel unnecessary, it's that we've already had two of these in the last few months, with more on the way. If they had spaced these out a bit more, the reception might have been a little better. 

They haven't perfected Pinocchio yet. They should do that one next!

5 hours ago, TheLeon said:

It does feel odd that they’re just bombarding everyone with these instead of spacing them out. 

10 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

It does feel odd that they’re just bombarding everyone with these instead of spacing them out. 

Maybe it's something about extending copyrights? 

I watched it over the weekend and I must say I did not like it at all. The lack of emotions due to the hyper realistic look of everything really hurts the movie imo. I hated the changes they made to the story. I hated how they changed Rafiki. The songs were boring compared to the original. They took out the funny cartoony bits (they had to). The hyenas were boring. Beyonce sounds like she's trying too hard the entire time. They ruined "Can you feel the love tonight" which makes me mad. I literally only giggled at one joke the entire movie and it's what they did to replace the hula scene. Other than that, I felt nothing the entire movie. 

I had to rewatch Beaty and the Beast to make me feel better about these live action remakes. I loved that one so much. I also watched Dumbo a couple of weeks back and didn't like that one either. So far 1 for 3 in these remakes for me. I have yet to see Aladdin but now I'm nervous to.

I would suggest waiting for on demand or something and not wasting the money it costs to see this in theaters.